Sign in to follow this  
mark247

WTB: 5 Speed trans and conversion kit

Im looking for a 5 speed and all the stuff needed to go with it so i can convert my PRE facelift 325i to manual.

Are these easy to find?

Anyone got one?

Thanks peeps!

TM

I know it says 1990, but it also says 323i which they didn't make in 1990 - they were all pre f/l so maybe you need to find out what car it REALLY came off.

Plus its a tad more expensive than the last one I bought, but theyve possibly gone up in price since then.

TM

I know it says 1990, but it also says 323i which they didn't make in 1990 - they were all pre f/l so maybe you need to find out what car it REALLY came off.

Plus its a tad more expensive than the last one I bought, but theyve possibly gone up in price since then.

I asked him and he said he believe it did come off a facelift. Are you sure they didn't make 323 facelifts? Cheers man!

Facelift and prefacelift use the same box etc unless I'm mistaken, ie interchangeable..

David - facelift box is missing the hole for the crank angle sensor. Pre f/l measures of the flywheel, so you can use pre f/l box on f/l but not the other way around unless you drill and tap the hole.

Pretty sure they don't make 323i f/ls but I could be wrong.

Edited by bravo

You're right, 323's stopped in Sept 86 if my info's right. Isn't it also possible to change the sensor position to facelift location with a few mods?

You're right, 323's stopped in Sept 86 if my info's right. Isn't it also possible to change the sensor position to facelift location with a few mods?

The guy on trademe must has the model wrong, because he says "to answer your question there is no sensor in this gearbox bellhousing" and it reckons it's a 1990 323i..

Maybe, but the toothed wheel on the front of the crank on f/l cars is a 60-2 wheel. I'm not sure about the pickups on the flywhel in pre f/l cars. If they are not 60-2 then the ECU may not be able to figure it out.

If it is 60-2 you may be able to get the damper/toothed wheel/front pulley and crank angle sensor and bracket of a f/l and make it work. I suspect not though.

Maybe, but the toothed wheel on the front of the crank on f/l cars is a 60-2 wheel. I'm not sure about the pickups on the flywhel in pre f/l cars. If they are not 60-2 then the ECU may not be able to figure it out.

If it is 60-2 you may be able to get the damper/toothed wheel/front pulley and crank angle sensor and bracket of a f/l and make it work. I suspect not though.

Hey mate,

Thanks for all your insite man, you have been very helpful. It looks as if i would be digging myself a big hole if i get a facelift gearbox such as that one on trademe. I think i just have to wait it out until a prefacelift comes up for sale. And that's fine with me.

Cheers.

Hey mate,

Thanks for all your insite man, you have been very helpful. It looks as if i would be digging myself a big hole if i get a facelift gearbox such as that one on trademe. I think i just have to wait it out until a prefacelift comes up for sale. And that's fine with me.

Cheers.

I've got a complete kit if you want to put in a 4 cylinder???

What 4cyl?

318i M10 ;D