Sign in to follow this  
gerrynz2002

E36 328i power loss

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie here and hope someone can offer some advice. Due to an expanding family my wife is now driving my e39 540i and I'm back driving her old e36 328i which used to be my car. :(

However I've noticed that since getting back into it,it is sluggish and down on power from when I had it - almost like it can't breath properly (I'm not a techno). In fact you can barely chirp the tyre's when flooring it from a standing start and this used to be no problem at all (PS/It's an auto...)

The vehicle has done 110k and is otherwise in good condition - any ideas of what may be causing it before I go to the mercy of the repair shop and get reamed..........

Thanks

Gerry

540i has got a lot more power than the 328i, are you sure it is not you being more used to the 540i?

If you are for certain, you can carry out an engine pressure test, should the pressure be lower than expected, then your engine power should be lower than usual.

I dont think 110,000Km is too much, but you never know...

540i has got a lot more power than the 328i, are you sure it is not you being more used to the 540i?

Could be a good diagnosis right there!

I drove the Mrs Evo5 for a week over new years, hopped back in the bimmer and it felt totally slow.

Gerry,

Welcome to the forums. I'd start by checking if there's a leak in the vacuum hoses, long term this could also lead to bad oxygen sensors. Has the car been regularly serviced, have the filters been changed when they need to be? If you can't find the source of the problem I wouldn't spend too much time on it, go to a good independent and get them to check for fault codes, it will help narrow things down.

Check the air filter? My old 2.8 got a bit sluggish when it reached 100+km and the diagnostic put id down to the Vanos system needing a good clean out.

Maybe get a service on it, get everything done, that way it's all o.k mechanically.