Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

E30 or E34 Are they reliable cars???

Hi Guys, After owning E38 735 and E36 M3 for over 6 years now I realise that there is not much I can do to it cosmetically or performance wise unless I'm ready to spend huge money so I plan to store it in the garage most of the time and perhaps look for a E30 or E34. I have heard that there is plenty of parts around for these two and more reliable than the later models.

My question is; just how good are they? in terms of petrol economy and reliablility wise.

I am leaning towards E34 525, 535, 540 models if i can find a tidy example.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Our E34 has been great.

Very economical and luxurious as well.

There is not much you can do to hot up the 540 though without going to big expense.

I'm aiming to get to 200kW at the wheels in 2008.

the e30 is great for modding if you want to do anything to do...may i ask why though? the e36 is quicker than all stock e30s, decent $$ needs to be spent on a 325 to make it quicker!

if you just want something to play with, an e30 is your best bet, easy to work on, most parts are cheap. keep in mind its a 20 year old car though so many maintenance items may need replacing if it has not been looked after

Guest 540Si

Our E34 has been great.

Very economical and luxurious as well.

There is not much you can do to hot up the 540 though without going to big expense.

I'm aiming to get to 200kW at the wheels in 2008.

I've had E34's and they've been great too.

I love the 540 it goes and goes and never fails to put a huge grin on my face, but I've had a 535 too and still rate it highly. See Brent's Hartge for what can be achieved.

I'm aiming to get what Cain's getting in 2008 and rip off his ideas for squeezing out more horses so I can keep up with him! ;)

Edited by 540Si

generally my e 34 has been very reliable,but i do get it serviced regularly.As The others have said tho the E34 too is now an over 20 year old design,and are not easy on the gas.the 535 is a very nicely balanced car,the m50 525 would be pretty good but the six speed 540 wow.... :) .They wont use any more gas than a 535,IMHO not quite as well balanced tho(the two I have driven dont feel quite as nice overall as my 535,but fantastic engine)

I have a e36 M3 which runs about 400km out of a 60litre tank and my e38 735i does about 370 out of 65litre tank.

Both cars do half and half in CBD trafic and motorways. How does a e34 540i or a 535i run compare to this?

I did have a 1989 e34 525i about 8 years ago but back then I never paid attention to the petrol economy as such... WHO DID I WONDER, it was like 88cents per litre for premiums! LOL

Our 540 gets 12.5l/100km around town in Auckland, so about 660km per tank. On the open road it's under 10.0l/100km (about 9.6l/100km cruising about 110kph), so a tank will last about 850km after slowing for a bit of round town driving in the provinces.

It's more economical than my 2 year old 2WD Territory.

Edited by Cain

We are on our third E34, we have owned a '90 535i manual, an '88 535iA and our current 540iA. At the current market prices the E34 represent good value for money, although watch out for the "plenty of spares". Our local European Car speciallist wrecker isnt getting any more E34s because they are too old.

For our use, daily driver generally only driving 20K per day, the manual is a waste of time, and is unpleasent to drive in bumper to bumper traffic (you will find leg muscles you didnt know you had).

After owning the sixes and now the V8, I wouldnt go back to a six. The V8 has the same fuel consumption around town, but the V8 is more economical on the highway, as well as having 30% more horsepower.

We paid just over $4K for the V8, being NZ new, its got leather, climate air, although it didnt get a lot of the options that the 535's got....like electric seats...dipping LHS mirror...sunroof (althought this is a blessing it gives me more headroom)

Common issues with the E34s......

Plasma displays on the Instrument panel die, but can be repaired.

Heater valves can get sticky, meaning heater runs hot all the time, can be temporary fixed with a "gentle" tap.

Front control arm bushes/ball joints die, giving a 100kmh shimmy, we replaced the whole arms with some Meyle units off EBAY for around $300, and these had the HD 750i bushes fitted.

All the comments about the E34 are pretty much spot on. It is the best saloon for the $$$, when released in 1988 Mercedes stated it was "too cheap for a car like that".

The 540i is a massively powerful car, i would go for the manual 6 speed any day.(540is)

The manual boxes will outlive any auto (another expensive rebuild), the only downside with the V8 is high mileage rebuilds will cost a pretty penny.(plenty around so hopefully drop another engine in)

The only other issue now is fuel cost, depends how deep your pockets are.

If anyone has a faulty E34 dash cluster i can replace all the caps etc.(electronic techo)

Today, I managed to get from home in Glendowie into town via Tamaki Drive and achieved 8.1l/100km on the way in and 9.2l/100km over the entire journey, including the return trip (which did include 2 full throttle accelerations to the rev limiter).

And I clocked up 200,000km on Tamaki Drive.

Today, I managed to get from home in Glendowie into town via Tamaki Drive and achieved 8.1l/100km on the way in and 9.2l/100km over the entire journey, including the return trip (which did include 2 full throttle accelerations to the rev limiter).

And I clocked up 200,000km on Tamaki Drive.

Thats excellent Cain, the M30 engine couldn't achieve those figures unless i put an egg under my shoe!

The manual boxes will outlive any auto (another expensive rebuild)

Not necessarily.......

Our manual box was opened up at 140K, as it had an issue dropping out of first occassionally. There was some bearing wear, which was suspected to be the reason that the car was dropping out of gear, but the syncros were basically shot. The manual box by my reckoning would cost about the same as the auto to rebuild. The boxes require geniune BMW parts for the bearings according to GearTech, and they are FN expensive.

