Sign in to follow this  
thefurriesthen

Perception of BMWs and BMW drivers in New Zealand

Hey guys,

First off, I'd like to point out that I am a PR person. I wanted to make that clear as I really hate PRs that come into forums and pretend that they're not what they are. They normally get found out anyway as it's usually pretty obvious! lol

Right, before you all go running off, let me assure you that I don't work for the 'darkside' and am all for the good of the BMW brand :)

I have been lurking on this board for a while and I've loved reading through some of the threads. I'm not actually a BMW driver- I have a little red Mazda MX5 but if I read many more of these topics I may end up converted! lol

I'm trying to understand the NZ perception of the BMW brand a bit more and it would really help me if you could let me know what your opinions are....

Firstly, what is your personal perception of BMW? What makes the cars so good? What do you love about them?

Secondly, how do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and partcularly by non-BMW owners/drivers? How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

Thirdly, what do you think of BMW advertising/marketing? Did it have an effect on your car choice? How do you think they could advertise/market themselves better?

That's about all I have to ask for now although if you have any other comments feel free to post them! Also, any advice on other forums/blogs that might be useful would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Jen

Firstly, what is your personal perception of BMW? What makes the cars so good? What do you love about them?

I love the long tradition of excellence behind them, the quality and effort that goes into each one, how they handle, how they look.... induviduality (or at least, used to be).. everything really.

Secondly, how do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and partcularly by non-BMW owners/drivers? How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

Depends on the car you drive, i've found some people are really jelous and try to put my car down, which rarks me up quite a bit - some are fine with it. Then some try and get all smartass and race you - thats just plain gay.

Thirdly, what do you think of BMW advertising/marketing? Did it have an effect on your car choice? How do you think they could advertise/market themselves better?

I reckon their marketing is pretty fine, very stereotypical of the BMW/Mercedes brands... but, they're all good.

Edited by BMW Power

What is PR.

I don't have any reason that I own BMW apart from the fact that it is a BMW and their history as Emma said is good.

I think nieve peoples perceptions are that they are crappy,break down heaps and parts are overpriced,where most others (that I know anyways) will appreciate it for what it is.I think different people have a whole lot of different perceptions without any facts/knowledge to back it up.Get called a pretty/rich/fag boy all the time haha but thats from wankers at school who think pulling bumpers,lights,grills,numberplates off their mazda familias make it a cool car.

Marketing is awesome,why not market badass cars...

What is PR.

Public Relations.

I had no real perception of BMW at all before I bought one. All I really thought was that they were expensive to fix. I ended up buying one as it was cheap to buy, cheap to run, and looked nice - without sacraficing cabin comforts.

I think a lot of people think BMW (and all euro drivers) are bastards who think they own the road. I drive a small-engined 3 series, which I'm well aware has people laughing at me for buying the cheap version of an expensive car. I think when it comes down to it, people who don't own a BMW think that people who do own a BMW are a little bit pretentious and poserish - but in a suit/corporate way (rather than the pretentious and poserish Supra drivers who are in more of a music video way ;))

I can't say as I've ever noticed any BMW marketing, ever.

There again - I have never been in the market to buy a car brand new off a lot.

I drive an older BMW but the quality of the cars is so good, even though i could go and buy a new car why would I, it would look half as good, the parts would be just as expensive as BMW dealer parts, and I would have a car like a lot more people on the road.

I like the individuality of the cars, the subtle advertising is great, and just like owning one, would never look at a different brand for a replacement, however would consider if I needed a run about

I think there are perceptions that we own the road out there also!

After owning three of them im a little biased, but BMW are one of the only car manufactures that take vehicles handling seriously and think that anything else but RWD is pants :)

I think initally BMWs brand has been good, but the rash of singapore imports and "boy racers" turning them into a stereotype has damaged the older BMW's brand a little bit. however the newer cars are more seen as 40+ cars.

People think newer BMW's are slow. (mainly because of the mass importation of 318i's) when infact nothing could be further from the truth.

I think BMW's ponsonby OGGI advertising is a little boring. a static car on a white background. Hell they even used this for advertising the painted cars are the museum except I found it pretty commical that they had a painted e90 330 sedan advertising cars that were nearly thirty years old. Bit cliche' for some of us.

However, the european way of advertising BMWs is great. The american way isnt. (place F1 driver in swapsies for e92 m3 around track)

this is me speaking from my observations and non sugar coating it ... hehe sorry :)

miss this sh*t, BMW's blow goats

just get a Honda and become a God

How do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and partcularly by non-BMW owners/drivers? How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

It really depends what the age is of the BMW. I, when driving my uncles near new 545i, have had abuse hurled at me at the lights in the not-so-nice parts of town. This was simply because I was a young man, driving an expensive car. That particular car has also been keyed an incredible number of times, to the point when my uncle bought a Peugeot 307 to run around in, leaving the BMW purely for weekends and some work travelling.

However, if the person is driving a 1985 BMW 320i, with bent bumpers and gold peeling paint, that person is likely to be regarded just like every other 20 year old budget car driver.

But, I have found - especially in rural towns, where BMWs are not so commonplace, that the driver a BMW is regarded as a "rich prick", even though the BMW they are driving is 10 years old and worth about $6K. This results from a large stereotype that BMW drivers are just that, rich pricks.

I see them as the sportier side of German engineering without paying through the nose like for a Merc. I like the handling, quality (sometimes), and how they feel.

How do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and partcularly by non-BMW owners/drivers? How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

People will generally see that it's an expensive toy regardless of the age. But with the flood of imports BMW's image gets quite watered down now. Which is kind of good in a way (for me).

Not good enough. I am already into my nth BMW, so it doesn't really affect my car choice. Dealer service will affect my decisions more than some slick advertising. However I prefer for more car advertising generally in NZ.

Guess he was lurking as a guest, sneaky lurker :ph34r:

Hi there,

Thanks for all the feedback so far :) I didn't expect to get so much so quickly!

Guess he was sneaking as a guest, sneaky lurker

Yeah, I (a she by the way ;) )have been lurking around for a little while mainly because I didn't have anything to say (I'm a Mazda driver- sure that I don't have much to say that could be of interest to you guys!!) Also, I was a bit unsure about how you would react to me crashing your fourm to ask all these research type questions. I didn't want to seem rude or anything and I am VERY aware that a lot of forums hate public relations people barging into their space. Do let me know if you don't like me doing this by the way- although I am hopefuly soon to be part of the NZ BMW PR team so the info you are giving will help me out loads! Hmmmm....wonder how BMW will like me driving around in a Mazda- maybe I will have to swap cars...or keep the MX5 a secret.....anyway, I digress!!!

Thanks for all the help- keep it coming ;)

Hmmmm....wonder how BMW will like me driving around in a Mazda- maybe I will have to swap cars...or keep the MX5 a secret.....anyway, I digress!!!

Ask for a Z4 as company car. You have to 'represent' -)

I forgot to mention that Audi and Merc has regular dealer sponsored drive, which I don't think BMW has. Unless they're only inviting the big spenders.

Hi Jen, biggest PR hit for me would be sponsorship for the naked racecar, it is a BMW :wub:

Firstly, what is your personal perception of BMW?

Excellent engineering. Innovative technology. Quality. Precise. Over priced as new cars - NZ buyers are 'raped' by BMW.

What makes the cars so good?

Designed for a premium market so quality is built in.

What do you love about them?

The represent excellent value in the 2nd hand market - we bough a 8 year old NZ new BMW for a 10th of it's original cost. A 7 year old Mercedes was 25% of it's original cost.

Secondly, how do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and partcularly by non-BMW owners/drivers?

Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain.

How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

Before I bought my BMW I noticed that a BMW driver is more likely to let another driver into a lane, as oposed to say a Subaru owner (who more often then not drive like arse wipes). Someone with money. Someone who likes driving.

Thirdly, what do you think of BMW advertising/marketing?

It's nothing special.

No amount of marketing will make the new 5 series look OK, those headlights are just awful - was Chris Bangle having an off day? However the 7 series looks OK, as does the 3.

BMW marketing manages to gloss over the fact NZ new buyers are paying way way more for the same model than other markets.

Did it have an effect on your car choice?

No. I would only buy a new BMW if I lost all notion of value for money, or had a masive lotto win, where I no longer cared about value for money!

How do you think they could advertise/market themselves better?

