Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Buying a E39 5 series BMW 528i

Hey guys, looks like i might be making a new purchase hopefully tommorow. Got the $$ just gotta make my mind up now. What do you all think?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=133737819

Basically wanted a practical car for general use and travelling and am thinking about the future so want something that I will get a good use out of. My budget was $13,995. Neville the owner wanted $14,495 with the xenon angel eyes which are the only set on an e39 in the country, im paying $13,495.

Cheers Luke

Looks very respectable man, not a bad price for what it is, no e30 now?

Not bad. The angel eyes look soo different with the white look over the yellowish of the original.

Nice find!

haha thanks to me!

its my bosses old car, wel soon to be old car

haha thanks to me!

its my bosses old car, wel soon to be old car

Haha, do you know what he's upgrading to? 540i :P

Edited by Nick021

I don't think it's all that special to be honest. It looks like an ordinary 528i, standard cloth interior etc. The one thing that does stand out is that the owner looks to be a BMW enthusiast with the BMWCC sticker on the rear window, which means it has likely been taken care of well. I would check the service records, see if the cooling system has been done, and all the typical E39 issues that crop up by such KMs have been taken care of.

As for the lights they are nothing special, they are aftermarket headlights - Depo, and the xenon is just an aftermarket xenon kit (spot the ballasts in the engine bay). Might be a re-based kit. So nothing to shout about - OEM (Hella) would be better.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I think it's best that you got an honest opinion. I would price the car at the average price for an E39 of that year and mileage, then add on a premium as you see fit based on service records and actual condition.

You two are correct as far as somone comming into a purchase like this having known nothing about the vehicle it would look like 'yes' it has done a few kms and so forth. But as far as service records and history I know the mechanic who services the car and has been the only mechanic to service the car since Neville the owner imported it from Japan. Everything that has been serviced has been replace by OEM parts and the mechanic is very reputable in the area. The motor is tight no rattles, no leaks at all bar the p/s reservoir which is commone on BMWs so I have been told?

As far as the lights go im just going on what he told me and wether they are a one off in the country it would be nice but at the end of the day they are lights and look the same as any other xenon or angel eyes I have seen.

On average for most kiwis we do around 2000km for each year which is exactly what Neville has done and almost 90% of these kms have been on the open road long journeys which is best for these highway cars right?

And the 540i... he has upgraded to a 530i 2000 model. Oh Greg I still have the E30 should be updating the m50 swap on that soon been a bit whipped haha :unsure: its all finished pretty much been driving it for a month now finding it very impractical as its not running 100% (way too rich) and the superlows and bucket seats are very impractical for daily driving also the exhaust is unbearable after driving for a period of time. So it will be a weekend/project car maybe track one day with the thoughts of forced induction..

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated

Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

Guest Simon*

I have to chip in here too

I'm sorry but for me this doesn't seem a great deal. It's a very ordinary car, nice but ordinary. No leather, no TV/flash ICE unit, standard alloys. Medium km's and sure it's got a service history and flashy light kit but it's very plain. I've had a 5 min look through TM and seen lots of E39's I would buy ahead of this one. He lists $13,995 and wants an urgent sale but he's only knocked 500 off? Sorry

Not knocking you mate, just my opinion.

E: Sorry this one has stuck in my teeth :) Make that HEAPS AND HEAPS of E39s on TM I would buy before this one

Edited by Simon*

Agree with you guys.

Hey out of curiosity, do you know who the first NZ owner was? My old man brought in the identical (as in exact to the colour, trim and rear blind (an unusual option in itself)) car a few years back. Check if the plate was ever JUMPER.

Graham

Luke,

I can totally understand where you coming from in terms of knowing the history of the car. Number one rule is always buy a car based on condition and service history and from what youve said this one sounds like a well looked after car. But having said that dont let it blind the fact that the car has very few of the options that you would expect on an e39.

Now perhaps leather seats, multi-function steering wheels and all that doesnt interest you and if thats the case there is little doubt that this car will do everything you want it to.

However there are so many e39's available at the moment that to you are bound to find plenty have that the same sort of service history and have been looked after just as well but are much better specified with options.

Thanks guys and am glad you are all honest appreciate it alot. That 2nd link caught my attention that u posted markq gotta decide wether I want leather or not though...

The number one concern I have is how sound the motor is etc... and knowing someone that has serviced it since it has been imported who does a good job at it also is just so reassuring if ya feel me? But im open for all opinions especially where theres money involved, like I would like a 2000 model but just havnt quite got the $$$

And to address your question Apex. He has an importers license so imports a select few bmw's being the case with this one. He is the only NZ owner.

Cheers guys

Guest Simon*

I can't quite remember but during my trawl thru trademe I'm sure I saw 2000 vintage E39's in your price range - not ridiculously high km's either

And if your budget is $14K and someone wants $17k for theirs and is in a hurry - wave the cash at them!!!! Everyone knows it's a buyers market - how many thousand E39's are for sale? They have to be realistic too

I'm guessing you haven't bought it yet?

That 2nd link caught my attention that u posted markq gotta decide wether I want leather or not though...

No worries dude. Being NZ New should help too. That one also states it has full service history. If only it had a bigger motor, then I might buy it!

That 2nd link caught my attention that u posted markq gotta decide wether I want leather or not though...

No worries dude. Being NZ New should help too. That one also states it has full service history. If only it had a bigger motor, then I might buy it!

the 2.8 woul have pretty much the same output as the M30 mark...

Can't believe you guys would trade down from an E34 to an E39 :rolleyes:

havent done it yet mate....

Guest Simon*

havent done it yet mate....

Nice :)

One E34 for another that's a different story

I don't have the means to obtain an E34 M5 but I managed to stretch to the 540i/6 (and a whole lot of planets were in line) - that will have to be my M5

But if i did ..... well B)

Thanks guys and am glad you are all honest appreciate it alot. That 2nd link caught my attention that u posted markq gotta decide wether I want leather or not though...

The number one concern I have is how sound the motor is etc... and knowing someone that has serviced it since it has been imported who does a good job at it also is just so reassuring if ya feel me? But im open for all opinions especially where theres money involved, like I would like a 2000 model but just havnt quite got the $$$

And to address your question Apex. He has an importers license so imports a select few bmw's being the case with this one. He is the only NZ owner.

Cheers guys

Mate leathers for limos, you slip off it too easily when going round corners etc.

the 2.8 woul have pretty much the same output as the M30 mark...

Yeah I know, but I'm not thinking 528. in a E39 I would go 535 or 540.

Serious lack of objectivity in this comment by "simon"

All the test reviews of the E39 raved how much Better it was than the E34 - having driven both lots - the E39 wins hands down.

And they look much better as well particularly when kitted with the motorsport bits.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder 3 pedals....there is more to car ownership..i am sure that there are many e 24 and e 28 owners who look on the e34 with disdain.It too received popular acclaim in its time.

An M kitted E34 look fantastic as far as I am concerend as does an M kitted e39.Cars are purey SUBJECTIVE in a lot of areas