Sign in to follow this  
Gus

E36 M3 Importation

e36 m3s are pretty cheap over here....how hard would it be to import one?

i take it would have to be 96+ and i would pay GST...anything else to watch out for?

i could get a decent one for around £4k + shipping of around £1k (maybe more, who knows) and it works out pretty good to get it back

thoughts?

this is mainly so i can steal bits off it for an e30!

Remember the new emmisions law is coming in so be quick!

wouldn't jump to conclusions quite so quick re emissions rules, parliament breaks up in 2.5 weeks for the year, and nothing has even remotely tried to be passed into law.

Guest 540Si

wouldn't jump to conclusions quite so quick re emissions rules, parliament breaks up in 2.5 weeks for the year, and nothing has even remotely tried to be passed into law.

Everything I heard has pointed to this new law being forced through to come into effect in January - but I agree it's not set in stone. Another case of the pink govt shoving unpopular legislation down our throat before they lose the election!

I still can't believe they're getting away with this stuff! Majority in the house does not equal the support of most NZers.

But back to the topic - do it Gus! And how much do good E34 M5's go for over there? Can't be all that much I spose.

Has to be dual airbag gus - check the LTSA website

Exactly..same as raising the age of driving and raising the age you can by booze at.

Wouldn't worry about it till it happns TBH

cheers guys...just curious. still have no idea what im going to do with my car, if i am keeping it a full e36 m3 would be a nice donor car, at least i can see if everything works. all the parts adds up to the purchase price quite well, they are good value here

an e34 m5....quick ebay reveals prices from about 2-3k to £7k....a big range but i imagine around the same as the e36

its just e30 m3s are my dream car, however so damn expensive for what they are (£7-9k for anything decent) because of collectability. although if i got one here i could keep it LHD which is nice. and they are hard to get anything in NZ thats not jap.

tough choices

andy would it HAVE To be dual airbag, even being a personal car? im sure some of the evo models are dual airbag anyway, its just that price goes up a bit

[quote name='The Gus' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:02 AM' post='145613'

andy would it HAVE To be dual airbag, even being a personal car? im sure some of the evo models are dual airbag anyway, its just that price goes up a bit

Fairly sure import laws demand dual airbag

[quote name='The Gus' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:02 AM' post='145613'

Fairly sure import laws demand dual airbag

From '94 onwards the e36's were dual airbags.

As long as it meets the frontal impact standards. It doesn't matter whether it's left or right hand drive. As long as you have 'owned and operated' it for 90 days overseas.

You could bring a Z9 home, if you liked.

If you're only poaching parts, can you still import a car into NZ that doesn't meet regulations (ie: importing a damaged car)? Should then be able to sell parts off it to make but some monies, rest parts you can use in the e-dirty, then sell the shell to someone.

Hrm.

When I brought my 97 M3 one of the points put forward by the Jerry Clayton salesperson was that I wouldnt have to worry about emmisions laws as the car would be compliant.

I have imported 2 x BMWs ex UK, last one was 3 years ago but sent it thru a Dutch company who are very good. Cost then was 3000 Euros for a 20fter but was also allowed to put personal effects in with the container.

If the car is going to be split up here, then costs aren't high. If you want to put on NZ road, then pm me and I can send you a simple .xls spreadsheet I use with costs to get it on road in NZ.

I would strongly suggest that Jap imports are the way to go if after parts. I have seen a few damaged M3s with rear damage but motors untouched going very cheap. Freight from Jap to NZ is $NZ 1500 if it can be driven on or $2k if needed to be containerised.

Also you will need extra BMW NZ certificate to prove origin if you want to put on road here. Ex Jap is easy but ex UK will cost $700 just for a letter ex BMW NZ !!! If you export ex UK, you can get a certificate ex the DVLA called Certificate of Pernament Export V561. Simple to get but needed I was told when I exported mine.

Any more info, pm me. Happy to advise :)

Ron

you can bring in just about any thing if its over 20 years old cant you?...e 34 M5 will qualify for that soon