Sign in to follow this  
chris-mazon

Is there any point in doin' a manual conversion??

Yea ok well like i said im new to this whole bmw thing so i am new to bimmersport so i did not expect to be ripped into just for saying a few text words. it would be much easier for someone to just say "hey mate do you think you could just not write in text language" instead of people saying stuff like.... "its even better when you can spell" i just think it didn’t need to be said and it is obvious that that person was just trying to annoy me.

And i am sorry if any people’s feelings have been hurt from this whole thing. And some things got said that didn’t need to be said from both sides of the augment.

Thanks

Chris

Sweet as bud, I see your point.

No hard feelings

If you have basic mechanical skills (can change brake pads, put in lowering springs, change shocks, etc) then you can handle a manual conversion. It is longer, harder, and more potential to stuff up, but it is basically an extension of th skills you learnt doing the above.

I did my first one after knowing how to do an oil change and helping someone else lower a car.

Took me ages, and I made lots of n00b mistakes, but in the end it was all fine, properly done and the car is still going hard 40,000kms and a new owner later.

The trick is to do your research, plan, plan, plan, and ask questions as soon as you hit an obstacle. Someone else will have had the same problem, and will be able to help.

If you ask nicely :)

Good luck.

Edited by bravo

If you have basic mechanical skills (can change brake pads, put in lowering springs, change shocks, etc) then you can handle a manual conversion. It is longer, harder, and more potential to stuff up, but it is basically an extension of th skills you learnt doing the above.

I did my first one after knowing how to do an oil change and helping someone else lower a car.

Took me ages, and I made lots of n00b mistakes, but in the end it was all fine, properly done and the car is still going hard 40,000kms and a new owner later.

The trick is to do your research, plan, plan, plan, and ask questions as soon as you hit an obstacle. Someone else will have had the same problem, and will be able to help.

If you ask nicely :)

Good luck.

Yea thanks mate. i will definitely be doing lots of research and asking plenty of questions before i even consider taking anything apart.

Thanks for the advice.

^^ much better

someone round here is going to put a photo guide up shortly i believe, that would be really helpful

its a pain getting the auto off but not too bad, what car is this on? the e30 6's can be a pain to get the box on.

just make sure you have all the bits before you start, saves time and hassle, there should be some sort of check list around

the wiring is the final part to stop the car thinking the auto has to be in park or neutral to start...i have done it a few times and can never remember what wires!

Quicksilver was putting up that guide, he'll sort ya

^^ much better

someone round here is going to put a photo guide up shortly i believe, that would be really helpful

its a pain getting the auto off but not too bad, what car is this on? the e30 6's can be a pain to get the box on.

just make sure you have all the bits before you start, saves time and hassle, there should be some sort of check list around

the wiring is the final part to stop the car thinking the auto has to be in park or neutral to start...i have done it a few times and can never remember what wires!

Quicksilver was putting up that guide, he'll sort ya

Ok thanks will be good help

Im pretty sorted as far as the wiring goes and even have a photo of the plug where the wiring has been altered to suit the conversion if you need I can step you through that bit of it and any other issues also..

Hey mate, manual conversion is fully worth it, the parts didnt even set me back very much, and if you'd like I can make up a check list with all the parts you need and even right a how to for the whole swap, the reality is its not hard at all, just like Bravo said, basic knowledge is all you need and plan and ask questions.. I sure as hell asked Bravo a sh*t load hahah!! (sorry bravo) but i'd rather ask than f**k it up, i'll be posting up a proper how to on the pedals (cos I would have loved one) with photos and all sometime soon, and i'll write up a swap guide on the whole thing if anyone wants it, I just dont have photos for the swap, just the pedal box.

I'd say go for gold, and its one hell of an improvement thats for sure,

I wrote an article with pictures attached a long time ago from when Tim and me did mine. It has been shifted to somewhere else, I think the actual site now and not the forum, let your fingers do some clicking.

Hey Quiksilver that sounds like a damn good idea. Ill bee keen to have a look when its posted cos Im sick of the slushbox in mine. :D Posts with pics are the best, makes it so much easier to understand some peoples descriptions. Lookin forward to it.

Hey mate, manual conversion is fully worth it, the parts didnt even set me back very much, and if you'd like I can make up a check list with all the parts you need and even right a how to for the whole swap, the reality is its not hard at all, just like Bravo said, basic knowledge is all you need and plan and ask questions.. I sure as hell asked Bravo a sh*t load hahah!! (sorry bravo) but i'd rather ask than f**k it up, i'll be posting up a proper how to on the pedals (cos I would have loved one) with photos and all sometime soon, and i'll write up a swap guide on the whole thing if anyone wants it, I just dont have photos for the swap, just the pedal box.

I'd say go for gold, and its one hell of an improvement thats for sure,

Hows that guide coming on? I am going to be doing the conversion in the new year so can take some photos along the way if that helps.

Edited by ducatiss