Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

haha how easy would this be???

i was looking through my haynes manual for the e30 the other day and noticed it mentioned carby moters a few times and then i thought. (being a huge carby fan) how easy would it be to decide to be different and carby my fl m2ob25 engine. ok i figured i would have to replace intake manifold and dizzy and fuel pump and filter and pull out all the loom etc but i was just wondering if it would be a mamoth job or weather it is feisable???

I'm a big fan of carbs myself but have to ask why bother? Its going to be a potentially expensive exercise. If you are looking for more performance then a cam and extractors are a must as the carbs are not going to do it on their own. There are manifolds available for triple weber or Dellorto setups - so here's a link to a pdf file that may be useful. I think the L-jetronic will lend themselves better than the motronic engines as you will not need to use the ECU at all. http://www.piercemanifolds.com/mangoletsi.pdf

Edited by ducatiss

I don't know much about mechanics but what's the advantage of carb over fuel injection? Why wouldn't most car manufacturer keep using them?

I only know of muscle cars (Mopar or GM specials as seen on the show Overhauling) and hot-rods are still using carb (well, and my old school Mini). Why?

I don't know much about mechanics but what's the advantage of carb over fuel injection? Why wouldn't most car manufacturer keep using them?

I only know of muscle cars (Mopar or GM specials as seen on the show Overhauling) and hot-rods are still using carb (well, and my old school Mini). Why?

No advantage at all.

yeh you are right as there is sweet f.a advantage but how many e30s to you see driving around with sidedrafts on them?

does anyone know if the old carby 6cyl bemer manifolds will fit onto a m20 head? if i can get a manifold to fit then the rest is just plain sailing

the plan (if any) would be to completely rip out every single wire in the car hang a ljet dizzy down the side of the block and make my own wiring oh and get a smaller fuel pump and there realy shouldnt be toooo much more to it than that

e21 323i had m20 with carbs. Copy that setup and use those parts for ease.

I don't know how hard it would be though.

To answer the question as to why manufacturers don't use them - its because injectors make a motor much more economical and it can be tuned more accurately with fuel injection. If you just want to pour fuel down its neck and go like the clappers then you can use carbs, but still would prob be better off just using an uprated injection system with tunable fuel and spark.

Carbs sound badass.

Edited by bravo

side drafts

AH!!!! VERY SUCKY MOTOR

I went from original 4 barrell solex to L-jet injection in my E12 M20 -way better now than on carb -performance & economy

Was easy enough - fit L-jet manifold assy, overlay L-jet wiring / ECU into car, fit electric pump in rear. No reason you cant go the other way but I wouldn't.

You would require an external fuel pump as the pump drive point is blank in the E30 block casting.

just out of curiosity how much performance would you loose by going carby? because i am planning to do this in my e30 and the idea of the project is to have something different and it will be a fun track car. would you still get some decent performance when you also whack on a lumpy cam and extractors etc??????