Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

Manuel conversion e30 325

Hi

well im about to do a manuel conversion to my e30 325, is ther any special tools i need? Or tricks to making things easier? one theng is how do you get the torque converter off, do you need to trun the motor over and undo them through the front of the flex plate? I have bought a compleate conversion kit so hopefull will fit all good. Do 325's have a special flywheel?

any help is much much appreciated.

Cheers!

and anybody wanting a m-spec auto box good cond. 180,000k with the sport econimy and stop go traffic option all offers thought about :D

Hi

well im about to do a manuel conversion to my e30 325, is ther any special tools i need? Or tricks to making things easier? one theng is how do you get the torque converter off, do you need to trun the motor over and undo them through the front of the flex plate? I have bought a compleate conversion kit so hopefull will fit all good. Do 325's have a special flywheel?

any help is much much appreciated.

Cheers!

and anybody wanting a m-spec auto box good cond. 180,000k with the sport econimy and stop go traffic option all offers thought about :D

Tools required: Torx sockets for bell housing bolts. apart from that just usual tools

Nothing untoward if you have mechanical skills, remove bottom cover bolted to bell housing to expose torque converter bolts, rotate engine to expose each (3) & undo from flex plate. Remove exhaust front section

Drop trans mount, lift front of engine until rear is against bulkhead to access top bell housing bolts from behind.

Worst part is removing trans.

Remove oil cooler lines.

Pedal box: Easier to remove bolt & original brake pedal & fit replacements (rather than changing the whole assy)

Mount the M/Cyl to box, punch out perferated hole in bulkhead, run clutch lines, mount reservior, FIT SPIGOT BEARING to crank, clutch assy, fit gearbox, drivehaft etc (recommend new clutch if the one you have is not near new), also recommend replacing extention housing bushes if they are at all worn (very common) before fitting box.

With everything on hand -about a days work to complete conversion

Flywheels are the same -320 -325

I would also recommend getting some torx sockets, although the normal sockets to fit, if they are really tight, you will end up rounding the bolt off. This happened to one of the bolts on mine when i did the conversion, and we had to drop the whole subframe to be able to get a grinder in to take the head off the bolt. It really isnt worth the trouble. Just get some torx sockets!

its cheapest to go to a tool shop for the torx sockets. A few dollars each. youl need E10 and E14 if i remember correctly and perhaps an E12

pretty sure its no e10, just e12 and e14

Cheers all you guys for your help! i will try post some pics of when its finished. cheers

i needed 3 sockets but then I think the smaller ones I had were on the inspection cover maybe I just had funny bolts tho, dont forget to short out the inhibitor otherwise u wont be goin anywhere,

oh yea have a few spare fuses ( i think 7.5amp ) for when you try to sort out tricking it to thinking its in part so you can start it, we blew a few haha.

I just took the clutch apart and the for sets of two springs are very lose so im going to get the clutch fixed and the flywheel machined, but one of the springs only has one spring in it. is that normal? cheers

Buy a new clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing or you'll have to pull it all apart again in a few months when it shits itself.

From $250 for the whole kit. Ring Gavin at Euro Italian Car Parts (forum sponsor), say your on bimmersport and you'll get 15% off.

Also don't forget to buy and install a spigot bearing. (about $20 also from Euro Italian).

Edited by bravo

hay man good luck with the conversion! i just got 1 done last week. loving the manual. u will love it to. just 1 thing if any1 could help me. my throttle response isnt the greatest anymore. im wondering if theres a way to change this? probly easy but i just duno. thanks. also my shifter is a bit loose. is there a reason for this? maybe a bearing? if any1 could help thatl be great!

shifter is loose because its an e30, and their sloppy, to fix this you would need to do the highly recommended short shift conversion using the z3 lever and swapping them as they fit,

shifter is loose because its an e30, and their sloppy, to fix this you would need to do the highly recommended short shift conversion using the z3 lever and swapping them as they fit,

nope, you dont

there are a variety of bushes that need to be changed to get a decent shift...factory ones arent really that great.

nope, you dont

there are a variety of bushes that need to be changed to get a decent shift...factory ones arent really that great.

yes i agree .

i replaced all the rods and bushes on mine and still have side ways slope , found the little ball on output shaft from the gearbox has a hole in the side of it and is worn oval . so i would need to pull the back of the gearbox off to replace or weld some metal in and redrill or redrill bigger and use a bigger pin.