Sign in to follow this  
mthree

E36 M3 Smokin' on the track

Hey,

Today I took my M3 round the Taupo racetrack. All was going well until it started pouring a big f**k off cloud of smoke out the exhaust, nothing was coming from the engine. I pitted to check it out and found there was quite a bit of oil in the airfilter box. There was no loss of power but it idles quite rough. After wiping out the oil and giving it a casual run up & down the roan it didn't smoke anymore.

I got brave took it back on the track and it did it again (but not as bad.)

I assume under hard cornering oil has been forced up the breather into the intake and the oil gets burnt in the engine which makes all the smoke.

Does this sound correct?

What should I check out to make sure it's ok and how can I prevent this happening again? I thought beingn M3 it would take to hard cornering like a fish to water but I guess I was wrong, hah.

Also the idle being rough, probably just fouled plugs? I'll check them on the weekend, any other ideas?

94 M3 3.0 btw engine had a rebuild before I got it and it had a service a couple of weeks ago.

if its idling rough it could just be the airflow meter contaminated from the oil, but then again it could be low compression.. i'd say clean the AFM thoroughly and get a compression test done to check for consistency across the cylinders just to be sure.

Hey, Today I took my M3 round the Taupo racetrack. All was going well until it started pouring a big f**k off cloud of smoke out the exhaust, nothing was coming from the engine

Hi Guys, I bought Nastnas's yellow E36 M3 and today had the EXACT same problem as this guy at Taupo......after pulling the pin on the track day (very concerned) by the time we got back to town it was all running clear again.

Some other posts suggest a group n oil restrictor or something.....

Any suggestions......?

Alan the Aussie (morerevsm3) was doing these as well yes?