Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Heya, a few questions about my new project E30 M323i

Heya, Im Chris, 25 year old aircraft engineer, just brought myself a very well used 1985 M 323i coupe, with a close ratio 5 speed. Previously ive owned r32 skylines, GTZ corolla, and a porsche 944.

The cars not in toooo bad a shape for the 120,000+ Miles on the clock - bit of bog in the RH front gaurd, minor rust in the lower sill of the drivers door, rust under the badge on the bonnet and a touch under the spoiler. Some idiot has tried to paint it in his shed at some point and made a mess, so its going to need a total respray, No idea why it was painted as all the paint where the monkey hasnt sprayed (underbonnet, door sills etc looks mint). The shocks are all reallllllyyyyy stuffed and I think the springs have gone a bit saggy too (my mitzy v3000 handles better at the mo!),Id expect all the suspension bushes to be well koozed after 23 years as well. The diff ,seems to be an LSD :), has a bit of a whine under heavy load so its probably on the way out as well. The gearbox feels very nice, but has a bit of slop in the linkages. Having a look underneath it looks like the rear gearbox seal is leaking and the engine crank seal too.

Ive got a few questions -

1) Is there a PDF version of the manual online? it didnt come with anything - Id just like to know which fuses do what and how much oil she takes - 5L?

2) What shock/spring combo is a good one but not too expensive, I had good experiences with koni adjustables on the 944 - is this a good way to go with the bimmer? King springs OK? Are nolathane bushes available and worth it? Currently its sitting on 15" 60/205's, Id like go to something like a 17" 215.

3) Wheres a good place to go to find E30 parts? What about a crowd who could rebuild my diff?

Thanks

Welcome aboard,sounds like a whole lot of fun!

3.) Ray at HELLBM will source out all the parts you need and more, contact him on 0212HELLBM. He's a forums sponsor and knows his sh!t.

Welcome aboard,sounds like a whole lot of fun!

3.) Ray at HELLBM will source out all the parts you need and more, contact him on 0212HELLBM. He's a forums sponsor and knows his sh!t.

Thanks,

Anyone know anything about these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-137932880.htm

Sounds like exactly what im after to sort out my floaty sponge bmw...

this the 1?

http://pdftown.com/PDF-BMW-E30-M3-Repair-Manual.html

if it is theres a download link at bottom. if not there are a few more, 3,5,7 series on there also. i downloaded one cos the repair manual is $59 :P

Found a haynes manual http://www.e30.eu/tech/E30ManualHaynescomplete.pdf

A couple of pics. Check out the satin finish paint job :wacko:

post-2714-1201483592_thumb.jpg

post-2714-1201483722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jacko

Nice buy. That's the one from Ohakune or thereabouts isn't it? Was wondering when someone would figure out what it was, even with a few issues, was a cheap car from memory. Congrats!

Nice buy. That's the one from Ohakune or thereabouts isn't it? Was wondering when someone would figure out what it was, even with a few issues, was a cheap car from memory. Congrats!

Yup, shes from ohakune, sold new in new market. I think i got a pretty good deal for the 2k it cost, just needs another 8k spent on it :D

Good sh*t. Welcome to the m-tec 1 club.

Good looking coupe. Look after her and she'll look after you.

If you want some reccomendations on suspension most guys like the bilstein/h&r combo.

Nolathane bushes arent readily available but try www.bmw2002.com a few of us have bought from them (Including myself) they are really good to deal with and have excellent product.

Cheers

Chris

Also where are you located? Try Diff's r Us in onehunga/otahuhu

Edited by Mc Lovin'

Bilstien sport shocks with H&R sport springs works a dream for me.

I bought powerflex urethane bushes from dynamic race parts

Good to deal with and product looks pretty good. Yet to install so will let you know in due course.

Talk to Keith (username: SUSPENSION) for your springs and he can recommend shocks to go with them.

Just went to change the oil.

Sump plug is totally rooted, going to have to smack it with a cold chisel :(

Has anyone got a sump plug they would like to sell :D

what aircrafts do u work on?

Hahahaha, you dont wanna know! . Found a sump plug that'll work. realoem.com rocks! gives you measurements of the stock plug.