Sign in to follow this  
international

Changing head units

Hi guys, I saw a Pioneer headunit on Trademe, model number DEHP6950IB, I was wondering if this headunit would require any additional wiring or just simply plug and play.

It was said that the headunit of BMWs were originally made by Alpine. Thus, would purchasing an Alpine headunit save me the complication of doing the custom wiring?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I saw a Pioneer headunit on Trademe, model number DEHP6950IB, I was wondering if this headunit would require any additional wiring or just simply plug and play.

BMW uses a special custom BMW stereo connector.

You can buy plug and play connector sets from Repco, to go from BMW to DIN, then from DIN to Pioneer.

Then the stereo is plug and play.

Note that the antenna plug is also the DIN standard, so you will need an antenna plug adapter, available from car stereo shops or Jaycar etc

Jochen

BMW uses a special custom BMW stereo connector.

You can buy plug and play connector sets from Repco, to go from BMW to DIN, then from DIN to Pioneer.

Then the stereo is plug and play.

Note that the antenna plug is also the DIN standard, so you will need an antenna plug adapter, available from car stereo shops or Jaycar etc

Jochen

Thanks very much, can you please give me the heads up on DIN?

A normal Alpine headunit (ie: aftermarket) will not plug and play into the BMW. It has a different connector. When Alpine made some headunits for BMW, they still used BMW's connectors.

As Jochen said - you need harness adaptors. One from BMW to a general type plug (this may be the DIN Jochen is referring to) and another one from the plug to Pioneer. You should be able to get both from Supercheap or Repco for ~$40.

And yes you'll probably need an antenna adaptor, shouldn't cost much.

A normal Alpine headunit (ie: aftermarket) will not plug and play into the BMW. It has a different connector. When Alpine made some headunits for BMW, they still used BMW's connectors.

As Jochen said - you need harness adaptors. One from BMW to a general type plug (this may be the DIN Jochen is referring to) and another one from the plug to Pioneer. You should be able to get both from Supercheap or Repco for ~$40.

And yes you'll probably need an antenna adaptor, shouldn't cost much.

Thanks guys!

DIN is a standardised plug, DIN is the german standards organisation, similarily you may see ISO used to describe car stereos size, ISO is the international standards organisation, quite often based on DIN standards.

Come round and I'll wire it up for you... dont bother with the connectors.

Come round and I'll wire it up for you... dont bother with the connectors.

why? using the connectors leaves it completley un-butchered and he can easily chuck the OEM headunit in if he comes to sell it.

Fair call, but for the time it takes ( 20 mins) and with the use of gizmos such as bullet connectors etc it would be just as easy to reconnect?

Guess its a personal preferance...and just out of curiosity, are the plug and play looms massive? I know that the back of my heady has f**k all space with all the AV ins/outs etc etc so would not be an option for me.

yup the plug and play adaptors are tanks and take a bit to get it all to fit but thay are freakin simple and take no time to do

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-stereos/CD-players/auction-136856096.htm

thats where i get my loom adaptors from really quick postage to overnight

why? using the connectors leaves it completley un-butchered and he can easily chuck the OEM headunit in if he comes to sell it.

Agreed! Go for the connectors. Cost about $40 for the 2 of them and honestly takes about 5 mins to install. The only way to go!

repco and super cheap also sell them

repco and super cheap also sell them

do they also do early bmw to later bmw ones....ie 1990 sony to cd43?

do they also do early bmw to later bmw ones....ie 1990 sony to cd43?

hmmmm i havent heard of an adaptor? I had this problem though with my 92 coupe installing a new heady all we did was take the harness for the old stereo clip of the plug and then attacthed it to the new harness plug, simple as that

and go with that heady i brought mine when they first came out and the features are awesome and direct ipod control is great, drill a hole in the glovey and run you cable through there with a grommit from para or something is minta

Edited by danthaman01

hmmmm i havent heard of an adaptor? I had this problem though with my 92 coupe installing a new heady all we did was take the harness for the old stereo clip of the plug and then attacthed it to the new harness plug, simple as that

I beleive the bmw wiring changed in the early 90's so your pnout wuld be correct for the cd43 even if the plug wasnt quite right.My wiring will be wrong

and go with that heady i brought mine when they first came out and the features are awesome and direct ipod control is great, drill a hole in the glovey and run you cable through there with a grommit from para or something is minta

yes i have cd43 and DICE adapter,you can control ipod from cd43?Does ipod also charge from when pluged in ?

yes i have cd43 and DICE adapter,you can control ipod from cd43?Does ipod also charge from when pluged in ?

yup this heady has a USB 2.0 so put in the ipod jack and away you go charges while driving and when the battery is full kills the charge as not to fry the battery

Any one able to hell me with puting my head deck in my e36 not using adaptors, some one in auckland central?

regards

what size are the speakers in a e36? and it easy enough to replace the small ones in the doors?

Any one able to hell me with puting my head deck in my e36 not using adaptors, some one in auckland central?

regards

The adaptors costs around $20 for the wiring loom and radio conversion head at Appco.

Adaptors really helps...took me 30 minutes to wire them up myself...

what size are the speakers in a e36? and it easy enough to replace the small ones in the doors?

5.25" fronts and 4" rear...

if you are looking replace your speakers, keep the current 4" on the rears...

Just whipped on a Pioneer DEH-P7950UB headunit. Got a good deal at JB HiFi, a really nice headunit that is a seriously good buy for people willing to spend a bit more for a headunit.

Features are great and the sound quality is superb. Even with the standard 6 speakers, the whole car sounds a lot better than expected.

I would recommend people changing their standard headunits first before changing speakers.

I would recommend people changing their standard headunits first before changing speakers.

Good Call, Did this in the red e36 with a decent panasonic headunit and it made a surprising difference.

I'll chuck your heady in for a doz

PM Me

I'll chuck your heay in for a oz

PM me