Sign in to follow this  
Gus

2.8 Build and MAF conversion

since i dont have my e30 bible handy hopefully someone can help me.

with the m52 2.8 crank, you dont need to machine much apart from a sleeve onto the nose of the crank? the 325i rods/piston combo sits at the correct height? might be a much better than 2.7 build if i get the crank

also, does anyone know where in NZ you can get an MAF replacement kit that sends afm signals to the ecu? i know gavin bellars could remap the chip now, but would be nice to get improved throttle response too

thanks guys

I would of thought the pistons would come out the top of the block - they do by quite a lot with the 3.2 crank.

My understanding is that with a 2.8 you dont need any machining, but like you I dont have my e30 bible with me !

Apart from the sleeve that you mentioned.

a company called Miller do a maf, it aint cheap though.not too bad i suppose

found out some more

need: m52 crank + sleeve

325i pistons machined

320 130mm rods

this leaves the pistons half a mm or so down in the block, although some think its flush. either way its minor machining and wont need an adjustable cam pulley like the 2.7 cranks 2mm

3.2 crank is a longer throw again, 400cc difference so pretty huge..and thats using the 135mm rods? 2.7/8 cranks stick out top with those rods too

since i dont have my e30 bible handy hopefully someone can help me.

with the m52 2.8 crank, you dont need to machine much apart from a sleeve onto the nose of the crank? the 325i rods/piston combo sits at the correct height? might be a much better than 2.7 build if i get the crank

also, does anyone know where in NZ you can get an MAF replacement kit that sends afm signals to the ecu? i know gavin bellars could remap the chip now, but would be nice to get improved throttle response too

thanks guys

Hi Gus, with rgds to MAF replacement you could use Map-Ecu 1 or 2.(replace airflow & can adjust timing on Map2 + can do alot of other stuff)

Check out their website, N.Z. designed etc so back up here.

I finally got the Alpinas on the E34, remember you asked around if the 10" rears would fit.(a while ago)

Anyway thanks for your time back then.

Mr E34.

I finally got the Alpinas on the E34, remember you asked around if the 10" rears would fit.(a while ago)

Anyway thanks for your time back then.

Mr E34.

Dont mean to hijack here, but yes the e32 and e34 were meant to have 10' Alpinas on the rear :)

Got any pictures ?

Dont mean to hijack here, but yes the e32 and e34 were meant to have 10' Alpinas on the rear :)

Got any pictures ?

Hi, check out showroom. All Alpina E34's were fitted with 17x9.5" rears, E32 can take 10".

Mr E34.

Don't bother with MAP ecu gus.

Plenty of LEM V5s Links running around and we have a good setup for those.

Yeah I'm using stock conrods for 325. My pistons are a huge amount smaller than stock. Machine pistons down doesn't sound fun?

i haven't had to make any modifications to the block to run a 3.2 crank (unless all the bits are already on the crank and I never noticed?) It just bolted up (and had different bottom end bearings)

0.5 mm is a huge amount to leave at the top isn't it?

We machined mine down and left 3 thou of an inch (in case the block needed to be skimmed again)

good to see you mr e34 sounds good

i dont think its .5mm....in any case its really not that much..i imagine a block skim would see it flushish. would end up just giving it a go anyway! with pre FL pistons apparently its 10.8 compression. tough.

just hoping i can get one.

just going standalone is more of a pain and $$ than just sticking a maf on there and getting the chip re done. they may end up being similar, who knows

plus its only an m20!

i thought you had to machine the block in places?

have to machine pistons as the lower skirts interfere with the crank webs....would be pro work not me and a hacksaw!