Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

What bulbs are used behind centre console??

A couple of bulbs have blown behind my centre console thingy (behind heater controls), and I was wondering what type of bulbs are used behind there? I don't really want to pull out half my console only to find I have to order the bulbs. Cheers

Edited by Eddy

I had a small melt down back there so ripped it out and one of the bulbs had melted, I couldnt get it out and couldnt see how to get it out let alone find a new one so cleaned it made the wires all connect up and shoved it all back, now it works just not as bright orange anymore. So I think you should pull the dash out and check whats happened first.

A couple of bulbs have blown behind my centre console thingy (behind heater controls), and I was wondering what type of bulbs are used behind there? I don't really want to pull out half my console only to find I have to order the bulbs. Cheers

dealer will have them

They are a capless bulb "286" from memory. They just pull out of the holder (sometimes with difficulty) Is the meltdown localised to the bulb holder (not wiring behind)? Get bulbs from Repco or similar or an auto sparky

I replaced the control panel bulbs in my E36 with ones from Supercheap Auto.... 2 for 3 bucks IIRC.

that are tiny little bulbs about the size of a tic tac, that just push in, available from anywhere