Sign in to follow this  
jpp

E34 Information Please

I'm looking at some 5 series as they are quite cheap and large!

Manual is a must, along with leather and manual as a bonus!

Can some of you who have owned/own please pass some insight for me, a 3-series owner, on some pitfalls, things to look out for, years produced, what years to stick away from, current re-sale value, parts availablility, driving pleasure, any direct costs involved etc etc...

I've got an eye on a 1989 535iS at the moment that's on TradeMe, but I'm in no rush and would like a car that doesn't need much done with a strong engine (this was has done 280kms)

Many thanks,

Jared.

post-1370-1193197294_thumb.jpgpost-1370-1193197312_thumb.jpg :drool:

Ok, after posting, I came across many E34 love sites, so have plenty of car info.

Just after some personal experiences now please, "what years to stick away from, current re-sale value, parts availablility, driving pleasure, any direct costs involved etc etc..."

Edited by JP

Guest 540Si

post-1370-1193197294_thumb.jpgpost-1370-1193197312_thumb.jpg :drool:

Ok, after posting, I came across many E34 love sites, so have plenty of car info.

Just after some personal experiences now please, "what years to stick away from, current re-sale value, parts availablility, driving pleasure, any direct costs involved etc etc..."

G'day

I'm on my second E34 and IMHO they're good cars. I had a 535 and the M30 is a bulletproof motor - mileage shouldn't even be an issue. There are some more qualified opinions on here I'm sure but I believe you can't really go wrong. At least nothing has for me apart from sticky heater valves.

There are some pretty reasonably priced manuals (especially 535iS) on TM and they tart up pretty well too!

Good luck and enjoy

Si

G'day

I'm on my second E34 and IMHO they're good cars. I had a 535 and the M30 is a bulletproof motor - mileage shouldn't even be an issue. There are some more qualified opinions on here I'm sure but I believe you can't really go wrong. At least nothing has for me apart from sticky heater valves.

There are some pretty reasonably priced manuals (especially 535iS) on TM and they tart up pretty well too!

Good luck and enjoy

Si

Gidday,

What sort of mileage do you get per litre? That's my main concern along with insurance, which I can suss out myself. [Dam being a poor student]!

I will be looking at a 535iS this coming weekend, anyone want one of two E36s???

Hey Jared, I have driven an E34 525i, around the 1994 model year. Had quite a lot of pep, better than an E36 320i for sure. No complaints by the owner - standard issues with M50tu engines such as the VANOS 'pebble rattle'. The body is quite solid really, and it's a very nice car and quite good value for money for what they go for nowadays. If compared to the E36 I'd expect more wear on the suspension and tyres due to it being heavier.

Hey Jared, I have driven an E34 525i, around the 1994 model year. Had quite a lot of pep, better than an E36 320i for sure. No complaints by the owner - standard issues with M50tu engines such as the VANOS 'pebble rattle'. The body is quite solid really, and it's a very nice car and quite good value for money for what they go for nowadays. If compared to the E36 I'd expect more wear on the suspension and tyres due to it being heavier.

Com'on, be harder with me! Haha.

There must be a reason other than size as to why the E36ers are selling for more than 5ers!

Looking at an 535iS, and according to the web, it should have LSD and motorsport trim. Of which the car has leather sport seats, but owner reckons no LSD as they didn't come with any (only M535i) -- is he a n00b or am I?

Vin: WBAHD12020BF00711

Edited by JP

Not long ago there were some very nice facelift 94/95 kiwi new 525i's on TradeMe from $4k. I recently had the opportunity to buy a 95 kiwi 540i which was very nice at $7k. There are bargains out there if you spend a bit of time.

However, E39's have dropped lately and look like they will drop even more soon. Thus making E34's even cheaper...

Com'on, be harder with me! Haha.

There must be a reason other than size as to why the E36ers are selling for more than 5ers!

Seriously, the E34 is a great car for the money - especially the M535i (am referring to the looks, never drove an older E34 before). Only problem for the younger guys would be insurance I suppose. They can be modded to look so mean, and stock for stock is tougher looking than the E39.

Not long ago there were some very nice facelift 94/95 kiwi new 525i's on TradeMe from $4k. I recently had the opportunity to buy a 95 kiwi 540i which was very nice at $7k. There are bargains out there if you spend a bit of time.