I've had E34's and they've been great too.

I love the 540 it goes and goes and never fails to put a huge grin on my face, but I've had a 535 too and still rate it highly. See Brent's Hartge for what can be achieved.

I'm aiming to get what Cain's getting in 2008 and rip off his ideas for squeezing out more horses so I can keep up with him! ;)

Nice car. Were you at the Wellington ferry terminal last Saturday?

I don't think you can go wrong with an E34, but as has said, keep in mind that they are at the age where stuff starts to pack up on them. In the past two years I've had to replace the ignition barrel, radiator, fuel pump, and electric window switch.

Stay away from the 2.5, from my experience they're bullet proof but don't cut it in a 1.6 + tonne car.

Last trip I did from Auckland to Wellington (~650km) in my 525i, I used about 55 litres of gas, and she got a f**king thrashing, I was most impressed.

The E34 was launched in 1988, I can't think of any other sedan from the era that would be a better all rounder. I think some pom magazine claimed it was the 'best car in the world' at the time.

I`ve owned a big range of E34`s and have finally settled down with a trio of 540`s. Definately a big step up from the rest. If I could somehow drive in moderation everywhere I to could get the gas consumption figures that Cain managed.

Keep on top of maintainance and they are more reliable than E39`s especially with the electrics.

Considering selling the Blue 540 to fund supercharging the 540is. Here`s some pics if you`re interested.

post-1470-1199438708_thumb.jpg[attac

ment=12844:12_28_9.JPEG]

Ray

0212HELLBM

post-1470-1199438722_thumb.jpg

mr e34 is right...i am a pretty economical driver (i think about it),i dont thrash my car around town and on the open road i use momentum a lot,but i am not afraid to take advantage of passing opportuniies...3rd gets used sometimes.However my last trip from Tauraunga to Wellington three up returned about 24 mpg(11.4 l 100 k) according to my obc...my average for the time i have had the car is 19.9 mpg(14.3 l 100 k)HOWEVER i think the obc is quite pessimistic on my car because when i do the calculations manually i get different figures..I can easily get from wgtn Tauraunga on a tank..which works out to a min of 25 mpg or 11.3...in reality i drive around for a few days before i throw in the customary 62 litres

more detail of "blue 540" ray!manual?,sports seats?km??....

To the M3 Guy if by some chance you have been influenced by these responses to your Question contact me if interested in a `94 540se NZ new with traction control,LSD,electric memory seats, leather,Eibach suspension etc. etc. Bimmersport price $9500 with LSD or $8500 without. (3.25 ratio as opposed to 2.93 standard). 3.91 LSD also avaliable if you need to get there really quickly.

Regards Ray

Guest 540Si

Nice car. Were you at the Wellington ferry terminal last Saturday?

Yes it was me. It's quite hard to miss that car and those wheels isn't it ;)

Left it with my uncle while I went south for the week

I've been looking for an e34 for quite some time (must be manual and either the 535i or 540i), and i'm struggling to find one about the 5k mark... even beat up ones i'm having trouble finding.

Guest 540Si

I've been looking for an e34 for quite some time (must be manual and either the 535i or 540i), and i'm struggling to find one about the 5k mark... even beat up ones i'm having trouble finding.

If you are really looking then I'd just wait - I'm sure a decent 535 will come around under the $5K mark - in fact it's surprising that there aren't any on TM at the moment. Maybe stick a post in the "want to buy section" and see what people can turn up for you, you might be surprised.

A manual 540 would be much harder to find and definitely a lot more $$$

Good luck, I'm sure you won't regret it if you find a 535 manual

Cheers

Si

If you are really looking then I'd just wait - I'm sure a decent 535 will come around under the $5K mark - in fact it's surprising that there aren't any on TM at the moment. Maybe stick a post in the "want to buy section" and see what people can turn up for you, you might be surprised.

A manual 540 would be much harder to find and definitely a lot more $$$

Good luck, I'm sure you won't regret it if you find a 535 manual

Cheers

Si

Cheers, a 535iSE is what i'm aiming for...I think i'll take your advice and post in the WTB section.

Ian.

there is still the red/black one isnt there.5k would be minimum for a nice manual i would think.I have absolutely no reason for making that remark of course! ^_^

Guest 540Si

there is still the red/black one isnt there.5k would be minimum for a nice manual i would think.I have absolutely no reason for making that remark of course! ^_^

At the moment Paul the cheapest manual 535 on TM is a Black '88 M-Tech'ed one on 17" Schnitzers for $10K. Too much IMO.

A month ago there were about 4 or 5 manuals, some around the $5K mark, including a really mint Red ex-UK one owned by a member here on Turbine 2's for under $4500. Since sold I believe.

But I can understand your reasons! ;)

That red/black one, the guy seems like a total c*nt, he never answers questions properly. I think he also wants like 9k or something, a bit out of my price range I think :).

alright then....what do people think a nice 535 is is worth....mine for example.Interior would be one of the best i have seen,mileage is about 235,000,but i service it religiuosly,recently had new radiator and front control arms.

I am seriously considering selling...I dont think anything lower than six...

some pics here other pics will be found on BS.

Guest 540Si

That red/black one, the guy seems like a total c*nt, he never answers questions properly. I think he also wants like 9k or something, a bit out of my price range I think :).

You're not wrong about him

He bought it off trademe for about $2k, invested in a can of black spraypaint and is trying hard to make some big bucks on it