Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

E39 540i MANUAL!

At the time that was done. It would have been an NZ New 540/6 and then given the treatment by Lyall's boys at Motorsport Lifestyle in the Strand.

I doubt it is a genuine S5, although it does have all the external cosmetic bits.

Still a lovely car. I'd say his pricing isn't too high either. Knock 2-3 grand off it and it'd be perfect, in my opinion.

Have recived an email back - offering me quite a good trade in price!

"Hi Braeden

this 540iS5 was done from BMW NZ as Show car. It has all the Schnitzer options on, except the engine, what is the original 4400 cc with 210 KW.As you can see from the Photos:

front/ rear spoiler, boot and roof spoiler, side skirt, Schnitzer alloy wheels, Schnitzer exhaust system, trim's.

You 320 look's nice, with the 125000km it will have a retail value from round $10000 and a trade in from $8000.

Please let me know what you want to do a.s.a.p , this car has lot's of interest.

Kind Regards

Karl Heinz Meyer

Managing Director

Autohaus Rotorua

Tel: 07 348 7444

Fax: 07 347 4970"

Got the go head from the boss (My Grandfather) if I want it - Just not sure yet tho.

Im leaning towards waiting and getting a 530d or something along those lines later in the year.

Email: Mailto:KH.Meyer@Autohausbmw.co.nz

Guest Simon*

Go the V8 manual mate!!! :P

I agree! You have the means, you won't regret it ;)

Even though it's only a dressed up 540i/6 (can't believe I'm saying that) and not an S5 it's still a hell of a car

Even though it's only a dressed up 540i/6 (can't believe I'm saying that) and not an S5 it's still a hell of a car

I can vouch for that, just the schnitzer kit makes it a unique example, not many New Zealand new around (Especially in 6 speed). Only 5 were imported new by BMW as far as I can remember. Auto & Manual

Edited by Nick021

I've got racing at Lake Rotoma this weekend which is close to Rotorua.

Might go for a look/test drive and see how I feel about it then, I'm in no hurry for a new car and quite keen to get something newer.Decisions <_<

Verytempting..I want to upgrade to a 5er this year, unsure if im going to get an e39 or e60 though(company car)

Whats anyones view on the k's?Anyone had an e39 thats done higher k's.

Bearing in mind I do 1000+ k's a week so will add up fast.

Cheers in advance

I had a E39 with 130km on it (when sold) and it was the biggest piece of sh*t I have ever owned, although it was a Japanese’s abused import (never again) that had been in a minor accident, it had never been serviced properly and never garaged.

140km is relatively low km’s for its age, that equates to around 17km a year with isn’t bad we clocked up nearly 30 in our Astra last year.

If it has had all recalls and has been serviced and repaired by BMW (with records and receipts) im sure it would be a nice car to own and drive, I would offer no more than $25k.

What year did these go facelift?

'00

I need someone to go and look at this car for me....if its as close to immaculate as a approx 10 yr car that has had a very good life should be then.....If you go look Braeden can you tell me what you think of it.If you decide you want it yourself you have first shot at it.

I need someone to go and look at this car for me....if its as close to immaculate as a approx 10 yr car that has had a very good life should be then.....If you go look Braeden can you tell me what you think of it.If you decide you want it yourself you have first shot at it.

Probably not going to get it, going to wait a while and get an e60 I think.

Happy to have a look at it for you on sunday tho, anything specific you would like me to look for?

Will take a few more pics for you etc, hopefully they are open so I can get under the bonnet pics and more interior pics.

Won't be near a computer from about 3 tomorrow til sunday night so let me no asap.

One of you guys should get it! With facelift lights it's going to look very nice.

E39 > E60 in looks, in terms of sheer beauty. Though through time it will age a bit more - the design still looks very modern now, definitely one of BMW's best.

Paul the v8 e39's are well know for cooling troubles as the k's get up, water pumps, radiator, thermostat, expansion tank etc. Most of the yank sites make mention of it from around the 80,000ml mark even if they have been well maintained things just seem to give up the ghost so to speak, they do a complete cooling system overhaul.

The headlight adjuster support brackets also give trouble they become brittle and brake, headlights get fogged up either by moisture or the covers become discoloured.

The steering is the re-circulating ball type not as precise as rack and pinion.

Balance is a little off due to the weight of the V8 motor compared to the 530 no doubt their are more.

Put apart from that it does look nice, a light up grade would make it look very tidy.

Price to me is a little steep going on age and k's alone. could get shoot down on that one.

Allan

E39 > E60 in looks, in terms of sheer beauty. The design still looks very modern now, definitely one of BMW's best.

Ahh, you read my mind! I still love the E39 shape, even have it over most of the modern BMW's.

