Sign in to follow this  
jrgb

BMW E86 Z4 GTR

Hi Guys,

This probably sounds a bit bizarre, but I'm looking at converting a standard 2005 Z4 roadster into a Z4 GTR (ie: an E86 M Coupe racecar). Has anyone heard of an aftermarket kit / body panel? I've located a company in the US that produce a complete set of carbon-fibre coupe panels for a Z4, but it's bloody expensive, and doesn't look that great.

The only alternative is to buy genuine BMW panels (roof and rear hatch) ex-Germany, and then fabricate the rest. Possible to do, but time-consuming.

We'll also have to fabricate those amazing flared GTR guards, plus front, rear & side panels ... big job, but should look really agressive when finished.

Can't decide whether to fit the 4.4 litre V8 or 3.2 M3 engine (I think the M5 engine will cost too much). Both engines would fit. The 4.4 would be cheaper, and provide greater torque for Targa racing, but the 3.2 revs more freely, and may suit circuit racing better. Decisions, decisions! Anyone out there got any logical reasons for one engine over the other?

Cheers, John

PS: If anyone knows of an accident damaged late model M3 for sale, please let me know. I'd like to salvage all the running gear for this project (if I do decide on the 3.2 engine). Prefer 1999 or newer. Although I'd prefer to buy a complete car (I'd like to use engine, gearbox, diff and brakes), I'd consider buying parts separately.

Cool idea, but what happened to the e46 GTR you planned?

very $$, why not just race an m3? or put it all in a 1 series? or e30!

Hi John,

You may need to do what I did when enquirying about e90 BTCC wide body panels.

Phone keith down at JC parts division. They have access to the motor sport catalogue but he would have to make some proper enquiries.

I have a feeling the panels are only availble if you purchase an actual BMW suppoted motorsport z4.

I would look to germany for the panels as if there are going to be any good aftermarket bits then there would be the place to start, not the US.

Also another thought would be actually contacting the racing teams direct who run z4 motorsports. Im sure they can point you in the right direction or may even be able to help.

we have found this with locating DTM parts for the e30 m3 turbo project.

I would say unless you are looking at getting a true m5 engine, power to weight in a z4 would better benefit using the s54.

here is a site on show to get an s54 going on a non m-specific vehicle with the standard DME. (may have some useful tips)

http://e46.mit.edu/BMW_OEM_E46_M3_Engine_Transplant.htm

cheers

Josh

Id have the 4.4l V8, more torque down low and still rev very well with the right mods. ALOT cheaper to replace, lighter, they are a shorter motor so weight distribution will be better,ideal for targa. Depends what you want most

Cool idea, but what happened to the e46 GTR you planned?

very $$, why not just race an m3? or put it all in a 1 series? or e30!

Andy Culpin from RaceFX is still working on the E46 GTR project - in fact he his currently building 3 of them. I was planning to buy one for Targa / circuit racing ... that was until I saw some images of the E86 Z4 GTR. Being a sports car fan (I currently race a 2-seater, V8 Lexus-powered sportscar in Targa & circuit) there was no debate - it had to be a Z4 GTR.

The Z4 is lighter, lower, and has far less front & rear overhang (important for the undulating roads in Targa), plus it's different. Nothing wrong with the M3, 1 Series, or E30 option, it's just that I like 'different' racecars. So that's why a purchased a damaged 2005 Z4 for the project. The plan is to have it ready for Targa 2008 ... it's Auckland to Wellington next year.

post-1258-1196465887_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

...phone keith down at JC parts division. They have access to the motor sport catalogue but he would have to make some proper enquiries. I have a feeling the panels are only availble if you purchase an actual BMW suppoted motorsport z4...

cheers

Josh

Hi Josh,

Really appreciate the advice. This will be my first BMW racecar, so I need to establish contacts within the BMW racing community.

Do you recommend Jerry Clayton over Team McMillan for racing parts? What is Keith's surname at Jerry Claytons?

Thanks, John

Id have the 4.4l V8, more torque down low and still rev very well with the right mods. ALOT cheaper to replace, lighter, they are a shorter motor so weight distribution will be better,ideal for targa. Depends what you want most

Good advice! I love the 4.4 litre in my 740 ... great engine. Also currently race a V8 powered racecar, so appreciate the torque. What is the weight difference between the 4.4 V8 and the 3.2 litre 6 cylinder?

As I see it, the advantages of the 4.4 V8 are - cheaper cost; more torque; shorter motor so weight set back further. Disadvantages are heat from two headers; possible issues with the steering shaft clearing the wider engine; space to route two exhausts under the car.

Cheers, John

Hi Josh,

Really appreciate the advice. This will be my first BMW racecar, so I need to establish contacts within the BMW racing community.

Do you recommend Jerry Clayton over Team McMillan for racing parts? What is Keith's surname at Jerry Claytons?

Thanks, John

No worries fella,

Keith George (main parts guy there) is his name tell him I sent you and told you he'd look after ya :) (I know I always say this but if you tell what your project is he'll will give you my pricing )

I use JC because I have had nothing but excellent service from them, I have stuck quite a lot of business through them. I had a not so sh*t hot exeprience with Team once and wasn't interested in dealing with them after that.

