Sign in to follow this  
stolen

My Dilemma....

Hello All,

Having a small dilemma…am interested to hear what you would do?

Went on a trip on labour weekend and stayed at a friends place. Somehow by accident two 1cm holes were burned in the carpet in the lounge by 2 others. The person who rents the house has informed the landlord of the 2 burn marks and they are getting it appraised tonight. He reckons it may be up to $150 each (4 of us). Because he has informed the landlord, he reckons it has to be fixed according to the landlords requirements.

I provided transport + petrol. It was supposed to be free accommodation, now it doesn’t look like it anymore!

I don’t like feel like giving any money to be honest, since it wasn’t my fault. But then again if it was my fault, I would appreciate it if the others helped out.

Anyone been in the same predicament?

Someone should pay for it - your friend was a good dude by letting you all stay and he shouldn't have to pay for anything. If no-one is man enough to own up and pay the lot then all should chip in to pay.

Unless the damage was solely caused by some delibertly stupid action then share the cost.

I would have to assume that these holes were made by a lazy/careless smoker. If that is the case then you only have to look at the smokers in your group. If no one smoked in your group then your are fully within your right to deny coffing up for the repairs.

Are you sure that the holes were not already there. Can you take your friends word that they happned while you were there. To many questions and variables for my liking.

Either way, someone will have to pay for it. Your friend or your group or an individual will be out of pocket.

$600 to fix 2 holes???? how much carpet are they replacing? I wouldnt pay more than $150 to cover the cost of cutting out the two small squares.

Or is it a million door rental property. Move out until its fixed.

What goes around comes around. Your mate made an offer of free accomodation and the place was damaged (intentially or otherwise).

Man up and cover his expenses (either individually or as a group) or dont expect any friendly offers in the future.

What goes around comes around. Your mate made an offer of free accomodation and the place was damaged (intentially or otherwise).

Man up and cover his expenses (either individually or as a group) or dont expect any friendly offers in the future.

Fully in agreement!!!

Fully in agreement!!!

I think everyone is missing my problem, i dont despute that the damage needs to be repaid, just the fact that who should paid it?

Everyone knows whose fault it was, the person has admitted to it as well. It was an accident and was not intentional.

But since it was a group trip the owner and the person responsible feels it should be split between all of the people that went on the trip.

I mean after giving transport + petrol i dont feel like paying anymore for something i wasn't responsible for... but then again since it was a group trip and if it was my fault, i would still appreciate it if others helped out with the payment.

I still stand by my comment, but its now directed at the person who was responsible for the damage :)

If they refuse to pay up then I doubtt you will be giving any more free rides.

Damn why are people so tight ? Whether it was intentional or not, they damaged the guys place and should pay for it. You need to find some new friends mate !

$600 to fix 2 holes???? how much carpet are they replacing? I wouldnt pay more than $150 to cover the cost of cutting out the two small squares.

Or is it a million door rental property. Move out until its fixed.

^ Exactly.

On our various trips, we have damaged several things. If we were all drunk and any of us could of made the damage, but only one person did, we would all chip in what we could, or what we think we could [sometimes evenly]. (in this case it was us flooding 2 floors because we blocked the sink drainage and the dishwasher was left running all night - sh*t!). Another case we damaged a brandnew queensize bed, inwhich we ALL chipped in simply because we were ALL causing stress on the bed (Don't ask ;P).

In the case of the carpet I would get the smoker to pay, but hey, you're all mates, and if he can't afford it for whatever reason, help each other out. You suppiled the gas + vechile, so your cut should be taken out of that expense. But still, help each other out.

In all the cases, the owner would tell us the HUGE cost, inwhich we would find a FAR cheaper suppliment for the owner, and we ensured all parties were happy at the end of the debarcile. (As no-one wants to be barred from going to the same place again etc).

Moral of the story: Don't smoke (indoors).