Sign in to follow this  
jpp

E34 Information Please

Yeah cool, same exterior. Whats the difference between 535iS & 535iSE ???

Would guess it's in storage at the moment, seems the odo's been rewound a couple of times, can't imagine why, seems an insignificant amount unless someone did some huge miles in there somewhere. Why you'd rewind back behind the last wof I can't magine unless you're a bit thick? :wacko:

Looks repainted as well, so I'd be wary, a lot of indescrepencies? My 2c.

Would guess it's in storage at the moment, seems the odo's been rewound a couple of times, can't imagine why, seems an insignificant amount unless someone did some huge miles in there somewhere. Why you'd rewind back behind the last wof I can't magine unless you're a bit thick? :wacko:

Looks repainted as well, so I'd be wary, a lot of indescrepencies? My 2c.

10-Oct-2007 WOF157,436

5-Dec-2005 WOF154,158

Reading less than previous

20-May-2005 WOF157,636 <---- 10k kms, 2 wofs in 2 months?

29-Mar-2005 WOF148,795 <----

Reading less than previous

30-Sep-2004 WOF150,729

24-Jan-2004 WOF149,854

Edited by JP

535 iS is the "sports "

535 iSE is a higher spec model than the basic models...SE ussually a English car, NZ models are ussually fairly highly specced from the showroom esp the 535,as at the time it was the "flagship" 5 aprt from the M5.ie a NZ new 535i would probably be just as highly specced as a UK 535iSE

535 iS is the "sports "

535 iSE is a higher spec model than the basic models...SE ussually a English car, NZ models are ussually fairly highly specced from the showroom esp the 535,as at the time it was the "flagship" 5 aprt from the M5.ie a NZ new 535i would probably be just as highly specced as a UK 535iSE

Ok, it is a UK import. So you're saying that this will be the equivilant to an NZ new 535i, even though it has a 535iSE tag on it?

It will also have no extra special features on it? Basically, I know it has the kit same as yours, and has leather with the armrests, A/C etc... it has the HD12 in the VIN code. Will it also have a LSD? What about any suspension upgrades?

My brain has been oooooogling my goooooogle screen for iSE (Special Edition???) info regarding this 1988 E34, to NO avail! It's wacked.

Thanks heaps!!!

Edited by JP

no body kit,but looks pretty good spec,leather sports seats(armrests on front seats,thats not common) ,rear headrests,obc,pretty crappy pics tho.English cars can have rust problems most(if not all) NZ e34 wont

Being an English SE, I think meant it got Leather Seats, Air Con and some other trinket stuff, and the NZ Spec cars were better than that. However you would need to have the chassis number checked by BMW or get a copy of the build tag from under the rear seat to work out which options were fitted to the car. Most of the way that the cars were sold in the UK, was that the car was fairly spartan of options and you optioned the cars up. Thats one of the reasons that the English cross the channel to buy their cars in Europe....they are cheaper and fair better specified

I'd want to know why the car was parked up for close on 2 years, either the previous owner didnt bother about Reg and WOF, or its had some mechanical/structural problem that the last owner didntt want to/couldn't afford to fix.

I'd be wanting to know how bad the Head damage was, if the car has been sitting for 2 years with a blown Head Gasket, and the water sitting in the bores, there might be some more trouble just around the corner.

The car might not be a SE, it might be an English M535i, as per its Badging. A car being imported generally can be registered as anything so long as it looks right, hence the M5 being sold in Christchurch a couple of months back that was actually a 525 or 535.

And BTW being English it will have a MPH Speedo not a KMH one, so its mileage is 250K

Edited by rxsumo

Being an English SE, I think meant it got Leather Seats, Air Con and some other trinket stuff, and the NZ Spec cars were better than that. However you would need to have the chassis number checked by BMW or get a copy of the build tag from under the rear seat to work out which options were fitted to the car. Most of the way that the cars were sold in the UK, was that the car was fairly spartan of options and you optioned the cars up. Thats one of the reasons that the English cross the channel to buy their cars in Europe....they are cheaper and fair better specified

I'd want to know why the car was parked up for close on 2 years, either the previous owner didnt bother about Reg and WOF, or its had some mechanical/structural problem that the last owner didntt want to/couldn't afford to fix.

I'd be wanting to know how bad the Head damage was, if the car has been sitting for 2 years with a blown Head Gasket, and the water sitting in the bores, there might be some more trouble just around the corner.

