Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Who txt's while driving?

Who txt's while driving?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On my way to the Gym yesterday and a Honda Prelude comes round the corner heading towards me.

I notice he is slowing drifting towards the centre and think he must be going to stop and turn to his right.

But he's not slowing, and he's now in my lane.

I hit the horn, brake, and swerve to the left.

As he flashed past I can see the f'ing cell, both hands on it, with his forearms on the wheel trying to steer, and his attention somewhere else.

He might as well been driving with a blindfold on! Hopefully he will soon be fully qualified for a Darwin Award before he hurts anyone else.

Edited by jimbo

i dont like using the mobile whilt driving,and if i do its in low stress ituations like fairly orderly traffi on the motorway.....I might fire off a text at a traffic light or make a call at a traffic light but i try not too.A cell phone takes away your omcentration from driving.And we all KNOW that it takes only a moments inatention.....

I touch text... eyes firmly on the road. If I need to read phone, it moves into my eyesight (which is on the road).

I touch text... eyes firmly on the road. If I need to read phone, it moves into my eyesight (which is on the road).

Whilst the mind drifts off the concentration of the road.....

Guest Simon*

Guilty

I know it's not good and I try to be careful but .... it's far from ideal I know

Whilst the mind drifts off the concentration of the road.....

Nop not at all. Are you saying whilst driving you don't think about whats for dinner... where the company is located at your next errand... what bar you are going to that night?

Obviously I don't text whilst merging on a motorway, but inner-city driving is no worries, some clear motorways sweet (I won't during peak times).

Nop not at all. Are you saying whilst driving you don't think about whats for dinner... where the company is located at your next errand... what bar you are going to that night?

Thats laughable, you seriously think that 'thinking about dinner' is in the same league as holding a mobile in front of your face and looking at that screen instead of the road ?

Unless your Marty Feldman your either looking at one or the other !

I dont really often txt while driving, but have been guilty of touch txting while driivng then reading txts when stopped at the lights..

but I mean if its important enough to have to try drive and txt I genrally just call and chuck it on speaker and have the phone in my lap.

I often talk on the phone while driving, but don't text (however I have done a couple of times - but don't anymore).

Cheers

Grant

Thats laughable, you seriously think that 'thinking about dinner' is in the same league as holding a mobile in front of your face and looking at that screen instead of the road ?

Unless your Marty Feldman your either looking at one or the other !

Having the phone in the same line of sight means that your head doesn't move down like it would to adjust the radio or grab something from the seat next to you. It means I can quickly glance to my screen to ensure I have spelt everything the way it was intended and that it can't be read to mean something else...

I only do it when it is safe to do so and the cellphone is in no-way a distraction to me operating my car is a safe mannor.

It obviously isn't for everyone, but I have no issues with doing so. I pick when I do it, always have a good following distance to start with, and will often be looking 2-3 cars ahead of me so can stop safely. Hence, what's the issue?

Edited by JP

Yea I do it to but at the lights, Ill fire off a quick text or read one.

The thing I dont get is that it takes around 20-25mins to get to most places around Christchurch so surely it cant be so important that it cant wait till you have arrived at your destination.

Hardly ever txt in the car,

I mostly voice call, just means your eyes are on the road, though very awkward in a manual haha.

I can't believe how many people are ruled by the cell phones.

It is never necessary to txt while driving! And get a hands free kit for the other!

I can't believe how many people are ruled by the cell phones.

Agreed. I wrote a 3 page essay on cellphone for my 5th form English exams, sooo passionate about this lol!

I've been guilty of writing "here" when I am about 1 minute away from someones house and firing it away while driving, but never txt properly whilst driving. If its that important, pull over, txt, then when a message is received, read at the next red light, reply, and carry that on.

Do it sometimes. But usually at the lights. My sister is real bad and does it non stop everywhere she is driving.

But txtn is far cheaper than calling for most people. My calls cost me 80c per min. Thats a joke!

I touch txt. and exactly like jp, move the phone infront of my face so i can still see.

The thing is that the people txting don't seem to think it affects their driving, however study after study, and accident investigations prove otherwise. I used to commute every day on a motorcycle, (you get to pass many many cars) and you could spot those using a mobile, their erractic driving stood out, (and you take extra care passing them, they make sudden course corrections) and the most erractic; obviously txting!

I wonder if attitudes on this subject will change, as they have with drink driving. 20 years ago many driver occasionaly drunk and drove, and people were sympathetic if someone got done for it.

Edited by jimbo

I touch txt. and exactly like jp, move the phone infront of my face so i can still see.

That appeared to be what the moron was doing that almost took me out.

So exactly what makes texting while driving more important than someone elses safety?. I'm curious, are txters just really stupid, selfish, or both?