Sign in to follow this  
eurobandit

for those wanting the low low look..

i was recently talking to a nankang tyre rep and i notice something very cool in their stocklist.

nankang make a NSII 185/35/17 performance tyre.if you want the low low look these will give you that.im yet to see them but how crazy is that.if you had the need to stretch a tyre onto your 7'' wide wheel.these could be the answer.check your local tyre shop or this forums sponsor

What are you on? You can't lower a car by putting low profile tyres on. Sure you'll be 25mm lower to the ground, but you won't pass a WOF. You have to have a tyre that is within 5% of the original diameter.

That is 8% different to stock for e30 and almost 10% for e36.

Muppet.

PS> I know you know this mate, but seeing as you deal in tyres, how about a bit of sensible advice for those on here who don't know and assume you are giving them the correct advice.

What you should be selling is a 185/45/17 or 185/50/17 if they want to go stretched. Plus you should be telling us the risks of running a stretched tyre.

Otherwise you're just another cowboy.

Edited by bravo

hey bravo

im just letting those who would do this weather i wrote this or not know theres this size tyre on the market.ive been in this industry long enough to know they'l do this wheater its illegal or not and weather it will damage there cars.im not telling people to do this and if you look at what is hot the moment its "drifting".so those in that frame of mind wants stretched tyres.im not a cowboy or muppet .i can talk to customers until im blue in the face about how bad its is but its cool to them.if you look at alot of the modified cars on nz roads they have the wrong size wheel and tyres on them.wheather it be too tall or too low.i was at a meet a while ago and every e30 there had under size tyres on,because it looked lower...

cheers for your thoughts

What are you on? You can't lower a car by putting low profile tyres on. Sure you'll be 25mm lower to the ground, but you won't pass a WOF. You have to have a tyre that is within 5% of the original diameter.

Muppet.

PS> I know you know this mate, but seeing as you deal in tyres, how about a bit of sensible advice for those on here who don't know and assume you are giving them the correct advice.

What you should be selling is a 185/45/17 or 185/50/17 if they want to go stretched. Plus you should be telling us the risks of running a stretched tyre.

hey bravo

i started this topic to let those who would do this weather i told them or someone else told them this product is out.im not telling people this is right or wrong.i know whats hot at the moment is "drifting" and people want to stretch tyres onto wheel.ive been in this industry long enough to know i can tell customers what should be done but it doesnt make a crap of difference because theyve seen it on mtv and want that.i could write all the ins and outs of what should and shouldnt be done,but it wouldnt matter.

im not a cowboy or a muppet,im personally over bouncing down the road but theres guy spending their hard earn cash to get this look.good on them

it might not be your cup of tea,but i see alot of the younger memebers on bimmersport talk about drifting and deep dished wheels

if you check alot of modified cars in nz they have wrong size tyres.wheather it be too high or too low .

thanx for your opinion bravo

Edited by eurobandit

Risks of stretched tyres.

Please ellaborate.

Muppet.

hahaha LMAO :D

why oh why oh why would you put that size tyre on an E30?

I have been in the tyre industry for quite a while now and do see a lot of 'muppet' jobs. Unfortunately Trade Me has contributed to this an awful lot.

What seems to be the cheapest option can often turn into one big expensive exercise. (Could go into a side rant about Trade Me but...meh)

A lot of people mistakenly think that a lower profile tyre will lower their car. Most of this problem comes from tyre shops looking to make a quick buck - they put a smaller tyre on because it costs them less in their wheel and tyre package. One of our biggest customers has switched to us because of this problem.

The average consumer does not realise the technology and development that goes in to a tyre, and how important it is to upsize to the correct size tyre. We have quite a few people who come in with the wrong size tyres on their car, whether it be too big or too small. If you are CLEAR and EXPLAIN to customers WHY they have the wrong size tyre on and what PROBLEMS it can lead to 99% of the time people WILL change to the correct size tyre. The other 1% I don't really care about and would prefer not to deal with them.

Potential side effects include:

Making your auto slush box work way too hard

You could affect the ABS computer - worst case scenario ABS fails

KM's click up way too fast (tyre is too small)

lots of speeding tickets (tyres too big)

Acceleration is quicker with tyres that are too small but your engine works way harder

+ a whole lot more that I will not even go into.

Edited by zenetti

Im speaking from personal experience here, I would not advise 'stretching' a tyre over a rim, in any case why would you need top stretch it over a x7 wheel? I have 16x9 inch wheels on my car and only ran stretch as I had basically no other option. (I.E wheels would not go under the guards with anything more than a 205/40 tyre)

I have now purchased Fully adjustable coilovers so that I can apply slight camber to the front wheels. This is giving me the ability to run PROPER sized tyres. and still maintain no guard rub.

The 205/40's I had on my wheels were sh*t, they rode like sh*t, gripped like sh*t, not to mention after ~2000 k's all of the sidewalls were split and had air in the wall making the tyres uber prone to blow outs etc. In the end I hit a bump in the road which blew out two of the tyres and damaged two of my much loved wheels.

