Sign in to follow this  
bradc

why do people put M badges on non M cars?

Now thats another topic, (how many non AMG Mercs have AMG badges) :rolleyes:

Not many actually to be quite honest, I work for Mercedes (blasphemy I know, It's like being a Satan worshipper in a Chruch) and I've seen about 3 come through with AMG badges in 2.5 years I've worked there.

Not many actually to be quite honest, I work for Mercedes (blasphemy I know, It's like being a Satan worshipper in a Chruch) and I've seen about 3 come through with AMG badges in 2.5 years I've worked there.

Just wondering if that may be because the people who do put AMG badges on their non-AMG cars generally cannot afford to send their cars to the dealer? Ricers are generally younger.

Not necessarily. I'm not talking about salescars alone - service cars too. Ricers still get their car serviced here.

But yes you do have a point.

The people that do have AMG's, do, dear lord, have AMG's. I can tell you that for free.

That 7 series you got there aint small. :rolleyes:

Ive asked girls many times if sizes matter...the answer 9 out of 10 has been no...which I find strange...well, at least from a guys perspective...

Ive asked girls many times if sizes matter...the answer 9 out of 10 has been no...which I find strange...well, at least from a guys perspective...

Are we talking about a vehicle here haha

Are we talking about a vehicle here haha

Submissively...

Thats why girls dont mind driving Mini and VW Bug?? aka small"er" or simply small cars...

Submissively...

Thats why girls dont mind driving Mini and VW Bug?? aka small"er" or simply small cars...

Haha got ya

lol...anyways yea...I wouldnt imagine or would even want to think of you or myself driving one of those cars...

What, haha a mini?

Not necessarily. I'm not talking about salescars alone - service cars too. Ricers still get their car serviced here.

But yes you do have a point.

The people that do have AMG's, do, dear lord, have AMG's. I can tell you that for free.

Fair comment, but out of curiosity do Mercedes promote the AMG brand by having a line of over the counter accessories available to non AMG vehicles and also allow other aftermarket suppliers to use the AMG logo, like i refer to in my original post on this topic.Or do Mercedes have a view that AMG is a brand that should not be messed with and should remain unique.

Fair comment, but out of curiosity do Mercedes promote the AMG brand by having a line of over the counter accessories available to non AMG vehicles and also allow other aftermarket suppliers to use the AMG logo, like i refer to in my original post on this topic.Or do Mercedes have a view that AMG is a brand that should not be messed with and should remain unique.

That is quite an interesting point...where as standard BMWs can option for additional M specifications, Mercs are either its a stock Merc or a freaking AMG...thus, this keeps the value of AMG cars...higher than the standards?

Also to mention, AMG parts are not as widely accessible as M parts...

Thats what i was getting at, because Merc dont offer the over the counter accessories to any old Merc they manage to keep the exclusivity of the AMG unique, unlike BMW who offer upgrades on anything, i suppose its 2 car companies with different marketing strategies.

Aha, but wait a moment lets compare apples to apples, AMG was afilliated with MB for a long while, but MB only became majority shareholder in the 90's and complete owner in 2005, thus it (AMG) was able to take it's own direction with products offered etc. Whereas M technic has always been under BMW's control. AMG was more like ac schnitzer or hartge (until MB took a controlling interest) Although it's quite likely that the company still had it's own agenda up until it was fully owned by MB. (that last comment is purely speculation on my part, being that the founder of the company remained on the staff up until he sold his share to MB)

I think it's probably quite likely that the M badge has sold a lot more (base model non M cars included) BMW's than the AMG brand has for MB, but that's something that cannot be accurately measured.

cheers, Dan

Yes we have AMG Wheels available but I think thats pretty much as far as it stretches unless you have a proper AMG.

As far as I know, we do not sell replacement AMG badges or parts fullstop offhand, you have to order them, and if you had a non-AMG car you would probably would get a few sideways looks. Its sort of like semi-concious protection of the AMG brand, if you know what I mean?

The feeling I have is Mercedes has more of a focus on keeping AMG pretty exclusive. If its an AMG packaged car, its pretty hardout, not just a steering wheel or seats. Youd have the wheels,steering wheel,seats,suspension etc.

When an AMG car comes into work, its a proper AMG car that everyone makes a fuss of. Talking C55, C32, 190e Cosworth or an E55, the full yards....so yes i guess its an exclusive brand. You pretty much either have an AMG or a Mercedes.

As far as I know, we do not sell replacement AMG badges or parts fullstop offhand, you have to order them, and if you had a non-AMG car you would probably would get a few sideways looks. Its sort of like semi-concious protection of the AMG brand, if you know what I mean?

The feeling I have is Mercedes has more of a focus on keeping AMG pretty exclusive. If its an AMG packaged car, its pretty hardout, not just a steering wheel or seats. Youd have the wheels,steering wheel,seats,suspension etc.

When an AMG car comes into work, its a proper AMG car that everyone makes a fuss of. Talking C55, C32, 190e Cosworth or an E55, the full yards....so yes i guess its an exclusive brand. You pretty much either have an AMG or a Mercedes.

Funny you should mention AMG Badges, Today I saw a 1988 Mitsubishi Galant with an AMG emblem on the bootlid. Not sure if it was a badge or a sticker though.

Funny you should mention AMG Badges, Today I saw a 1988 Mitsubishi Galant with an AMG emblem on the bootlid. Not sure if it was a badge or a sticker though.

Either way thats classic :lol:

Actually it was probably genuine, there is an AMG tuned galant, in both the 88-92 shape and also in the suceeding shape as well.

They got tuned up motors and special body kits, the earlier model is not too dissimilar to the 190e kits with a wraparound rear wing. They also got some pretty funky alloy wheels too.

Posted Image

The Galant AMG was released in Japan during October 1989 and production ended in late 1990. So it couldn't have been the real deal.

What a complete joke! I also saw a old skool datson in a performance mag that had an M3 badge on the boot, M3 wheels and the plate DATOM3, What the hell are these people thinking?????????

What a complete joke! I also saw a old skool datson in a performance mag that had an M3 badge on the boot, M3 wheels and the plate DATOM3, What the hell are these people thinking?????????

They want what you don't have.

Wank little boyracers. A carload was following on the way home just then, I was doing about 55kph, they were right up my ass and the light was pretty bright in my mirrors so I slowed right down to 35kph haha and they started to back off.

Just thinking about the AMG versus BMW M thing, HSV don't sell any of their bodykits or wheels at all to anyone unless it is for an HSV car and you can prove ownership. Hence the million commodore executive v6's with 3rd party ugly HSV imitation body kits, big wheels and hsv emblems on them. The M bodykits have always been subtle though, unlike the HSV ones.