Sign in to follow this  
international

Exhaust Advice

Ive been looking on Trademe at some of the Euro-Style exhausts...

I saw this one...

Posted Image

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=129239053

Would this fit a the E36 without going to replace the whole exhaust system?

As well as the inlet, is BMW 2" or 2.5"?

Most of all, if the fitment is possible where would I want to get it done or is there other places which I could go and get something like this done for hopefully under $300.

Cheers...

Does your E36 already have a twin pipe exhaust? If so this muffler won't fit without modification as it doesn't have twin inlets. Also.... I'm not sure you'll make any power gains with just a muffler. It will potentially improve the sound but not much else.

A cat-back system will work much better and provide some small gains in power but will cost a lot more money.

Having said that, do some research and you could have a muffler shop fabricate an exhaust for your car for reasonable coin. $300 won't go far though I don't imagine!! :)

Does your E36 already have a twin pipe exhaust? If so this muffler won't fit without modification as it doesn't have twin inlets. Also.... I'm not sure you'll make any power gains with just a muffler. It will potentially improve the sound but not much else.

A cat-back system will work much better and provide some small gains in power but will cost a lot more money.

Having said that, do some research and you could have a muffler shop fabricate an exhaust for your car for reasonable coin. $300 won't go far though I don't imagine!! :)

The 318i only has a single pipe out at the moment, but behind that pipe is a mssive bulb muffler.

Something like this:

Posted Image

But I do not know if it is dual pipe or single pipe on the inlet.

That pic is of a 325/328 muffler correct? Your 318 will have a single inlet.... looking under the car will confirm this easily.

Did a quick search and the info I found says you'll require a 2.25" inlet. So the example you posted won't fit.

Just a disclaimer: I'm simply a fellow BMW enthusiast and by no means an exhaust expert. But in my opinion I suggest saving up and fitting a cat-back system as you won't gain anything from buying a cheapie muffler off Trademe, except nice shiny tips and a louder exhaust sound than stock!

That pic is of a 325/328 muffler correct? Your 318 will have a single inlet.... looking under the car will confirm this easily.

Did a quick search and the info I found says you'll require a 2.25" inlet. So the example you posted won't fit.

Just a disclaimer: I'm simply a fellow BMW enthusiast and by no means an exhaust expert. But in my opinion I suggest saving up and fitting a cat-back system as you won't gain anything from buying a cheapie muffler off Trademe, except nice shiny tips and a louder exhaust sound than stock!

Thanks very much bro, so if the inlet dont fit, would there be alternative ways of making them fit through a segment joint? or something like that lol...

Thanks very much for the advice...as I never really intended to gain more power but more on the looks...lol...but thats it really helped me clear some questions! :D

If you take it to someone like Al's mufflers in Wairau valley they'll be able to fit it with a reducer or something.

If you take it to someone like Al's mufflers in Wairau valley they'll be able to fit it with a reducer or something.

Oh ok...note taken...thanks very much.

What would be the best recommendation for an E36 318 exhaust?

Something that is not TOO loud - but has a nice quite grunt to it

remus exhaust system...

call woolfe mufflers if in AKL

I wouldn't go to Al's mufflers ever again after the last two attempts of using them. Im sure they were good at one point .. but they are al_rangi now. first hand experience x2.

they f**ked up my e46 exhuast... and my flatmates GSR system (couldnt get parts) .. both of us went to woolfes and they hooked us up good and proper.

Ive been looking on Trademe at some of the Euro-Style exhausts...

I saw this one...

Posted Image

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=129239053

Would this fit a the E36 without going to replace the whole exhaust system?

As well as the inlet, is BMW 2" or 2.5"?

Most of all, if the fitment is possible where would I want to get it done or is there other places which I could go and get something like this done for hopefully under $300.

Cheers...

I brought one off trademe for my old mitsi cost me 90 bucks for the muffler and $150 from pitstop to fit it which included bending up a pipe because the old muffler mouted across the back of the car then out and the bracket it made a little diffrence to acceleration but not alot and it sounded really tinny also alot of them are just polished not stainles so they rust after a while if you just want looks and sound id recommend a higher quality muffler or if you want high performance ive heard alot of good things about remus exausts systems

well thats my 2 cents

I brought one off trademe for my old mitsi cost me 90 bucks for the muffler and $150 from pitstop to fit it which included bending up a pipe because the old muffler mouted across the back of the car then out and the bracket it made a little diffrence to acceleration but not alot and it sounded really tinny also alot of them are just polished not stainles so they rust after a while if you just want looks and sound id recommend a higher quality muffler or if you want high performance ive heard alot of good things about remus exausts systems

well thats my 2 cents

Thanks very much for the heads up...

I went to PitStops today just to check somethings out, they offered me $370 for the same style of exhaust, fitted and a $700~$800 range for a full straight...