Basically, DONT stretch tyres.

You ARE a Muppet if you do, BTW Just cos the drifters do it dont mean its cool. The reason they do it is because they are on a racetrack and only use their tyres for 2 or 3 laps and dont need traction as much as a road car. The also give the driver the ability to 'spin' their wheels whilst in a drift as not as much traction is availible.

Cheers

Chris

hahaha LMAO :D

why oh why oh why would you put that size tyre on an E30?

who said anything about bmw.im a member of this forum and i have a e30 but i still have other cars aswell and no doubt other members have too..i was simply telling others this size is avaliable not telling them to put on their bmw.

cheers

Risks of stretched tyres.

Please ellaborate.

like any mod theres always going to be someone crying about what could happen.

drifters have been do this for over twenty years in japan and in nz for the last 10 and yes they do get excessive damge to suspension parts, wheels /tyres,steering but thats over time,

but if you lower or putting big wheels on your car,you cause simular damage over time.the factory spend millions on developing a car then the good old kiwis put it apart and change all the handling put stress on all the bearings,bushes and joints.

im not advising anyone to do stupid things,i was simply telling others a very narrow 17 tyre was on the market.and if other forum members are like me have more then one car that are not bmw,they may have a project they are building may require this size

would you really want to give dangerous advice though?

no i was simply saying a tyre is on the market,was not telling anyone to put on their bmw,i know i have more then one car and not all bmws so might others and may require a narrow 17 tyre to fit inside guards.

The above comments simply reinforce my view.

Edited by bravo

who said anything about bmw.im a member of this forum and i have a e30 but i still have other cars aswell and no doubt other members have too..i was simply telling others this size is avaliable not telling them to put on their bmw.

cheers

how many cars out there would take this size tyre? I can think of a few - old skool starlet, Mazda 121 and the like. Not sure how many members here own and would be lowering and putting wheels on these types of cars?

who said anything about bmw.

I thought this was a bmw forum????

There is the right way and the wrong way to do these sorts of things. I'm no killjoy - my car is lowered, has 17's, bodykit etc. But it's all done properly. If you want to do it right, get the right advice.

Mag and Tyre Direct are forum sponsors and will put you on the right track.

Edited by bravo

I have been in the tyre industry for quite a while now and do see a lot of 'muppet' jobs. Unfortunately Trade Me has contributed to this an awful lot.

What seems to be the cheapest option can often turn into one big expensive exercise. (Could go into a side rant about Trade Me but...meh)

A lot of people mistakenly think that a lower profile tyre will lower their car. Most of this problem comes from tyre shops looking to make a quick buck - they put a smaller tyre on because it costs them less in their wheel and tyre package. One of our biggest customers has switched to us because of this problem.

The average consumer does not realise the technology and development that goes in to a tyre, and how important it is to upsize to the correct size tyre. We have quite a few people who come in with the wrong size tyres on their car, whether it be too big or too small. If you are CLEAR and EXPLAIN to customers WHY they have the wrong size tyre on and what PROBLEMS it can lead to 99% of the time people WILL change to the correct size tyre. The other 1% I don't really care about and would prefer not to deal with them.

Potential side effects include:

Making your auto slush box work way too hard

You could affect the ABS computer - worst case scenario ABS fails

KM's click up way too fast (tyre is too small)

lots of speeding tickets (tyres too big)

Acceleration is quicker with tyres that are too small but your engine works way harder

+ a whole lot more that I will not even go into.

hi johno

i guess i opened a big can of worms with how i wrote this.and knew id get alot of people up in arms about it ,but like in every thread i do,i cause a little uproar with people for or against what ive said.

and i was simply telling others on this forum this size tyres is on the market,if there are others like myself who dont only own bmw ,these may suit another of their projects.like small cars running 155/80/13 from factory

yes most people do want correct sizes,but there are those who want stretch,undersized or biggest wheel they can fit on,like 20s on little cars..like they said "you can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink"

the worst thing i seen in the industry is over sized wheels,i had a customer in the other day with 20" wheel he had brought from trade me for his e36 and wanted tyres, there are people in our industry selling what ever to who ever,i told him my thoughts but the person he brought them from on trade me (whos a shop that will remain nameless )said he would be sweet.in my opinion alot of the people in the wheel industry are idiots. the smallest 20" tyre were still too big but thats what he was told him to use by the person selling the wheels.

theres pros and cons to everything that happens in the wheel industry,

if the wheel is the wrong offset;

the wheel bearing will flog out quicker over time which 60% of all wheel on the market are.

all bushes joints will flog out quicker over time

if the wheel is over sized;

wheel scraping on guards

brake failure due to heavier rolling weight.(ive been in a car that needed the handbrake to slow down because the brakes would fail smallest car biggest wheels idiot)

closed - going nowhere