Paul the v8 e39's are well know for cooling troubles as the k's get up, water pumps, radiator, thermostat, expansion tank etc. Most of the yank sites make mention of it from around the 80,000ml mark even if they have been well maintained things just seem to give up the ghost so to speak, they do a complete cooling system overhaul.

The headlight adjuster support brackets also give trouble they become brittle and brake, headlights get fogged up either by moisture or the covers become discoloured.

The steering is the re-circulating ball type not as precise as rack and pinion.

Balance is a little off due to the weight of the V8 motor compared to the 530 no doubt their are more.

Put apart from that it does look nice, a light up grade would make it look very tidy.

Price to me is a little steep going on age and k's alone. could get shoot down on that one.

Allan

Allan, I don't think its fair to generalize. Although I do agree that the V8s do have some cooling issues as i've experienced first hand. Once they've been replaced they'll go for a very long time. A 540 this age has probably had some of the system, if not all replaced.

A lot of the E39 imports in the NZ market are bringing down the name of mint NZ new E39s, as Singapore imports for example, they have a harsh climate therefore it has an affect on the headlight support brackets, and other plastic parts, like the expansion tank, etc.

A nice NZ New E39 thats been well looked after shouldn't have alot of these problems, at this age now.

Allan, I don't think its fair to generalize. Although I do agree that the V8s do have some cooling issues as i've experienced first hand. Once they've been replaced they'll go for a very long time. A 540 this age has probably had some of the system, if not all replaced.

A lot of the E39 imports in the NZ market are bringing down the name of mint NZ new E39s, as Singapore imports for example, they have a harsh climate therefore it has an affect on the headlight support brackets, and other plastic parts, like the expansion tank, etc.

A nice NZ New E39 thats been well looked after shouldn't have alot of these problems, at this age now.

My thoughts exactly.

I think most early E39’s had cooling problems, mine did and it cost me nearly 5 grand!

I would personally go for a facelift M-530i Manuel if you could find one.

Haven't had a problem yet with the V8.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

There is only one better and that has a prancing horse on it.

^^ Like so many automobile judges have said.

BMW V8's are supposed to be among the best.

Don't forget guys, all modern cars use crappy recyclable plastics. They go hard and brittle with age.

They also run the engine temp hotter for emmisions/fuel economy so cooling system is under a lot more pressure.

"Balance is a little off due to the weight of the V8 motor compared to the 530"

The V8 is lighter than the 6

will have to be a minter for me to go any further...will ask more questions if i need too.I belong to an awesome e34 board.....dont know much about e 39 I doubt the m62 is lighter than the M54(?) 2.8/3.0,maybe lighter than m30

edit m54 = 170 kg m62 = 219 or 221 kg...thats a big difference!

Edited by kiwi535

Guest Simon*

will have to be a minter for me to go any further...will ask more questions if i need too.I belong to an awesome e34 board.....dont know much about e 39 I doubt the m62 is lighter than the M54(?) 2.8/3.0,maybe lighter than m30

edit m54 = 170 kg m62 = 219 or 221 kg...thats a big difference!

That 540i/6 site is dedicated to these - can't get more specific than that so I'm sure the resources are available Paul

Why don't you just buy an E34 M5 and be done with it! ;)

That 540i/6 site is dedicated to these - can't get more specific than that so I'm sure the resources are available Paul

Why don't you just buy an E34 M5 and be done with it! ;)

thats always an option,as is a nice e34 540 or maybe manual 328-330 or even 530(d)

Guest Simon*

i would love a 3.8 6 spd....there is a nice 3.6 up North but has the same colour leather as yours....I dont like it.

But it's so practical in a warm climate - oh wait you live in Wellington!

I swore I would only ever have black. Then I ended up with blue in my 535, and now I like my miami vice grey ;)

Ray might swap it all out for you with something else - never know

Edited by Simon*

Told you I would get some flak, so be it but some of the info came from guys on here about 12 months age when I was looking to buy my first bmw.

Nick021 point taken, just passing on info received that was all

Drifter 340i V8 are you talking about the engine only or the whole vehicle

weight-saloon one occupant, ready for road, tank full from BMW hand manual no reason to doubt it.

530i manual box kg (lbs) 1605 (3538)

530i auto 1635 (3604)

540i manual box 1705 (3759)

540i auto 1735 (3825)

M54

straight 6, DOHC, 24v with Dual Vanos, 2000-present, 126kg, 277lbs used in late model Z3 all E39 and E46 six cylinder models

S62

V8, DOHC, 32v, solid lifter valve train with dual vanos and individual throttle bodies, 1999-present 158kg, 348lbs

used in E39 M5 and Z8

Edited by allan