However, E39's have dropped lately and look like they will drop even more soon. Thus making E34's even cheaper...

Another point, when did the facelifts come into it, and what differences? I can only spot the grill?

if it is an NZ new 535is it should have lsd.And if it has the sports seats and Mtech body kit it will most certainly a 535is.The vin is very similar to mine,and in fact the key numbers are HD12....That vin number is from the same batch as mine(and i have lsd),and a/c and electric sun roof,electric seats,full obc,quite high spec.

They were hardly ever badged as 535is most likely just //M badges

The E34 did not have a M535is,which had engine mods in E28 Guise.

The E36s outsell the E34 cause they are newer and I think a lot of people think that 5 series are more expensive than they actually are.A nice e34 will be a nicer ride than a E36.Fuel consumption is the worst feature of the 535.Its very hard to get below 10 l 100 k.And if you use it in stop start traffic you will prolly be in the 16 L 100 ks.Awesome open road car though,and if you need a bigger car its a lot of car for the money.Look up E34 .net,and a site called bimmer.info,there is an E 34 dedicated site

Have you got a link to the car you are looking at.Most will have new wheels as the original wheels were the metric basketweave ones.

Facelift very similar cars.Wide grill is the key.535is was superseded by 540is with a six speed,but equipement and specs very similar.I think the lsd and traction control are not compatable,hence Cains note about the 540 not having lsd

sorry for long post

Edited by kiwi535

Another point, when did the facelifts come into it, and what differences? I can only spot the grill?

As far as I know, it will be general costmestic updates, i.e grill, alloys, steering wheel etc. I'm pretty sure the smaller engined autos were upgraded to a 5 speed and an updated vanos was added.

As with any car, im in big favour of buying facelifts. After 5 years or so of the cars being on the market, the manufacturer will know the weak points and iron out any creases in the model.

Guest 540Si

I may be wrong but the grill changed about '93 onwards from what I can tell. I know what you mean about the looks too - still prefer that older grill myself. And the E34's look better than a stock standard E39 too if you ask me.

535iS doesn't necessarily have LSD like the M-Sport version.

I always got really good mileage (for the size) out of my 535.

Are we helping at all or are you getting too many opinions? :)

My new baby's an 85 M535i, I took it to Auckland today, mix of town and open road driving, did around 120 k's, and ended with 9.4 l/100k. Can't complain about that I guess?

Very nice to drive :wub:

post-1118-1193212569_thumb.jpg

Guest 540Si

My new baby's an 85 M535i, I took it to Auckland today, mix of town and open road driving, did around 120 k's, and ended with 9.4 l/100k. Can't complain about that I guess?

A very nice one too :rolleyes:

Does that put 3 E28's in your stable now Foxy??

post-1118-1193212569_thumb.jpg

thats good....e 28 is a lighter car and prolly higher gearing

These will set it off nicely

lovely jubbly

I thought the real Alpina wheels has the air filler neck within the wheel nuts cover?

Like the Alpina's, but almost as much as I paid for the car :wacko:

Yeah, 3 E28's now, 2 of them are M535's, all M30's, one will end up as a race car soon :rolleyes: maybe something like this?

post-1118-1193213247_thumb.jpg

These will set it off nicely

lovely jubbly

Oh my. them are tight!

*searches pockets*

Edited by tire

Guest 540Si

Hmmmmm always wanted a set of Alpinas like that

Have you seen the E28 M535 racer on TM? White one from memory - unfinished but running

Helps heaps ya'll!

I hate making uninformed decisions, so the more the better~!

Kiwi: Sound like similar cars! Yours a manual? If you were start stopping for 100kms, how much gas in dollars would you spend? Any idea of what price yours would sell for now and say roughly in 6 months?

Foxy: How do you find the M30s? Easy to work on, and rather strong? Anything likely to go wrong with them that should be done?

Penry: Alpina's are hot! May get a set later on, but probably hit some 18's on them along with suspension if I go ahead with it.

What improvements can be done relatitive to cost? Pod filter vs. panel filter. Exhausts etc...

Thanks to all others, very appreciated!!! You all seem to stick by the 5ers, maybe I'll go to the dark side and not return :ninja: