Sign in to follow this  
keen

e30 boot springs

Has anyone taken the boot springs of an e30 fitted new ones? is there a knack in doing this or an easy way?

Put one end of the spring in position. Place a small diameter pipe or similar over the other end to give you leverage, hook the bend into the hook on the hinge and twist the free end into place. If you are careful it is pretty easy and they "pop" in.

Hey thanks for that It sounds reasonably straight forward. I like the pipe idea I have a small copper pipe so will try that Thanks again

Copper is pretty soft. I used 25mm OD steel tube.

Also helps if you are relatively small and get into the boot on your back.

Copper is pretty soft. I used 25mm OD steel tube.

Also helps if you are relatively small and get into the boot on your back.

the mental image has me cracking up hah

It does seem funny and to boot I'm just over 6 foot so my legs will hang over the side of the boot But thanks for the up date on the copper pipe I will try it and if that fails will try to get some sprinkler pipe from work. I have visions of this being a tricky job as the springs are for the m tech 2 spoiler they are stronger than the present ones, and are needed for the heavier spoiler.

You're doing eactly what I did. Removing the old springs for the stiffer tech-II ones. Its a fiddly job but only takes 10min or so. Best advice I can give is get in and have a look while the old ones are still in, and I also did mine with the boot lid off as it had to come off anyway which made it easier - was just dealing with a hing, but if you can tie the boot up it should be fine.

You can also use the end of a ring spanner, just make sure it doesn't twist and hit you in the face.

The problem with pipe is you have to do the last little bit by hand and pull the pipe off the end at the same time as there isn't much room. I think on one side I may have used something else as a lever that you can take off without having to slip it over the end. Can't for the life of me remember what it was though.

Also I think its easier if you put the hinge side of the spring in first and twist the fixed end into place rather than the other way around.

Thanks for all the help I did use the copper pipe it was a thick walled piece so was ok for the job you were correct in saying that the tension needed to be watched. It was way more than the old ones that we took out. two of us carried out the operation.one in the boot as recommended and the other giving a hand from the outside. But all good now.Thanks again