Sign in to follow this  
charles28

BMW E36 320i - Faulty trans?

Tonight I was driving home from Rolleston to CHCH, all was well, until a warning light on the dash came on, i noticed the car was revving higher than normal (was on the open road), eventually when i stopped at traffic lights, i found that the car seemed to be starting off in 3rd or 4th and didn't seem to change gear at all.. could also hear a whirring/wine constantly at 50km per hour..

I guess the trans is stuffed?

Tonight I was driving home from Rolleston to CHCH, all was well, until a warning light on the dash came on, i noticed the car was revving higher than normal (was on the open road), eventually when i stopped at traffic lights, i found that the car seemed to be starting off in 3rd or 4th and didn't seem to change gear at all.. could also hear a whirring/wine constantly at 50km per hour..

I guess the trans is stuffed?

gone into limp mode .

stuck in 1:1 gear .

could be stuffed , check fuild colour and level etc ,( smell it ,taste etc ).

also if sport/ecno switch is faulty can go into 1:1 mode

gone into limp mode .

stuck in 1:1 gear .

could be stuffed , check fuild colour and level etc ,( smell it ,taste etc ).

also if sport/ecno switch is faulty can go into 1:1 mode

Mmmm I went back out and started the car, the warning light is still on, the Sport/Economy switch appears to be working though.. as far as it lights up on sports mode when selected.. etc..

Being stuck in 1:1 seems to be the issue, but I guess Limp mode could be caused because of another type of fault.

Being a Jap Import it has the JATCO transmission, 2 weeks ago i got the Transmission fluid changed.. so i'm a bit worried that its something to do with that.. I got it done at oil changers, but they do some kinda reverse flush method of changing the trans fluid..maybe thats stuffed it. doh

Sounds like the story we have been hearing alot of lately. Incorrect trans oil changes by so called `experts`

Before jumping to conclusions scan the trans for fault codes, make sure your battery is healthy although the coincedence with the fluid change is the most likely culprit. They either overful or underful these trans`s which kills them.

They MUST be refilled with someone shifting thru all the gears so the correct amount is accepted.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

Sounds like the story we have been hearing alot of lately. Incorrect trans oil changes by so called `experts`

Before jumping to conclusions scan the trans for fault codes, make sure your battery is healthy although the coincedence with the fluid change is the most likely culprit. They either overful or underful these trans`s which kills them.

They MUST be refilled with someone shifting thru all the gears so the correct amount is accepted.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

I just went out and tried to get the error codes, couldn't do it(don't know what i'm doing), (warning light was still on of course) moved car through all gears, didn't matter what was selected, still started in high gear.. switched car to power/econ/snow modes, all lit up as usual.. so switched car off. went back inside.

20mins later I went to take a pic of the error light on the dash, but it didn't come back on? then I tested the gearbox, car was now starting in 1st gear as normal. took car for a 30min drive, didn't miss a beat.

So my question is.. what should I do now? ok, so its working at the moment.. but will this happen again? or maybe its a glitch that won't .. who knows.. am doing a big road trip in 2 weeks, so don't want the elervated risk of breakdown.

Edited by Charles28

I just went out and tried to get the error codes, couldn't do it(don't know what i'm doing), (warning light was still on of course) moved car through all gears, didn't matter what was selected, still started in high gear.. switched car to power/econ/snow modes, all lit up as usual.. so switched car off. went back inside.

20mins later I went to take a pic of the error light on the dash, but it didn't come back on? then I tested the gearbox, car was now starting in 1st gear as normal. took car for a 30min drive, didn't miss a beat.

So my question is.. what should I do now? ok, so its working at the moment.. but will this happen again? or maybe its a glitch that won't .. who knows.. am doing a big road trip in 2 weeks, so don't want the elervated risk of breakdown.

I had the same fault caused by "so called experts". The problem is low fluid, I had my E36 service by a transmission expert, flushed etc..but the Jatco needs special filling ie: when going thru the gears whilst on a hoist. The day I picked up my e36 to travel from AK to Paeroa, the trans did the same as your one did. It went into limp mode and caused grief. On the way back I stopped in at SD European, they were just finishing work, so a quick trip to the bottle store for 2 doz got them motivated to fill my Auto to the correct level. They found it was less than 50% fill!!!

Be aware the trans only lasted for another 6 months before it finally crapped out.

SM.

I had the same fault caused by "so called experts". The problem is low fluid, I had my E36 service by a transmission expert, flushed etc..but the Jatco needs special filling ie: when going thru the gears whilst on a hoist. The day I picked up my e36 to travel from AK to Paeroa, the trans did the same as your one did. It went into limp mode and caused grief. On the way back I stopped in at SD European, they were just finishing work, so a quick trip to the bottle store for 2 doz got them motivated to fill my Auto to the correct level. They found it was less than 50% fill!!!

Be aware the trans only lasted for another 6 months before it finally crapped out.

SM.

They put 8 litres of fluid into it, any ideas what the actual capacity is? (seems to be a hard thing to find on the net).

They put 8 litres of fluid into it, any ideas what the actual capacity is? (seems to be a hard thing to find on the net).

Got mine done 2months ago and it's been sweet.

It said on my invoice how much they put in.I'll check for you when I get home.

Got mine done 2months ago and it's been sweet.

It said on my invoice how much they put in.I'll check for you when I get home.

Thanks for that, that would be appreciated :)

I took the car in to get diagnosed, the error code related to "SPEED SENSOR" or something.. they reset the trans computer and said to see how it goes and that the error may never come back, but that if it did, that i may need the trans replaced.