Sign in to follow this  
markb

m20 head gasket replacement

hey all,

cylinder head gasket blown in my e30 (possible warped head (hope not!!)).

Just wondering if anyone has replaced one themselves and has any advice (tools required etc)

hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has replaced one themselves and has any advice (tools required etc)

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as the job goes (if competent) only different tools that I can think of off hand is a torx socket for the head studs. If not confident then probably best left to someone who is.

Hey there Mate

When the temp gauge rose all of a sudden on my E30 i decided it was a good time to do the job and do it right.

It was not too difficult to remove all the components from the engine. took me about an afternoon and i have never worked on a bmw before.

You need the torx head sockets.

Take the head off get it checked by an engine shop.

At this point i highly reccomend you get your valve seated and the head surfaced a small amount to make things like new again.

You will obviously need a full HG set which is about $190 for all gaskets and New Head bolts should be about another $80 to $120 depending on where you get them from.

Exhaust manifold can be removed while the head is still in the car.

I left my inlet manifold on as the bolts looked a bitch to get to.

Bear in mind now is also the perfect time to have that exhaust manifold checked for striaghtness ( mine was warped enough to leak ) and its also a good time to change cambelt/waterpump/tension bearing.

For me it wasn't too hard it just cost a fair bit .

You would probally want to have a good look at a Haynes or Bently manual before doing this job too.

If you wish to dissassemble the head yourslef you might need a particualr size valve spring compressor. the one i had didn't fit.

And when it comes to removing the Rocker shafts take your time and think about it before you go nuts with a hammer and a dowl ( remove your rocker cover if you don't know what i mean )

Well hope this helps, at least its what i found out. Good luck.

I think Ray@HELLBMW should start looking through his engine list for a E30M20 engine

I feel a WTB urgently is going to be on here soon

hey all,

i have a good cheap M20 2L ready to bolt in if you get stuck .

much easier .