Sign in to follow this  
bradc

why do people put M badges on non M cars?

I'm in Melbourne at the moment, and it is just as bad as in Auckland, M badged cars everywhere. I even saw an X5 with them yesterday!

Every second 520 or 316 has M badges on it, despite the fact that it is clearly not even remotely related to an M3 or M5. I realise there have been some cars made from the factory with M badges on them, but imho it simply cheapens the entire brand by putting M badges on everything, kind of like when people put clubsport or HSV badging on their low end POS commodores, but it does seem to be a lot more popular with BMW owners.

imho if it didn't come with M badges from factory, and it isn't a WBS chassis car, it shouldn't have M badges on it, you're just kidding yourself, and everyone that knows better just laughs at you anyway :)

I agree that it's totally lame that people put M badges on any old BMW. I put it down to lack of knowledge. People don't know the history of the M cars and assume that it's just a logo that has a place on their car "because it's a BMW".

I also feel that BMW itself cheapened the "Motorsport" brand by offering M-Spec interior/exterior packages as an optional extra on any base model E36 (think they did it on E46 too).

The only thing you can really do is have a chuckle to yourself and rest easy in the knowledge that you know it's not a genuine M.

Even though it was obvious that these car are not M3 M5 etc is it possible that they might be Motorsport versions which are entitled to have M badging but not followed by a number such as 3 or 5, Also BMW are slightly resonsible for this trend as they were the ones that released a line of accessories for your BMW with the M brand encouraging BMW drivers to personalise their cars. This was in response to the obvious loss of sales to the aftermarket labels and the increasing trend of modifying. As you point out such as Holden with HSV, what the manufacturers are doing is a very clever ploy to get the public to market the top end models such as M3 & HSV thus establishing the desire to own a genuine version. This is why companies such as BMW do not stop aftermarket manufacturers from copying the badging, why should they when they get free marketing and publicity. Though there is nothing worse than seeing a 318ti with a M badge or even worse an M3 badge, the driver is only a victim of marketing who has bought the badge with a wish and a desire to own the real thing. So as far as BMW marketing department goes, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

IMO it is totally fine to have an ///M badge if your car has Motorsport options. As said above you have to look at it from a marketing side of things. The majority of car owners do not need an M3, M5 or M6, they are happy to putter around with a less powerful/less able car that is more than fit for their purposes, and if they like how the M-Sport looks/feels, why not? Stock standard BMWs are great cars, and with Motorsport options they are even nicer to drive and are a very able car. I'm sure if BMW didn't have the M-kitted options it would have lost quite a few sales to other brands that do.

Anyone who chucks an ///M badge on a non-Motorsport kitted car is a pretender. But it's no different to other car brands, ie: Honda (Type R).

Any BMW enthusiast will know that a car with an M badge is not a true M car, and most of us can tell a true M3 from a fake one. I don't think an M badge dilutes the M brand... if you're a true enthusiast, you ultimately bought an M for the driving experience!

I'd lay dollars to donuts that a lot of it is due to the influx of imports at the moment, the vast majority of people driving around in misbadged cars a not the ones responsible for the misbadging in the first place, they simply don't fell the need or desire to remove or replace the badges. I myself am an example of this, my 318is has M3 badges in the side moldings, i haven't removed them (yet) because of the hassle of taking the molding off, taking the badge out of the molding and then paying 3 months wages at the stealership for some more appropriate badges.

cheers, Dan

Dan, I am sure some poser out there will be happy to swap his M badges for your M3 ones, and possibly even pay you some cash too.

I'd lay dollars to donuts that a lot of it is due to the influx of imports at the moment, the vast majority of people driving around in misbadged cars a not the ones responsible for the misbadging in the first place, they simply don't fell the need or desire to remove or replace the badges. I myself am an example of this, my 318is has M3 badges in the side moldings, i haven't removed them (yet) because of the hassle of taking the molding off, taking the badge out of the molding and then paying 3 months wages at the stealership for some more appropriate badges.

cheers, Dan

hi dan if you do replace your side moulding badge at some stage flick me a pm ill buy your old ones the genuine ones on mine are getting sun faded from age and at least they would end up on a real m3.

Dan, I am sure some poser out there will be happy to swap his M badges for your M3 ones, and possibly even pay you some cash too.

Just like putting M3 mirrors on a 318 etc, sure they look good but i bet most are just trying to fool people by saying that it is in fact an M3, same goes with kits as well.

For the same reason strip clubs exist.

It just looks good. But never as good as the real thing.

For the same reason strip clubs exist.

It just looks good. But never as good as the real thing.

But again put a 'M' badge on your car and it's instintly an M series vehicle.

Just like putting M3 mirrors on a 318 etc, sure they look good but i bet most are just trying to fool people by saying that it is in fact an M3, same goes with kits as well.

LOL i've got those as well, but they are staying. There is no denying that the M cars are desirable, and remain unobtainable to a lot of people, thus a lower spec car with a few cosmetic bits is as close as they can manage. Also don't forget that the M3 mirrors are available from BMW as an upgrade option, for the 3's, on the ETKA along with various other M upgrades.

I suppose the difference between me and some other owners is that i'll never pretend that mine is anything more than a sheep in wolfs clothing, despite numerous attempts from lads in jappas to race it from the lights, it's not something i am into.

Actually i followed an avus blue m3 evo down the motorway the other day, he was in front of me and probably managed to work out that mine was no m3, so he put on a bit of a display of 'unwarranted acceleration', from where i was sitting it looked like it nearly got away from him around one corner, mind you he was a fair way up the road from me at that point. Just goes to show that even BMW owners can be bellends, the track is the only place for that kind of crap.

Anyway, theres always the saying: 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'

Edited by isnowi

'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'

I agree. The M cars always look better (although the E92 M3's side mirrors look a bit like Dumbo's ears and take some getting used to) just because they look more aggressive. I don't think there's anything wrong with people modding their cars to look like an M car... putting the badge on is a completely different matter.

Sounds like the driver of the Avus M3 wasn't as capable as his car!

This has been something that has bothered me for a while. Living in the center of town I see a lot of cars parked around here. I've seen at least 4 318/320's with M3 badges. They range from the new badge styling (older ones are flat, new ones are curved) to stickers. It's so infuriating to spend so long (2+ years for me) saving for one to have some dick running around acting like their car is an M3. But what can ya do, people can do what ever they like with their cars so I find it's better to just leave them in a cloud of lean exhaust ^_^.

my car came factory with m spec steering wheel an gear nob an no doesnt make it a motorsport

This has been something that has bothered me for a while. Living in the center of town I see a lot of cars parked around here. I've seen at least 4 318/320's with M3 badges. They range from the new badge styling (older ones are flat, new ones are curved) to stickers. It's so infuriating to spend so long (2+ years for me) saving for one to have some dick running around acting like their car is an M3. But what can ya do, people can do what ever they like with their cars so I find it's better to just leave them in a cloud of lean exhaust ^_^.

Exactly how i feel bro!

The people who do this think other people will think more of them if they have a M car. Often this sort of behavior demonstates a need to compensate for something.... something small maybe?

The people who do this think other people will think more of them if they have a M car. Often this sort of behavior demonstates a need to compensate for something.... something small maybe?

Says the man who has a 7 series and a Merc Converible :lol:

Haha

Merc's don't compensate for much mate.

Now thats another topic, (how many non AMG Mercs have AMG badges) :rolleyes:

Now thats another topic, (how many non AMG Mercs have AMG badges) :rolleyes:

Haha here we go.

That 7 series you got there aint small. :rolleyes: