Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Sump guard on or off?

Have removed my Sump Guard (std Sth African) while doing some maintenance - its such a heavy thing Im wondering whether I should just leave it off? The car sits on M-Tec Springs. Opinions please?

depends how much you trust our crappy roads, i guess if something happens you'll wish you left it on!! better safe than sorry?

Edited by Chris C

Did mtech cars come out with them factory in nz? no, waste of time and weight imo unless your really low. Is yours an m20 or m40?

Just saw m20, dont worry bout it dude, waste of time

my e30 isnt very low and its always the first thing to hit the ground, so if that wasnt there i'd have cracked my sump a billion times or more by now, mines off at the mo but i'll be sticking it back on, I think its handy, its clunky and heavy though

As Chris said - depends on the roads you travel on.

M20 sumps in E30's are vulnerable as we know - particually in a lowered car, In the cars I have had or dismantled I have sold 2 sumps & seen some with repairs from a previous injury.

Bear in mind that (I think) only the S/A cars came out with them which means the vast majority on the roads here don't have them fitted.

They do weigh a shitload (20 something kgs from memory) so if terrain is not an issue & car is not ultra low then I would be inclined to leave it off. Then again....

off....i have never used one even on v low cars and never cracked a sump..you need to be a bit of a monkey to do so

and on mtech springs, you will be fine

go for it

harden up :P ... get stiffer shocks / springs :)

lol M-tech springs with Bilstein sports seem to work well - I had B+G springs in I think the m-tech springs suit it (and me) better.

off....i have never used one even on v low cars and never cracked a sump..you need to be a bit of a monkey to do so

ooo ooo oooo aaahaaahaaah

Mine is on due to bitter experience.

Then again I live in a rural area - I hit the sump guard on rocks on mates driveways every week. In the city prob wouln'dt need it.

Edited by bravo

Then again I live in a rural area - I hit the sump guard on rocks on mates driveways every week. In the city prob wouln'dt need it.

How low is your car bravo?

Same as Gus's funnily enough. About a 35mm drop. Used to be 50mm drop though which was a problem.

To be honest now I wonder if I wouldn't hit half of the rocks etc I do if the guard wasn't there as it is lower than the sump of course. Not game to try it though.

Yeah its a catch 22 - raise your ground clearance by removing your sump guard!!. What is really needed is for someone to make up a light alloy guard. I have seen one or two on web sites but havent found anyone actually producing and exporting them. Have attached a pic of one.

post-769-1192924646_thumb.jpg

if your up rural roads, e.g. me, i found my self stuck for atleast a week because of cracking my sump, we have a hideous driveway.

and the time it did crack the sump, you have to hit some thing pretty hard too

i think youll be right

Thank for that guys - decision made - back on it goes!! Too many "rural" type debris on the roads down here!!