Sign in to follow this  
rollas22

Clunky noise in rear E36

Ok so i took the compressed springs out in the rear this morning cause of the noise an lock up it caused yestrday when installing them... replaced with my superlow jamex springs an now there is a clunky noise in the rear... a

After every rotation the wheels do theres a clunk... thought it mite be the brake disc covers but its not them...

COuld it be the diff?

broken tooth maybe?

anyone else had this problem?

Possibly yes and you will need to have the diff pulled down for inspection. It is worth checking the joints in the drive shaft beforehand though. Also the other thing to consider is that in the e30 (and Im guessing the e36 would be the similar) is that the driveshafts are not allowed to drop down too far (thats why the diff is unbolted from the body) as they are easily damage by over extending them in terms of angle. It really is a case of looking at all components.

As said, your CV joints have probably given in with the angle but the loud bang sounds like your diff - mine made a very audible loud bang when it sheared itself and locked up. Can you spin either rear wheel freely with the other side locked?

Edited by Carl

Ok so i was thinking all day what i had changed an done different... Rung BMW here in town an they seamed to think it was in my Hub.

Then it came to me, i brought locknut studs the other day an put them in the day i had done the springs...

Got home an pulled them out an measured against the standard stud... they where 6mm longer than the standards

So took it for a drive an its mint now, no noises or anything.

But im just a bit curious to no what it was hitting on an if it caused any damage inside the hub?

Random.. leason learnt always check you have the rite part (was sent the wrong part) just assumed the shop new what they was giving me...

Lucky it was only that i rekon! coulda been in for BIG $$$$

you beat me to it, I was going to ask if you had checked the studs. :P If the studs are too long they catch on the handbrake cable. It's a common problem on Euro vehicles as they run wheel studs rather than wheel nuts.

glad to hear that it is sorted now.