Sign in to follow this  
zorko101

96 323i And 325. Is there a power difference

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this. I have recently read on the uk bimmersport sport site that the 323 and 325 e36 1996 model have exactly the same power. However the 323 they say is just restricded by the exhaust. Is this true and does anyone have any more information on this???

Secondly i'm trying to find a performance chip for my ecu. Trouble is i cannot seem to find one. Can anyone help me or is it better to just upgrade the ecu to a link of microtec ecu.

Hey mate, first of all welcome to the site....

This topic has been covered a few times, do a search of the site and see what you can find. General consensus is the 323 will get similar power to the 325 by fitting a freer-flowing exhaust, however the M52 engine develops more torque in standard form than the older M50.

Likewise with the chip discussion, this has been covered also.... if my memory serves me correctly, the best idea is to get your ECU re-mapped as opposed to fitting a chip... however you can buy chips from the states or UK.... just don't buy the ones on Trademe!

Hope this helps,

- Mark.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this. I have recently read on the uk bimmersport sport site that the 323 and 325 e36 1996 model have exactly the same power. However the 323 they say is just restricded by the exhaust. Is this true and does anyone have any more information on this???

Secondly i'm trying to find a performance chip for my ecu. Trouble is i cannot seem to find one. Can anyone help me or is it better to just upgrade the ecu to a link of microtec ecu.

325i is 143 kw

323i is 120 something kw , I understand that the inlet manifold is also different. Schintzer used the older 325i one on the 323ti upgrades they used to do in the 1990's to restore some of the difference.

spend the money on a manual swap, you will be much better rewarded. the inlet manifold is different, both have the 2.5 capacity. the 2.3 is a nicer drive due to the torque though..manual would be sweet

Hey mate, first of all welcome to the site....

This topic has been covered a few times, do a search of the site and see what you can find. General consensus is the 323 will get similar power to the 325 by fitting a freer-flowing exhaust, however the M52 engine develops more torque in standard form than the older M50.

Likewise with the chip discussion, this has been covered also.... if my memory serves me correctly, the best idea is to get your ECU re-mapped as opposed to fitting a chip... however you can buy chips from the states or UK.... just don't buy the ones on Trademe!

Hope this helps,

- Mark.

Masny thanks for that mate. I shall have to investigate doing just that. Firstly going with the free flowing exhaust. Any recommendations?? As in bigger pipe dimensions or just free flowing mufflers???

spend the money on a manual swap, you will be much better rewarded. the inlet manifold is different, both have the 2.5 capacity. the 2.3 is a nicer drive due to the torque though..manual would be sweet

Many thanks for that. This may help you guys. My engine is the M52. I found this out through this site.

Hope it may be of some use.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

I have both and a M52B28 and the M50 (325 non vanos) performs a lot better at high revs than both the m52's - the b25 and b28 both outperform the m50 lower in the rev range (but a 4.10 diff sorts that ha ha), you can make a few changes to all of them to acheive what ever it is you want to achieve.

the M50 is 192bhp which is the same as the M52b28.

A manual conversion is simply the best mod for any of these engines and in that form you will not be dissapointed by any of them. In my veiw deciding between them is like splitting hairs and is all down to your application.

I just realised...UK Bimmersport???

Masny thanks for that mate. I shall have to investigate doing just that. Firstly going with the free flowing exhaust. Any recommendations?? As in bigger pipe dimensions or just free flowing mufflers???

Well heres a starting point for you... de-cat and plonking in a coby resonator makes a nice difference (on my M50B25)

agree with the high end of the m50... mines coby'd and podded, and the top ends great compared to the various z3's, 5's and 3's with 2.8L motors that ive driven

however...

that massive torque difference... mate, im a total 2.8 fan :D