Give us a PM if and I can hand on people I have established relationship with over the years and who I know wont do you wrong.

around the engine ideas ... the M62/M62TU 4.4 v8 is 146kgs with 286Hp and the s54 3.2 is 148kgs however 343bhp

there is a video of a UUC motorwerks e36 s54 m3 race car with a race prepped s54 putting out 400hp floating around I will post when I can find it

I was considering myself the crashed m3 CSL motor a while back but opted for the s50 as it was 1/4 of the price for our hill climb project :)

it is far higher reving than the v8 could produce which is, personally, where I think you'll be driving the rev range for racing. (which is what the factory Z4 motorsport is running)

Mid range torque is great .. but top end revs are where its at.

The s54 would make a better race engine as they have have all the throttle bodies and oil squirters etc etc to do the task off the bat.

forgot to add

keith imported a set of the BTCC motorsport 18inch wheels (with the crazy offset for the kit) in for their BTCC replica showroom car but unfortunily it didnt fit the standard guards

He should be able to get those wheels in that picture you posted :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine Vital Statistics:

Engine Type: BMW S54

Max Power: 396 PS at 8200rpm (approximate)

Max Torque: 400 Nm at approximately 5750 rpm (approximate)

Max Revolutions per minute: 8400 rpm

Cylinder Capacity: 3246 cc

Bore x Stroke: 87 x 91 mm

Compression Ratio: 12,5:1

Engine Layout: Six cylinder in-line

Cylinder Block: One-piece construction

Crankshaft: Forged steel part

Piston: Forged slipper skirt piston

Con-rod: Steel

Cylinder Head: Aluminium, four valves per cylinder

Valve Train: Two chain driver overhead camshafts with variable valve timing

Cooling system: Water / Air cooler

Intake system: Six single throttle valves

Airbox: Carbon fibre airbox with resonance induction optimised inlet pipes

Exhaust system: Multiple pipe manifold with silencer and catalytic converter

Fueling

Fuel system: Inlet-Pipe injection

Injector: One per cylinder

Fuel Injection Pressure: 5 bar

Fuel Type: 5 star lead-free petrol

RON: minimum 98RON

Ignition:

Engine management System: BMW Motorsport ECU406 with two powerful microprocessors

Cylinder Firing: Cylinder selective optimized Injection and Ignition

Ignition coils: Six high performance pencil-type ignition coils with integrated ignition driver

Sparkplugs: NGK high performance Sparkplugs

Electronics:

Valve Control: VANOS

Throttle: Electronic Throttle Control

Networking: Ethernet Interface and four CAN busses

Distribution and Control of electronics: BMW Motorsport POWER400 Control Unit

Networking of all Sensors and Actuators: Ethernet Interface and four CAN busses

Wire Harness loom: Weight optimised

Monitoring Instruments and gauges: Free programmable LCD Display with shift lights

Drivetrain:

Transmission: Sequential 6-speed gearbox, sintered clutch

Flywheel: Steel

Chassis:

Tyres: Michelin

Front: 27/65-18

Rear: 28/71-18

Brakes:

Front: Grey cast iron disc

Diameter: 380mm / 6 pot fixed calliper

Rear: Grey cast iron disc

Diameter: 320mm / 4 pot fixed calliper

Dimensions:

Length: 4415mm

Width: 1880mm

Wheelbase: 2493mm

Overhang:

Front: 865mm

Rear: 774mm

Rear wing width: 1504mm

Ground Clearance:

Front: 80mm

Rear: 90mm

Fuel tank volume 100 / 120 litres

Minimum weight 1,250kg

1200 kg in Nürburgring Specification

John, Just came across this ...

http://www.studie.jp/stst/stst/vlnz4mcoupe/index.html

company in Japan doing a full motorsport CF kit.

click the arrows to change photos

MATE, YOU'RE A BLOODY LEGEND! Magic ... this is exactly what I was after! I've sent them a couple of e-mails, and I'm waiting for them to respond with pricing details. Probably won't be cheap, but has to be cheaper than developing our own.

There may be a communication problem with Studie (their whole site is of course in Japanese). Know anyone who speaks / writes Japanese?

Thanks heaps, I owe you one! John

That green Z4 was done in Japan, can tell by the plate, the asian man and the fact that the car was parked on the left side of the road, even though it is a left hand drive.

In regards to that engine of the Z4 GTR, I am totally stunned by the power produced by the S54, through all this time I have totally under-estimated the potential of the S54, even on NA, macking down a massive compression ratio of 12.5 which is a very good achievement by any standards...the only things that come close are the Hondas, anyways I am most stoked about the power output of nearly 400ps...from a 3.2L...NA...awesome carbon fibre air intakes. :D

ps...not bad to see that it can still run Octane 98...still "road worthy" :P

MATE, YOU'RE A BLOODY LEGEND! Magic ... this is exactly what I was after! I've sent them a couple of e-mails, and I'm waiting for them to respond with pricing details. Probably won't be cheap, but has to be cheaper than developing our own.

There may be a communication problem with Studie (their whole site is of course in Japanese). Know anyone who speaks / writes Japanese?

Thanks heaps, I owe you one! John

no probs .... just let me do a photoshoot of it whens its done :P

Hi,

Have you heard from them yet? A complete CF-kit costs about €18000 +VAT

/P

http://www.z4gtr.se