Sign in to follow this  
matwithe30

e30 325i gearbox issues

hi!

any help with this issue would be great!

The problem is my e30 325i gearbox. well i think its that anyway. one night it blew (i was careless going from reverse to drive at 40kph) and it went. it goes about 2kph now in 1st gear but reverse is fine...

is there anything anybody can think of that this would be?

and if so solutions?

one night it blew (i was careless going from reverse to drive at 40kph) and it went. it goes about 2kph now in 1st gear but reverse is fine...

Sounds like you blew it mate!

Doing that is really really hard on an automatic transmission.

yeah its not going anywhere fast thats for sure.

i got a quote on a new box but it was $1800 for a reconditioned one...does that sound right? and how much for a manual conversion?

I'm just impressed that you were going 40 km/h in reverse!! :D

$1800 for a reconditioned one about right. You can pickup a secondhand one in as-is condition for anything from $0-$250. There were a couple of free ones around earlier this year and I paid $150 for a good one not long before that.

Manual conversion will cost you around $1000 - 1500 for the box, conversion parts, and all NEW replacement parts (clutch, etc) if that is more attractive. (Plus labour)

Edited by bravo

$1800 for a reconditioned one about right. You can pickup a secondhand one in as-is condition for anything from $0-$250. There were a couple of free ones around earlier this year and I paid $150 for a good one not long before that.

Manual conversion will cost you around $1000 - 1500 for the box, conversion parts, and all NEW replacement parts (clutch, etc) if that is more attractive. (Plus labour)

if i was to convert it id do it myself i would think with the help of a few mechanic mates. is there any dangers with going second hand as is as opposed to reconditioned?

im doing a manual conversion within the next month i hope so my auto gbox will b available, spose u want it asap?

What gearbox do you have? There are two different automatic gearboxs for the e30 325i, the normal one, and the one with sport mode. If you have a normal gearbox, that most other gearboxs will fit. But if you have the gearbox with sport mode ( they are a stronger box ) then you will need to get another box that had sport mode, or sport mode wont work anymore. The gearboxs with sport mode had there own gearbox ECU as well. Also, if you get one that has sport mode, and your original one didnt, then you will be stuck in limp mode.

I have a Automatic gearbox out of my 325i which has sport mode, which you can have for $150 but you will need to pick it up before friday if you do want it ( going overseas )

So yea, pays to find out what gearbox you have before you go buying the wrong one.

Good luck,

Mark

What gearbox do you have? There are two different automatic gearboxs for the e30 325i, the normal one, and the one with sport mode. If you have a normal gearbox, that most other gearboxs will fit. But if you have the gearbox with sport mode ( they are a stronger box ) then you will need to get another box that had sport mode, or sport mode wont work anymore. The gearboxs with sport mode had there own gearbox ECU as well. Also, if you get one that has sport mode, and your original one didnt, then you will be stuck in limp mode.

I have a Automatic gearbox out of my 325i which has sport mode, which you can have for $150 but you will need to pick it up before friday if you do want it ( going overseas )

So yea, pays to find out what gearbox you have before you go buying the wrong one.

Good luck,

Mark

pretty sure mines just a normal 1, and my cars a 320i not a 325i, duno if they are the same or different

im doing a manual conversion within the next month i hope so my auto gbox will b available, spose u want it asap?

hey man ive gotta get hold of the old boy coz hes got the coin at the moment...how much do you want for it?

Good luck,

Mark

how do i know if it has sport mode? im pretty sure it doesnt but i just wanna make sure coz as you say...i dont want it to not work

how do i know if it has sport mode? im pretty sure it doesnt but i just wanna make sure coz as you say...i dont want it to not work

Beside your handbrake you will have a switch with "S" and "E" and "1-2-3" on it if it's got sport mode. I dont think 320is came out with it so i think you are all good.

Beside your handbrake you will have a switch with "S" and "E" and "1-2-3" on it if it's got sport mode. I dont think 320is came out with it so i think you are all good.

na it doesnt have one of those but its a 3.25i anyway...but ill double check just incase

I've got a reconditioned auto non sports select gearbox from my race car sitting in my garage in Auckland. Where abouts are ya?

Edited by bmw3

I've got a reconditioned auto non sports select gearbox from my race car sitting in my garage in Auckland. Where abouts are ya?

im in auckland aswell. the shore but can travel. how much you want?

320 and 325 gearboxes are the same.

Only "problem" with a non re-conditioned 'box is the risk of it dying on you shortly after. But if it was working fine in the previous car, and you give it a fluid change (and also a filter change and belt adjust wouldn't go amiss), then the saving in cost (IMO) out weighs the risk by a long way.

320 and 325 gearboxes are the same.

Only "problem" with a non re-conditioned 'box is the risk of it dying on you shortly after. But if it was working fine in the previous car, and you give it a fluid change (and also a filter change and belt adjust wouldn't go amiss), then the saving in cost (IMO) out weighs the risk by a long way.

you really know your stuff haha. cheers ive got a few good leads i will follow them up!