(1) Get real on the pricing

(2) The best advertisement is word of mouth; At Grays, the Wellington BMW dealer they seem very alloof, cold, but still helpful (in that "ive got something better to do", like anything else other than serve you attitide). They seem completely uninterested in the fact you just purchased a NZ new 740 - are only the 3rd owner of what was an $185,000 car ($60,000 US for a higher spec in the US). We previously owned a BMW purchased from Shellys, where we were delighted with the service. Our Merc gets serviced by Wellington Star where you feel welcome - they seem to appreicate the fact you bough a Merc. We will probably get our 740 serviced there too. When we purchased an older NZ new Honda Legend a few years back, Honda gave us special treatment - they didn't care we hadn't bought it from them.

That's about all I have to ask for now although if you have any other comments feel free to post them! Also, any advice on other forums/blogs that might be useful would be much appreciated!

Edited by jimbo

Interesting topic you have posted up...Here a my thoughts. Don't take any of this personally anyone! :rolleyes:

Good Build Quality and easy to travel in. I can hop in my car drive to hamilton or tauraunga for a meeting and drive home - and not be buggered.

Secondly, how do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and partcularly by non-BMW owners/drivers?

Overpriced, Possibly snobby

How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

Someone who appriciates a quality motorcar, and has the money to purchase it. However this is not true as you can purchase late model bmws for a fair price now

Never Taken any notice of it.

My veiw is that Bmws are a good quality affordable car that represent huge value for money,when purchased second hand.

Cars that handle well and provide lots of driving pleasure. The cars are just so connected to the road, such a joy to drive. Given BMWs are the most expensive cars I've ever driven and I'm sure Porsches, Ferrari etc should be even better, I guess they are in a different class. I love how BMWs handle, how it's a driver's car. There's the heritage as has been mentioned, things like BMW Art cars... as a BMW driver you feel like you're part of this tradition. It's fun.

Snobs, people who buy them for the badge (though I'm sure there is a fair amount of people who do just that). BMW drivers who drive them for the driving experience are victims of blanket stereotyping. But that applies to pretty much everything in the world.

I think the advertising/marketing is fine. It has not affected my car choice so far, but it may in the future. I think they could market themselves more as a driver's car. IMO, people really have to drive the cars to understand the passion for driving that most of us on this forum have. Many people stand by the sidelines and say BMWs are expensive to maintain, not reliable, expensive to modify compared to Japanese cars, but that's not necessarily true. Put them in the seat and perhaps they will understand why we are so passionate about our cars. To me, my car does not just get me from A to B, it's also the pleasure I get from driving it on the road.

I forgot to mention that Audi and Merc has regular dealer sponsored drive, which I don't think BMW has. Unless they're only inviting the big spenders.

My dad has a Q7 and i have been to a sponsored drive, an extreamly fun day! i got to drive the RS4 (manual), S8 (a v10 lambo engin), S6, S4, S3 and the TT

As far as i know BMW has nothing like this.

For me it is about the drive, nothing more nothing less. The little badge doesn't mean anything for me. I love heaps of other marques of cars and have bought others before (2007 Suzuki Swift Sport - and will probably buy the new one when that comes out)

Seriously - the cars are good because of the orange glow in later model ones. That's right - the orange glow from the rear-view mirror. It feels like a submarine at DEFCON 2 (to quote Jeremy Clarkson). The 5 series does it best.

Not particularly well - there is still the misconception they are luxury expensive cruisers. I'd hardly call a 3 series luxury. Some of the rich bastard mentality probably pops in - but the average age of cars on this site is 20 years old.

In New Zealand it is terrible - I'm not sure who has the contract? DDB or M&C Saatchi from what I last remember. It's pretty forgettable. BMW are lucky in that it has one of the highest rates of brand loyatly - so much so that they should be getting on board and supporting clubs such as this one as most of us will continue to buy BMWs. That should be their marketing strategy. Like has been mentioned - bums in seats sells cars. They need to get that happening - although that is a dealer choice.

They could get real on pricing, and re-sale value.

My dad has a Q7 and i have been to a sponsored drive, an extreamly fun day! i got to drive the RS4 (manual), S8 (a v10 lambo engin), S6, S4, S3 and the TT

As far as i know BMW has nothing like this.

Aha, you did the S Experience day like me. Great day ay, and my sentiments exactly re BMW not doing the same thing.

You Tube Link to RS4 Clip

Edited by StylesM5

Like has been mentioned - bums in seats sells cars. They need to get that happening - although that is a dealer choice.

