Sign in to follow this  
liam02

How Many Km's is too many

I am looking at an e36 328 with 150km its an auto. It is a New Zealand new car and the auto has had a service in January, however I can't get my head around 150kms, I have bought alot of BMW's but not with that many k's( bar one ).

Am I heading for disaster as I can't be bothered going from Wellington to AKL to view it.

Guest 540Si

That's not even 100,000 miles mate! Don't be afraid!! :D

Get someone to check it out for you

Calling Welly? Volunteers?

Cars run into strife if they haven't been maintained. I don't understand why so many people won't go over 100,000kms?! I don't care though, and won't tell them how I have had NO issues [8 cars now over 150kms] as it means I get to buy them for cheaper.

My parents are prime candidates that won't buy over 70kms, and must have all these warranties. Pussies.

High kms is fine - as long as the car has been well looked after and is priced well. What is the condition of this 328 and how much are they asking?

But remember, high kms (i.e over 150 in most cases) won't allow you to get mechanical breakdown insurance. Also, resale on high km cars is much lower and it could take longer to find a buyer because of the market perceptions about kms out there.

Cars run into strife if they haven't been maintained. I don't understand why so many people won't go over 100,000kms?! I don't care though, and won't tell them how I have had NO issues [8 cars now over 150kms] as it means I get to buy them for cheaper.

EXACTLY!

My 85 E30 is slowly reaching the 300's, but the engine is mint, thats cos she'e been takin care of & with genuine BMW parts. Yes, I've spent alot of coin & the body is not 100% but the km's never worry me! When she hits 300, i'll take a post up a pic, damn I'm so proud of her.

Edited by Kpax

Come on boys, read the thread, its in Auckland as i read it, so there are lots of members that would go give it the once over. ;)

286,000 miles, that's around 450,000 k's on mine, E28, M535, depends on how they've been treated.

I've had one 318 with 150k, cam totally worn, and another with 280k in good order. Service, service and service.

94000 on the 330 (bought it at 40) and is more than fine.

Its all to do with weather its been properly serviced.

the e30 has 360,000 on the original engine, been serviced and had only two head gaskets done as major work. Still on original rings,pistons and bearings. no blue smoke etc etc .. The only thing that does need doing is the valves .. and thats not exactly a hard thing to get done.

With factory service intervals kept and a BMW "Pre-Purchase Inspection" performed for $138 at any local bmw dealer, youll have piece of mind.

I agree with the other members - 150k is nothing on these engines which properly maintained will do well over 300k. Short trips will kill engines when the oil never really gets up to temp as well, as well as not letting the engine warm up before giving it a boot full of revs - now that's really bad. The other thing in your favour is that its NZ new and while that doesn't guarantee you a trouble free life, you will be able to look back through the ownership (and service) history to make an educated guess as to whether the millage is genuine.

The other thing in your favour is that your car being NZ new shouldnt have the the Jatco transmission that causes so many problems.

Edited by ducatiss

jeese, don't you drive the e30 Josh?

The engine isn't your worry with high Km BMWs, (its everything else?)

yeah ks mean nothing, if the engines been looked after you have nothing to worry bout, mines done 230k going better now then when i bought it....