Sign in to follow this  
bumpstop325

clicking from rear

I noticed a clicking sound coming from the rear of the car under acceleration. I not too sure where it is coming from. It only happens sometimes under acceleration going forward. light or heavy.

any ideas? im thinking it could be the diff or a rear cv????. the diff has done around 200,000kms of 'tim driving'.

would an oil change help?

not likely - depending on whether its coming from your diff or not the new oil may mask it for a while. I think its most likely coming from the c.v in which case it is best to replace it or repack it with grease if its not damaged. Also check your rear brakes for stones or other interference as I have had a click once before in a car and it turned out to be the brakes.

Clicking increases with car speed or engine speed?

nope only sometimes under accelerating.

Im hoping its a cv. cause i have spare trailing arms.

I have just taken it for a drive. its got my fizzled coz it dosnt happen all the time.

the clicking does increase with speed. it will stop when i stop accelerating.

One click per revolution

Edit: I have just taking it for a drive and it has seemed to have got worse. sound has inceased in volume.

Doing an inspection tomorrow, with the rear on stands. Going to remove the heat shelds to have a look at the donut and hanger bearing.

or wheel bearing????/

Edited by bumpstop325

have just taking it for a drive and it has seemed to have got worse. sound has inceased in volume.

Doing an inspection tomorrow, with the rear on stands. Going to remove the heat shelds to have a look at the donut and hanger bearing.

or wheel bearing????/

After alot of head scratching.

I found out that the driveshaft had a missing counterweight.

It was vibrating everything loose. So now im just waiting for my work to pick it up and send it back to me.

My car sounds so sweet with no exhaust.

Had the same issue withthe racecar, hex bolts had come loose, tightened them up - noise still there and really apparent going around left hand corners - turned out to be the CV it was trashed, car is lowered somewhat and the angle on the half shafts is probably contributory. I would still pull of the CV boot and have a look see, you will see if it is worn.

Jack your car up and put it on stands and take your rear wheels off. Put your car into gear n listen for the noise. Some times when your rear discs ar slightly warped it will grip onto your brake pads and push them up against the caliper cradle. check if you hav brake pad shims on the pads. I had the same prob and shims fixed it

My car sounds so sweet with no exhaust.

amen to that bro

same here

good ol m20b25,

same stuff happend with my drive shaft, it went from a ticking to me almost not being able to change gears with out being hit severly.

turns out 3 of the bolts had flown off from all the rattling

Took my car for another drive last night. the click of death still has not come back.

It was interesting to see the old grease to dip out just by removing the boots.

Just a note for anyone else doing this; you can pull the boots back over themselves so they do not get in the way while putting the grease in.

Remove as much grease as possible before putting new stuff in. If you have company doing this, get the other person to spin the wheels while you incert the grease. Using a grease gun is alot less messier but your finger will do the job aswel.