Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Super DIY weekend

There were a few things on my 325i that were really bugging me, so this weekend I went into completely focussed DIY mode. No one could stop me, not even my girlfriend pleading with me to "please take a shower, you stink". :)

The main thing that was hacking me off was that my rear door panels had pulled away at the window sill. This is what they looked like before (this isn't a pic of my door, but that's what they looked like):

post-2031-1195959286_thumb.jpg

And after spending 18 dollars (!!!!) on new clips from Chch BMW and using - believe it or not - popsicle sticks and epoxy to reinforce the part of the panel they clip into I got them to look like this:

post-2031-1195959299_thumb.jpg

Brilliant! Tight as a nun's nether regions!

I also fixed my sagging glovebox and broken passenger airvents by replacing the whole vent/latch assembly with one from Eurorec on Blenheim Road:

post-2031-1195959312_thumb.jpg

And I also tidied up my ipod installation. 50 cents for a grommet at Para Rubber and it almost looks factory:

post-2031-1195959321_thumb.jpg

Then on went the mtech mouldings that I'd picked up on a whim while at Eurorec:

post-2031-1195959337_thumb.jpg

And after a wash and some fiddling round with Photoshop, here's the newly revived green beast:

post-2031-1195959402_thumb.jpg post-2031-1195959452_thumb.jpg

So that's my DIY weekend. Clear lights are next on the menu, followed by a Rieger front lip and perhaps some H&R sport springs to bring it down to earth a little more. But in the meantime, it's time for a beer!

- Mark.

Nice, doesn't it feel good to sit back and admire your hard work.

Previous owner of my E36 coupe used zip ties to hold the door card back just like your situation. So now I have holes in my card :\

Tidy work though!

Previous owner of my E36 coupe used zip ties to hold the door card back just like your situation. So now I have holes in my card :\

Tidy work though!

Oh no... so you've still got holes in the panels??? I can't believe people neglect their cars like that!

what did it set you back for the door mouldings

Mouldings cost $200. Thankfully they came with most of the clips intact because when I went to replace the 7 broken ones at BMW, I got stung 4 bucks PER CLIP!!!!

For that money I expected them to be handmade in front of me by the CEO of BMW Germany!!! <_<

so they were second hand? cheers for that i want to get some soon for my coupe , small things make big diffrences

so they were second hand? cheers for that i want to get some soon for my coupe , small things make big diffrences

Yup.... much more expensive than that new. I'm sure you wouldn't have much trying to find a 2nd hand set for a coupe, I was pretty lucky to find a set for a sedan straight off... they were the last set they had. And I agree on the looks thing.... they look so much cleaner than the stock ones!

Cheers for the inspiration man. I have the same issue with my vents / glovebox plus a few bits a bobs I really should get my ass into gear and fix.

Where abouts in chch is Eurorec? Might have to pay them a visit.

Cheers for the inspiration man. I have the same issue with my vents / glovebox plus a few bits a bobs I really should get my ass into gear and fix.

Where abouts in chch is Eurorec? Might have to pay them a visit.

Glad I could be of service with regards to getting your arse into gear! :D

Eurorec is on Blenheim Road, on the left hand side as you're heading towards Sockburn. It's off the street a bit so you need to look for a sign that says "DRIVELINE IMPORTS LTD". If you get to Supercheap Auto you've gone too far.

Edited by gannetboy

Must be a common problem, my 36 needs both of them fixing..plus last night all the lights on my OBC faded out..was just the clock.

Not having the best run out of this car!

Must be a common problem, my 36 needs both of them fixing..plus last night all the lights on my OBC faded out..was just the clock.

Not having the best run out of this car!

Haha... the funny thing is, my glovebox and vents were fine until the guys who installed my stereo took it out to install the ipod connection. They broke the vents, lost screws and buggered the latch. Won't be going back there again.

OBC you say? Thanks for reminding me... that's this week's project!

Haha... the funny thing is, my glovebox and vents were fine until the guys who installed my stereo took it out to install the ipod connection. They broke the vents, lost screws and buggered the latch. Won't be going back there again.

OBC you say? Thanks for reminding me... that's this week's project!

Are you going to use the tutorial in here?? Ive been searching to try and find it but no luck as yet,

I was going to give it a go when it was just my clock broken but didnt want to wreck the restf the pixals

Now its all fcuked i have nothing to lose :D

Are you going to use the tutorial in here?? Ive been searching to try and find it but no luck as yet,

I was going to give it a go when it was just my clock broken but didnt want to wreck the restf the pixals

Now its all fcuked i have nothing to lose :D

IIRC, it was me who posted the link to the tutorial in your original thread about your OBC's clock crapping out! Haha!

I might have a go this weekend at just replacing the bulbs and see if that fixes anything.... if not, I'll take it to an electronics repair shop and get them to do it. I don't want to break it and pay $200+ for a replacement!

Great thread. I must get A into G and repair our glovebox *stupid E36 glovebox*

Our OBC is still working but no longer responds to pressing the indicator stalk :(

Nice job mate. The front lip sounds interesting.

This is what the lip will look like - but without the black splitter. It's either that or buying an m3 front bumper and painting it. Would really like a Hartge or ACS one, but they are so hard to find and damn expensive too!

post-2031-1196228999_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Here's a quick pic of my new m-style rear diffuser that I bought off Mike aka 323e30. Looks the business!

post-2031-1197882184_thumb.jpg

My clear light kit should be here tomorrow with any luck so I'll update with pics once I've got those installed too. You Chch lads better ooh and aah at the meet this Sunday! Haha! :D

Now that looks nice! Good work.

Mouldings cost $200. Thankfully they came with most of the clips intact because when I went to replace the 7 broken ones at BMW, I got stung 4 bucks PER CLIP!!!!

For that money I expected them to be handmade in front of me by the CEO of BMW Germany!!! <_<

$4 don't sound too bad....I might go pick up one or two...

Just got quoted $340 to fix one tail light.

Gonna have to go wit dirty aftermarket tails now....daaamn.