Sign in to follow this  
Simo

Set of Shocks for 1994 325i E36

I am looking to update the shocks in a 325ic 1994 E36, I need some advice on value for money shocks, taking into account that the more money you spend the better the ride, so if any folk have done this upgrade, would be good to hear from you

Hi, I'm currently looking for the same thing for my 94 325i coupe. Any suggestions or prices appreciated.

Munroe reflexes would have set me back $200ish for the fronts and $170ish for the rears retail.

Can't complain really,they are shortened about 60mm though.

Good bang for buck IMO

Munroe reflexes would have set me back $200ish for the fronts and $170ish for the rears retail.

Can't complain really,they are shortened about 60mm though.

Good bang for buck IMO

Talked to my local butcher shop, he reckons Monroes OK, Bilstein the next up the ladder, Kayma (Spelling?) the best, depends what you want to spend he reckons - if its your pride and joy top dollar, shopping basket - cheapest, I understood that Bilstein are the best, so I dont know. Because its such an important part of what makes BMW handle, you can only put the best shocks in. Most shops & dealers will recommend what they can supply and install, so you have to go with the brand of shock that will do the job for the type of driving you want to do....motorway who cares, rural and long distance driving - put in the best I suppose

Never heard of Kayma, but Bilstein and Koni are popular. In the US they usually run Bilstein shocks + H&R springs or Koni shocks + Eibach springs. FK is also another company but I've only seen coilovers from them, not sure about normal shocks. Tein and Vogtland also deal in suspensions for the E36.

For an unmodified vehicle we use the OE Boge shock absorbers which we get from an alternative supplier for E36 6 cylinder vehicles. We use Monroe for the 4 cylinder vehicles. The retail price is about $265.00 per shock, but I can do you a deal. But I'll need the shaft size and the threaded length at the top where the strut mount bolts on. There are three variations. Or if the shocks on the car are still the genuine ones, give me the number off the shock body.

If you supply that info I can get back to you with a price.

Cheers

Glenn

For an unmodified vehicle we use the OE Boge shock absorbers which we get from an alternative supplier for E36 6 cylinder vehicles. We use Monroe for the 4 cylinder vehicles. The retail price is about $265.00 per shock, but I can do you a deal. But I'll need the shaft size and the threaded length at the top where the strut mount bolts on. There are three variations. Or if the shocks on the car are still the genuine ones, give me the number off the shock body.

Cheers

Glenn

I had a service done at Jeff Gray, and they mentioned the front shocks were worn - reason being that he could lift the front wheels by hand slightly when it was up on the car hoist. Does this sound normal? Could the wrong shocks be in there to begin with?

The car has been lowered slightly (previous owner) I believe on Mtech suspension. I'll have to check.

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, this 325ic has 17" mags, and possibly lowered, not knowing what to look for here, it might not be as well, I recently had all the wheels off to deal to the brake calipers, ie tidy up and clean, cant recall seeing any numbers on the shock body, there was a plastic cover that covered 50% of the shock so could be under that. Will have a quick look with the torch to see if I can pickup a serial number and get back to you.

Hi, I'm currently looking for the same thing for my 94 325i coupe. Any suggestions or prices appreciated.

Have some pricing FYI inc GST (no fitting)

Monroe - 256 Front - 116 Rear

Kayaba - 340 Front - 122 Rear

Gabriel - 193 Front - 136 Rear

Bilstein - 464 Front - 220 Rear

Quoted about 4.5 hours & $55 per hour fitting front & rear, plus rear shock mounts ($76ea), pricing from local garage, he has been pretty sharp on the pricing with everything else on the BMW, The Bilsteins courtesy of Auto align - no fitting charge quoted with this, or shock mounts - Hey - remember to add in a wheel alignment as well around $60inc

Edited by Simo

I really like my Bilsteins.

They are called a "sprint II" which I think means they have a short body for low springs.

I bought them 2nd hand so...

I really like my Bilsteins.

They are called a "sprint II" which I think means they have a short body for low springs.

I bought them 2nd hand so...

Where did you buy them and who fitted them mate?

I bought them 2nd hand from a guy I know. The catalogue was in German and we couldn't figure out what the hell it was on about, except they were e36 fitment and had to be used with shorter springs. :P

Paid $800 (full set of 4) and fitted them myself.