The car might not be a SE, it might be an English M535i, as per its Badging. A car being imported generally can be registered as anything so long as it looks right, hence the M5 being sold in Christchurch a couple of months back that was actually a 525 or 535.

And BTW being English it will have a MPH Speedo not a KMH one, so its mileage is 250K

Good points. I didn't bother bidding on it, even though quite cheap from what you guys have said. THe winner lives not to far from Akld, we'll soon find out if its a lemon ;P

I thought that the car had done low KMs so that it would of been minor head work, obviously not.

I'll just keep watching I guess for black paint, black leather, 3 pedals and 3.5L

Buyer looks like he likes the Trademe game? Be wary, the M535i he's selling only comes back as a straight 535i when you run the vin? <_< Don't know if he realises that, but would guess from his listings that he should? :rolleyes:

You've dealt with him before JP?

Edited by Silver Fox

Buyer looks like he likes the Trademe game? Be wary, the M535i he's selling only comes back as a straight 535i when you run the vin? <_< Don't know if he realises that, but would guess from his listings that he should? :rolleyes:

You've dealt with him before JP?

Heh at that ^^.

I've sold him few sets of BMW badges. The guy is loaded! And does love the TradeMe game.

He's name is Mat, short for some forgien name. Mint house, mint cars. But everything on his listings are rather overpriced, and he won't be bargained down.

Have you checked with insurance on 3.5L? I'm just wondering how well they respond to those numbers...

Edit: ^ Nice stable, for sure.

Edited by Yuen

And that's not counting his 100k+ dodge rams...

Have you checked with insurance on 3.5L? I'm just wondering how well they respond to those numbers...

Edit: ^ Nice stable, for sure.

Tower [who I currenly have 2 cars with] won't insure me [bastards], but they referred me to Insure Direct, who quoted me $57/mnth 3rd [fire + theft etc] or $145/mnth full cover. <- for a 3.5L, 20y.o, garaged and alarmed car with no major personal history.

Be wary, the M535i he's selling only comes back as a straight 535i when you run the vin?

I would suggest that any E34 with the exception of the M5, will always return a VIN of a plain model designation.

The M535i was a "badge engineered" model for the British market, attempting "ride the wave of success" of the E28 M535i.

The iS sold here was only ever a marketing term for the 5 speed manuals, the model never existed.

I would suggest that any E34 with the exception of the M5, will always return a VIN of a plain model designation.

The M535i was a "badge engineered" model for the British market, attempting "ride the wave of success" of the E28 M535i.

The iS sold here was only ever a marketing term for the 5 speed manuals, the model never existed.

E28, not E34, and E28 M535's have the coding on their vins.

Here's one at a reasonable price....yeah right!

Opening bid $5500, no wof, no reg, no key, no bumper

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fugly

Here's one at a reasonable price....yeah right!

Opening bid $5500, no wof, no reg, no key, no bumper

Fugly

He missed a decimal point there. $550.00 more like it.

Tower [who I currenly have 2 cars with] won't insure me [bastards], but they referred me to Insure Direct, who quoted me $57/mnth 3rd [fire + theft etc] or $145/mnth full cover. <- for a 3.5L, 20y.o, garaged and alarmed car with no major personal history.

That's sounds pretty good - as long as the excess is something reasonable around $500 - $750?

That's sounds pretty good - as long as the excess is something reasonable around $500 - $750?

Sounds damn expensive to me.

Im with state, insure my Audi 80 2.8Q for agreed value of $5k, im 22, and it costs me $320 per year with a $750 excess (as under 25) for comprehensive.

I was recently looking at buying an 01 E39 530i, with agreed value of $20k insurance would have cost less than $500 per year.

I do have the full no claims discount and live in Dunedin (less crime than Akl?), but it isn't garaged and no special alarm fitted.

I hate the TradeMe search.

If i type in 535i, it won't show up 535 at all. So I missed that fugly car above. of which I would only buy for $550 anyway :)

insurance I was quoted is abit much compared to what I pay now, but for a much nicer car than what I drive now, the peace of mind is worth it, and I don't have many other costs at this stage.... will still ring around. I think with what mods I would do to it, and where I park frequently, it would be a key car to pinch!

Makes me think of ingenius ways to secure it, **thinks stickdeath**

I hate the TradeMe search.

If i type in 535i, it won't show up 535 at all. So I missed that fugly car above. of which I would only buy for $550 anyway :)

When searching, type 535*. This will bring up 535, 535i, 535is etc etc

Ahhhh..... wicked.