Sign in to follow this  
c.robertson00

E30 V8

I am thinking about doing an E30 with a v8 and dont know weather to use the 3.0 litre or the 4.0 bmw engine. What sort of prices would i be looking at for either of these engines? Has anyone on here done this sort of thing before? Im not that interested in the lexus v8 option...

Edited by chris00

I am thinking about doing an E30 with a v8 and dont know weather to use the 3.0 litre or the 4.0 bmw engine. What sort of prices would i be looking at for either of these engines? Has anyone on here done this sort of thing before? Im not that interested in the lexus v8 option...

Jump onto www.e30zone.co.uk there are alot of guys on there running bmw v8s, not cheap and not as cheap and affective to tune as the lexus v8 but still A bmw v8 with at least 286hp and alot of tq will be very fun in a e30!

Dont go the 3l route the 4l is the only option.

You can normally pick one up for around 2k+ or more from a stealer.

You will struggle to find a manual gearbox (BIG money and Very rare) Unless you can get a bell housing adaptor for a toyota box machined to suit.

Riley

If your considering a non-BMW swap consider the Nissan VH41DE - A heavily over engineered piece of kit.

^yip, pretty underrated next to the 1uz from what I've heard. Only problem is finding a suitable manual box for them.

As for BMW V8, if your going to the time/cost/trouble of swapping the thing in I don't see why you'd use anything but the 4.0L

Yep the nissan v8 is another good engine,make more power factory than the early lexus v8s (mines a late model one with more power hehe) Also theres always the turbo m20 option? easy to make way more power than one of these v8s for the same kind of $$$

i wicked conversion for an E30 would be a Nissan VQ30DET motor, 206kw at 5psi standard. With a link, t3t4, 350z g/box or rb20/rb25 gearbox with mated bell housing. would be nutty.

1uzfe would be the best v8 motor if your on a budget, very reliable and usable power.

Edited by togate

I always thought a slightly worked m30 with a turbo would be awsome...probably to much trouble tho and not sure about gearbox either.

I always thought a slightly worked m30 with a turbo would be awsome...probably to much trouble tho and not sure about gearbox either.

Can make massive power and be reliable but they weight a tonne even without the turbo setup

I wouldnt in an E30. But in an E34 i reckon it would be cool.

I just want mine finished really. In an E34? I just had an idea.....I know of an e34 with a poked trans

I just want mine finished really. In an E34? I just had an idea.....I know of an e34 with a poked trans

Dooooooooo it. Chev parts are stupidly cheap.

do you have any links at all to parts lists and or bulid threads? i cant find what im looking for. am considering doing this aswell. where are you based?

^yip, pretty underrated next to the 1uz from what I've heard. Only problem is finding a suitable manual box for them.

As for BMW V8, if your going to the time/cost/trouble of swapping the thing in I don't see why you'd use anything but the 4.0L

The Gearbox Issue for the VH41 is not as bad as one might think, People seem to think of a W or R series toyota gearbox as being the only worth while unit with a remove able bell housing that can be adapted to other engines.

Borg Warner T5 Gearbox from a Mustang / Camaro / Holden /Ford

Has the remove able bell-housing and could be adapted to nearly anything with a lot of information available for it.

They are known to take substantial abuse behind v8 engiens they were factory fitted behind, dont be fooled these gearboxs may sound old school but they were put behind many OEM brands and produced right up until the late nineties

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-253278695.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-253265953.htm

there is normally one or two on trade me for a good price the newer versions have a higher torque capacity and are cheaper to upgrade or rebuild.

The Gearbox Issue for the VH41 is not as bad as one might think, People seem to think of a W or R series toyota gearbox as being the only worth while unit with a remove able bell housing that can be adapted to other engines.

Borg Warner T5 Gearbox from a Mustang / Camaro / Holden /Ford

Has the remove able bell-housing and could be adapted to nearly anything with a lot of information available for it.

They are known to take substantial abuse behind v8 engiens they were factory fitted behind, dont be fooled these gearboxs may sound old school but they were put behind many OEM brands and produced right up until the late nineties

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-253278695.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-253265953.htm

there is normally one or two on trade me for a good price the newer versions have a higher torque capacity and are cheaper to upgrade or rebuild.

I think even latter day XR-6 turbos use the T5. Failing that, You can probbaly buy a trans adapter to mate an RB25 or VG30 box behind them (both engines may use the same box?)

do you have any links at all to parts lists and or bulid threads? i cant find what im looking for. am considering doing this aswell. where are you based?

Have a search for 'sammyj' build thread