Sign in to follow this  
charlie01

help wanted mounting a 12" box in E36 Coupe

:) as above i am trying to install a single sub box and have found that it likes to fly around in the boot.

i have heard some people mount these to the bottom of the parcel tray?

i want to mount it as clean as possible.

if anyone has done this it would be great if you had a photo,

many thanks for your input,

Charlie

Big-ass piece of velcro?

lol thats actually not a bad idea,

have you heard of these been bolted in though?

I usually design the box so that it is a snug fit and won't move once installed, but in the case where you already have a box, I've seen a few options. One I liked the most though, was a piece of webbing strap (like on a backpack or school bag), fatstened to the box or car and then a dome button at the other end so it is just a case of press on and its fixed. These domes wear out though, but there are dozens of other options like "stay-puts" used on canvas awnings or clips and buckles. The strap and buckle are black and should blend in and look ok.

You should be able to get way with one or two attached to the sides.

Edited by bravo

Just to stop moving, you could use velcro, or something really grippie against your carpet [assuming your carpet mat doesn't move].

Mine is very snug, so it doesn't move. In a wagon previously, I bolted it to the car [mainly to stop theives].

Or... you could stop driving it like its stolen ;P

Hey Charlie, am assuming you have already got your box, but if you want to make the install clean and retain a decent amount of boot space, you can make a box that's more of a rectangular shape (designed with the ideal volume) so it makes the most of the horizontal space at the inside end of the boot, while still being deep enough for the sub.

If your car hasn't had the ski pass hole punched out, you can do so... the rectangular box can then be attached using nuts and bolts going through the sheet metal behind the seats into the boot area. You'll want to test it out first though if you don't have an armrest for the back seats, to see if enough bass goes through into the cabin.

If you go with this you can also make a false wall so the sub can't be seen.

what i did was this....... went to bunning. bough myself to (L) shaped brackets. reasonably strong. about an inch or so in width. a pack of screws at the longes an inch long. make sure there decent screws. get a drill and a drill peice about 1.5 mm smaller than the screw and bolt it down just on the back of the box just be carefull where you drill. when you take them back out ou cant see the screw holes in the floor and the sub still operates fine and it aint gunna move nowere

Yea i bolted mine in also used an L bracket skrewed it to the Box and latched the other part of it to the back of my boot where the rear of the seat rests i bolted it there so you cant even see the bracket. Only pain here is you have to take the rear seat out to get it out (good though when it comes to security etc)

If your car hasn't had the ski pass hole punched out, you can do so... the rectangular box can then be attached using nuts and bolts going through the sheet metal behind the seats into the boot area. You'll want to test it out first though if you don't have an armrest for the back seats, to see if enough bass goes through into the cabin.

I think he is installing in his E36 coupe.

many thanks for all your help. i mounted it with velcro on th bottom and neatly screwed it into the parcel tray to stop any movement. appreciate the ideas =)