Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Poverty Turbo Conversion... Best Engine?

So,

Lets get the easiest answer to this out of the way: If you dont have lots of $$ dont waste your time.

Now then, lets move on ;)

Could someone please refer me to a thread, or advise on, information as to the best engine for punishment, and the likley car's it would be found in.

Im not looking at doing anything too silly. But am looking at a total spend in the 5k - 8k range.

The first car that came to my mind was an M325, or M535, but maybe there is a sneakrative diamond in the rough?

i wont go into the 5's, although the m30 is good for boost

a facelift 325 (M325 is ideal but will eat up most of your budget) is best, as long as it is not NZ new. it needs to have the 8.8:1 pistons and you can run a decent amount of boost.

stand alone management is a must, a simple log manifold and correctly sized turbo will do the trick

5-8k is pretty slim, but i am sure you could make something to have fun in

or go for a M10 Pre FL 318....they go really well turbo (well they can do, an example, in the states a guy with a 2L from 2002 built m10 and forged pistons ran a 13.6. plus are super cheap to come by (engines are v v cheap for when they go bang)

i wont go into the 5's, although the m30 is good for boost

a facelift 325 (M325 is ideal but will eat up most of your budget) is best, as long as it is not NZ new. it needs to have the 8.8:1 pistons and you can run a decent amount of boost.

stand alone management is a must, a simple log manifold and correctly sized turbo will do the trick

5-8k is pretty slim, but i am sure you could make something to have fun in

or go for a M10 Pre FL 318....they go really well turbo (well they can do, an example, in the states a guy with a 2L from 2002 built m10 and forged pistons ran a 13.6. plus are super cheap to come by (engines are v v cheap for when they go bang)

Sold 2x working M10s for $300 for example last weekend :)

I'm personally looking into a turbo project keeping it BMW powered too... M30 is what I'm thinking...

that would be a 12.6 gus.

depends what you want out of it. M10 is sweet for a toy/project but with that budget I think you might just get away with M50 turbo, more potential than M20. a few guys in the states who have had M10 or M20 turbos end up going M50/M52

i have just the car for such a project .

a E34 94 530i leather etc still reged etc . no engine or box .

a 3.5l and 5spd kit from a e34 88 535i .

add boost and way you go .

just ask marty

Can you fabricate (in particular weld)? Its crucial for your budget.

The parts aren't too expensive if you can make your own manifold and dump pipe etc - your biggest issue is fueling and ignition control (you really need aftermarket computer for any meaningful boost). Have a look over at www.e30tech.com forums if you haven't already. Heaps of info there on turboing (in particular M20).

You can also save money if you keep a low boost target and pick an engine with lower compression ratio to start with. Ultimately medium and higher levels of boost aren't really possible on standard pistons, which really screws the budget...

M10 turbo. Stick with the factory one.

It can be made to deliver more power than you can handle.

M10 turbo. Stick with the factory one.

It can be made to deliver more power than you can handle.

Yeah, but maybe not on his budget :( Decent power levels need forged pistons etc. Parts ill goes way up.