Sign in to follow this  
TDP

Motronic 1.3. Availability in NZ?

The engine in my e21 is on the verge of death. I've been pondering possible replacements and due to my dislike of the K-jetronic system I'd like to install an M20B25 fitted with Motronic.

Research thus far suggests that Motronic 1.1 has its crank angle sensor mounted on the flywheel which means it will not work with my gearbox without me drilling holes, which I am reluctant to do. Motronic 1.3 on the other hand has its sensor somewhere else (crank pulley?) and bolts straight up to the e21. So 1.3 sounds like the go then.

Or not. I spoke to a wrecker this afternoon who told me that cars fitted with Motronic 1.3 were never imported into NZ and are therefore rarer than rocking-horse sh*t.

Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have any better suggestions. Should I just man up and drill the appropriate holes for 1.1? Should I just fit a Toyota 1J or a Nissan RB? Maybe toss the whole thing in and buy an automatic Corolla?

The engine in my e21 is on the verge of death. I've been pondering possible replacements and due to my dislike of the K-jetronic system I'd like to install an M20B25 fitted with Motronic.

Research thus far suggests that Motronic 1.1 has its crank angle sensor mounted on the flywheel which means it will not work with my gearbox without me drilling holes, which I am reluctant to do. Motronic 1.3 on the other hand has its sensor somewhere else (crank pulley?) and bolts straight up to the e21. So 1.3 sounds like the go then.

Or not. I spoke to a wrecker this afternoon who told me that cars fitted with Motronic 1.3 were never imported into NZ and are therefore rarer than rocking-horse sh*t.

Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have any better suggestions. Should I just man up and drill the appropriate holes for 1.1? Should I just fit a Toyota 1J or a Nissan RB? Maybe toss the whole thing in and buy an automatic Corolla?

Think I am correct in saying that the 2.0/2.5 litre F/L cars (88 on) motronic system is the 1.3 version. That being the case - yes the crank angle sensor is on the front pulley which is the system you require. Just need to get the complete engine wiring loom/ECU as well to marry to your car. Motronic 1.1 I think did have the pick-up in the bell housing as you say.

The earlier system in the pre F/L cars is L jetronic not K. K jet is mechanical injection as was in the Audi Quattro coupe we used to own. L jet is electronic injection only & still with conventional distributor ign set-up

used to own

your wrecker is a cock. unless there is some confusion over 1/1.1 or 1.1/1.3. im confusing myself. regardless, the facelift E30 engine has the sensors you want on the front. might require some funky wiring but its doable. best way to do it is to get a wrecked 325 (probably auto, doesnt matter) and get everything, you will probably need most of the parts cooling system etc

why is it on the verge of death? m20s are usually pretty bomb proof unless its been neglected

1.3 from about 1988 onwards also from e34 525i with m20 engine .

it has sensor on front pully .

The earlier system in the pre F/L cars is L jetronic not K. K jet is mechanical injection as was in the Audi Quattro coupe we used to own. L jet is electronic injection only & still with conventional distributor ign set-up

used to own

You're right, but his car is e21. e21's have the K mechanical injection on the m20.

So yes, going the newer (I can never sort out the version numbers) post '88 motronic motor and ecu, you'll be sorted as regards those sensors.

Edited by bravo

If you get a M20 motor out of the facelift with the front pully on it already, and get the facelift wiring loom and ecu ( 1.3 ) you will be fine. We converted a Motronic 1.0 ( 1986 325i ) to 1.3 and there are a lot of differences, we had to put the pully and sensor on the front ( bolted straight up easy ) but we also had to change a few plugs around ( i.e. the oil level sensor is different ) , rewire a heap of stuff, and on and on, it took ages. And because the car had the fancy sport mode auto in it, at the end of the day, the car was stuck in limp mode because the gearbox ECU wasnt compatible with the newer 1.3 ECU, ( or we were too noob to figure it out. )

If you get a M20 facelift engine, and the ecu and wiring loom out of all the same car, you should be sorted. You may have to break the casing off the ECU plug to get it through the firewall though, we had to do that because the original 1.0 plug is only 2 rows of pins and the 1.3 one is 3 rows of pins, i have no idea about the Jet tronic or whatever its called one though.

Sweet! Thanks folks.

Thats what I wanted to hear, even the bit about difficulties getting the 1.3 wiring through the firewall rings true to what I've been reading about this transplant.

Now I just have to find an engine. I believe the post F/L engines can be identified by the toothed crank pulley?

why is it on the verge of death? m20s are usually pretty bomb proof unless its been neglected

The engine has been a little neglected. It has done over 300,000 kms and I believe that quite a few of those were with young drivers. I'm ashamed to admit that it's never been properly tuned in the year and a half that I've owned it and that during that time it's taken to losing/using a lot of oil. I can see the pall of smoke in my rearview mirror as I pull away.

It'd probably keep chugging away for a while yet but my financial situation has just improved slightly and I'm keen to sort out some of the issues.

Fuel rail is also different between pre face lift and face lift engines. With the pre face lift engine and face lift loom, you have to cut a piece out of the injector harness as the fuel return on the pre face lift is in a diffterent posistion.

Pre face lift has toothed flywheel (one or two teeth acutally). Face lift engine has toothed crank pully on the front (around 60 teeth)

Thats what I wanted to hear, even the bit about difficulties getting the 1.3 wiring through the firewall rings true to what I've been reading about this transplant

Have removed & replaced lots -L jet & Motronic systems - although tight they do remove/refit without disassembly of plug

Thats what I wanted to hear, even the bit about difficulties getting the 1.3 wiring through the firewall rings true to what I've been reading about this transplant

Have removed & replaced lots -L jet & Motronic systems - although tight they do remove/refit without disassembly of plug

There was no way we were going to get the motronic 1.3 plug through marks firewall without destroying the plug or cutting the hole bigger, which originally had motronic 1.0.

You're right, but his car is e21. e21's have the K mechanical injection on the m20.

So yes, going the newer (I can never sort out the version numbers) post '88 motronic motor and ecu, you'll be sorted as regards those sensors.

E21 M20's must surely have come out in two forms then - probably early & late -I have seen them with the Solex 4 barrell carb (OE fit) as my E12 M20 had until I converted it to L- Jet injection.