Sign in to follow this  
charlie01

E36 328i overheating and leaking all coolant??!! help

Hey there,

Just new to Bimmersport. Yesterday i bought a 328i 90,000kms. It drove fine all day, until last night t quickly and suddenly overheated and lost all of its coolant :mellow: . suspected thermostat problem however mechanics have replaced the thermostat and the problem continues....

any suggestions what could be wrong? is this a common fault?

many thanks for your help

Charlie C

Theromstat will not cause it to lose water. Can you see where the water is coming out - to lose a lot of water quickly it should be obvious, and it needs to be up to temperature to circulate around radiator. .

Possible problem is a split radiator side tank

i agree with you my friend, no leaks etc found. bmw have reccomended a new radiator to fix the problem... going to get expensive

i agree with you my friend, no leaks etc found. bmw have reccomended a new radiator to fix the problem... going to get expensive

Not if you go to someone like Ray who can sort you out replacement parts - VERY ECONOMICAL!

I would personally take the car back from where you bought it and get them to fix!!!

Common problem is sidetank hoses popping off.. nothing a bit of vacuum hose and some epoxy can't fix...

Consumer Garuntees Act FTW! depending where you brought it of course.

When i brought mine the airbag sensor under the passengers sent f**ked out and brought up a fault on the dash, cost just under a grand to fix at Jeff Grey Bmw but the car yard i brought it off paid.

mine over heated a few days back, mine was a stuck thermo stat. however.. in my quest for solutions I talked to a friend who used to have over heating problems, he got nearly everything replaced, but it still happend, turned out there was a crack in the head.. and needless to say VERY expensive to fix, id get whoever you bought it off to fix it, if you can that is,

i got it from turners auctions in penrose. i doubt they will be willing to pay a cent.. new radiator and thermostat went in today... the problm is still there.. could it be the waterpump or worst case.. water jacket seal?

i am told the head gasket and ngine have been checked to be in good condition, this is such a confusing situation

i got it from turners auctions in penrose. i doubt they will be willing to pay a cent.. new radiator and thermostat went in today... the problm is still there.. could it be the waterpump or worst case.. water jacket seal?

I was at Turners for yesterday's auction and didn't any 328i's - or even any e36's for sale bar one 318ti.

Strange

Edited by Eddy

there is only a couple of options left.

Water pump,

you have air trapped in the system,the cooling system must be bled of air

not 100 percent sure of m54? engines but the the connection between radiator and coolant resevoir must be clear

you might have a blown headgasket.

correct me if im wrong but turners should still be obligated by the consumers gaurentees act, unless you signed somthing waiving this right, youd be looking at alot of money to fix if its the head gasket, if i was you id look into turners see if the cars are covered by the consumers gaurentees act then fight turners to fix it or refund you the cash

I had this problem with mine on my first long trip back from up North. after 3 hrs my coolant light suddenly came on and I was losing water almost as fast as I could put it in. Turned out that the aircon belt had been rubbing on one of the hoses the whole trip down and had finally wore through.

you must have a dumb ass mechanic that can't seem to trouble shoot the situation.

You should have just replaced the thermostat and the water pump - could have had the platic unit - that usually breaks.

The next is the side tank at the side of the radiator - made of plastic and does crack over time.

got it sorted. was the waterpump, radiator side tank and thermostat. what a mission lol. car runs like new again!!

thanks for all your help :)

got it sorted. was the waterpump, radiator side tank and thermostat. what a mission lol. car runs like new again!!

thanks for all your help :)

luckily the overheating didnt crack/warp the engine useless