Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Oil pressure buzzer

I'd like to build one for my race car - any of you electrical dudes out there know how to make one?

I'm guessing -

Use the existing oil pressure sender - work out what range it has (ohms) and what corresponds to what pressure.

Some transistory type thing that flicks a voltage to a budget tone generator and speaker thingee when it sees a certain resistance signal.

orrr.. buy one off the shelf from somewhere.

Look at the gauge?? :unsure:

But yea im sure it could be done....

Look at the gauge?? :unsure:

But yea im sure it could be done....

Loud buzzers get your attention quicker when you have dropped heaps of money on your new motor hah.

Loud buzzers get your attention quicker when you have dropped heaps of money on your new motor hah.

True story....

Are you running electrical gauges or mechanical?? You could possibly hook up some kind of 'shift light' type thing that will alert you? Defi ( I think ) do gauges that flash red like hardout when you get above a certain pressure, could be of some help perhaps...

True story....

Are you running electrical gauges or mechanical?? You could possibly hook up some kind of 'shift light' type thing that will alert you? Defi ( I think ) do gauges that flash red like hardout when you get above a certain pressure, could be of some help perhaps...

I'll need lights and buzzers.

I'll need lights and buzzers.

and vibrate!

What about TXT alert :D

Sorry to hi jack just had to drop that one in there :rolleyes:

Guest Ken

I'd like to build one for my race car - any of you electrical dudes out there know how to make one?

I'm guessing -

Use the existing oil pressure sender - work out what range it has (ohms) and what corresponds to what pressure.

Some transistory type thing that flicks a voltage to a budget tone generator and speaker thingee when it sees a certain resistance signal.

It looks like some of the later VWs have that arrangement. I would think a higher-end OEM as opposed to DIY would give more piece of mind in terms of reliability?

I'm guessing -

Andrew - just add an oil pressure sender (switch type, not guage one) into the system & use it to earth a buzzer.

I assume you are running a pressure guage? If so just tee in an extra sender as well or if you are still running oil light you can use that sender & put a diode in line to stop feedback. You can also buy adjustable pressure senders (better as you can set the pressure higher) so that you can alter switching pressure according to needs. Ign supply to a buzzer that will earth through switch until pressure is reached.

Andrew - just add an oil pressure sender (switch type, not guage one) into the system & use it to earth a buzzer.

I assume you are running a pressure guage? If so just tee in an extra sender as well or if you are still running oil light you can use that sender & put a diode in line to stop feedback. You can also buy adjustable pressure senders (better as you can set the pressure higher) so that you can alter switching pressure according to needs. Ign supply to a buzzer that will earth through switch until pressure is reached.

Sounds like the go - will let you know how it goes.

I was runing an oil pressure sender/switch unit in my black car.

It had two terminals on the sender unit, one for the oil pressure signal and the other post was for a buzzer.

The guages and sender units i used were all VDO stuff.

I had ENZED make up a T-join so i could mount the factory oil sender switch and the after market switch in the factory place.

Edited by bumpstop325