Sign in to follow this  
international

Some questions about E36 chassis

Hi guys, got a bit of an issue here, just lowered the car slightly today, and is now experiencing scraping on my driveway, this happened before but now its even worse. What the car seems to be scraping on is two beams that run along the front of the car.

I have no idea what they are, tried google without any answers, PBOY's 320i Couple doesnt have them but my 1997 318i Sedan does. The car was manufactured in 1996 according to the chassis number.

What I am asking for those who know what those beams are, is it ok to give it a little scrape here and there or is it the end of the world for me?

I know the car wasnt designed to be on its belly so I dont want it to be like that way...

Hi guys, got a bit of an issue here, just lowered the car slightly today, and is now experiencing scraping on my driveway, this happened before but now its even worse. What the car seems to be scraping on is two beams that run along the front of the car.

I have no idea what they are, tried google without any answers, PBOY's 320i Couple doesnt have them but my 1997 318i Sedan does. The car was manufactured in 1996 according to the chassis number.

What I am asking for those who know what those beams are, is it ok to give it a little scrape here and there or is it the end of the world for me?

I know the car wasnt designed to be on its belly so I dont want it to be like that way...

got a pxt of the beams?

Lol reckon bro if me and Nino and pieere can fit a camera under I'm sure you can. Or jack the car up.

it did drop abit bro , its now just tucking rim when driving but the car is level they were ninos remember in regards with your driveway you are goin to need to experiment how you can do it with out scrapeing it

if nino can get down his driveway im sure you can

also ill put up pics tomorrow when im at mine

I'm not sure what year Pboy's car is, but the very early E36's had a different front suspension set up (can't remember the exact difference off hand). It changed in late 1992.

That is probaby why yours differs from Pboys (assuming his is a 1991 or 92 year of manufacture).

It is hard to tell you without a picture.

Cheers

Grant

I'm not sure what year Pboy's car is, but the very early E36's had a different front suspension set up (can't remember the exact difference off hand). It changed in late 1992.

That is probaby why yours differs from Pboys (assuming his is a 1991 or 92 year of manufacture).

It is hard to tell you without a picture.

Cheers

Grant

92 new new first reged in 93

You arent talking about the chassis rails themselves are you?

If you are then just don't hit anything hard, my mate bent his chassis and pretty much everything f**ked out just from hitting a river bed thing.

askan his car underneath would be much the same as yours an have you had any problems from the odd scrape

Edited by Pboy

I scrape on everything (literally). My road has 6 judder bars before I get to my house everyday.

No problems as of yet apart from an exhaust leak which I don't care about and a very untidy undercarriage :D

You arent talking about the chassis rails themselves are you?

If you are then just don't hit anything hard, my mate bent his chassis and pretty much everything f**ked out just from hitting a river bed thing.

I dont know thats the problem...

yup chassis rails, mine are pretty scrapped but seem all good

bro, just with me alone, it got beached like a freaking whale...let alone with passenger haha, you were good today, good heavy weight footing skills hahaha

I bet Pboys got a heavy pocket full of coins today hahaha...

Hey P, wheres the photos!

You will eventually bend the whole unibody

ahhhh................the joys of being a SLAB :lol:

don't forget also the driveshafts are probably higher at the wheel than the diff now so only a matter of time before they cause a whole lot of problems too

I still love the comment made on another posting.. sort of goes along the lines of spending a lot of money buying what BMW have endeavoured to make "the ultimate driving machine", and then you lot go about spending a lot of time, effort and money making it totally undrivable..

WTF????? :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Will

I still love the comment made on another posting.. sort of goes along the lines of spending a lot of money buying what BMW have endeavoured to make "the ultimate driving machine", and then you lot go about spending a lot of time, effort and money making it totally undrivable..

WTF????? :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Will

Oh, seems like you dont quite understand the fact is that the car is awesome on the roads but its the driveway thats a bit of the issue here...haha

Just don't put any dents in them or you will probably fail your WOF.

Light scrapes is OK.