BMW need to realsie that there are a lot of people out there who may not be in a position to buy a new car now, but in 10 years that may change. We have a long memory of good things and an investment now from BMW may pay off for them later. In other words GIVE US DRIVE DAYS TO THRASH YOUR NEW M5'S AND M3'S. :rolleyes:

I used the term "raped" to describe the prices paid in NZ for new BMW. This is not a term I use lightly. To pay effectively double what the car is worth in another market - thats insane! Somehow BMW NZ gets away with it. :unsure:

Lets use the 750i - with basically the same spec in the US and NZ.

A 750i in NZ will cost NZ$219,000 or the equivalent of US$151,638

A 750i in the USA will cost NZ$110,537 or the in US$76,575.

Yes we are far away so transport cost rise, yes BMW NZ won't enjoy the same discounts as BMW USA - but DOUBLE the cost!!! :wacko:

With used example coming in from other markets there is serious pressure on the used value of BMW in NZ - so the depreciation is eye watering like a kick to the scrotum. :blink:

I guess the fact that people will pay way to much for a new BMW in this country means that there is huge value atttached to the badge, and that the perception of BMW owners being rich snobs is not without cause. However BMW are not alone in this - Kiwis pay way too much for any of the premium Euro badge's.

:thumbsdown:

Right. Time for way too much info and opinion spewing.

Firstly, what is your personal perception of BMW? What makes the cars so good?

Spending my early car loving years devouring car magazines led me to believe that BMW was special. They seemed an engineering-led firm that put dynamic prowess and driver involvement at the top of their list of priorities (witness adherence to RWD) and that they were constantly a step ahead of their competitors. Admirable too was their long and succesfull involvement in various forms of motorsport (watching the Schnitzer M3 beat the Gibson Nissan GTRs around Wellington was quite opinion forming). But... I also got the sense that they were a little clinical and soul-less, that their cars, though supreme, were characterless.

This perception has changed a bit in recent years. First they've fumbled the ball stylewise. I thought subdued but well proportioned and sportingly lean fitted the brand image quite well. Apparently I was wrong. Then the hyperbole and universal acclaim that accompanied any new BMW launch seemed to dry up. They no longer seem to make instant class leaders. I also get the sense that they've lost the magic touch vis-a-vis driver involvement. All that said, in the unlikely event that I'm ever in the market for a new or nearly new car, I'd still be drawn towards the BMW offering because I believe I'd be buying a car that was thoroughly engineered, well built and possessed of a high level of dynamic ability.

I love that most of the ones I've driven live up to their press.

Unfortunately, these days almost everybody has had a chance to drive their cousin's/counter-manager's/hairdresser's automatic 318i and is only too keen to tell you how slow and crap it was. Which just reinforces the perception that BMWs are bought by badge obsessed wankers who are stupid enough to pay more for a car that's not that good and will be really expensive to fix when it inevitably breaks down.

I find that even amongst supposedly car-savvy people there's a sense that BMWs are all mouth and no trousers, hype with little basis in reality (the real cognesceti understand why you've bought what you did and don't spend the rest of the discussion extolling the virtues of some other brand).

Can't say it's really registered with me. Are they still using 'The Ultimate Driving Machine'?

The only factor in my car-buying decision was price (It was either the BMW or a salmon-pink Mitsi Mirage with 'chrome' plastic hubcaps, a great radio (which you couldn't hear over the ridiculous exhaust) and a sloppy gearchange.

In terms of improving marketing etc... Dunno. Remind people of the history and tradition that goes with BMW? Let people have a play with the more impressive parts of the range? Dazzle them with science?

Firstly, what is your personal perception of BMW? What makes the cars so good?

Character. Which is why the new ones lose huge favour with me.

And character in a good way, not in the way an old Rover, Fiat, et al. have character by constantly rattling and breaking down.

Also an image of refined sportiness - like a new Bentley, but Bentley's more fun, less aggressive kid brother without the obesity problem.

Look, engaging drive, something a little out of the ordinary from the usual stuff my mates drive.

They think we're a bunch of self-important, pricks who think we drive a great machine that is actually pants. And they'd be right mostly - I think it about every other BMW driver other than those with a "different"/modified/higher spec model. As evidenced by the huge number of people that say they drive "m3's", but there's an m42 under the hood.

I see it, but its just another car advertiser. I agree with another contributor - invoke images from the companies history. Bank on the motorsport involvement, etc.

Start making e30's again with identical bodies, but better handling and lots more power.

Edited by bravo