Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

mitsi evo 4 brakes on e30

got my 2nd bmw last week. its a e30 325i used to be a 320 but has been converted. along with evo 4 front discs and calipers a bigger master cylinder and a front rear brake balancer the brakes mean that u cant fit anything smaller than 17s on it. was just wondering do you guys think these brakes will be any beter than the origianals???

got my 2nd bmw last week. its a e30 325i used to be a 320 but has been converted. along with evo 4 front discs and calipers a bigger master cylinder and a front rear brake balancer the brakes mean that u cant fit anything smaller than 17s on it. was just wondering do you guys think these brakes will be any beter than the origianals???

Sounds like Matt's old car with my old brakes!?!?!

The brakes were a lot better than stock (for my given application).

The question is do YOU need any thing better than stock!?!?!

16's fit over them BTW, maybe not if you are trying to fit the wrong (fwd) offset wheels!?!?!

when you get a chance I would love to see some photos of how this has been done.

Evo 4 shares it brake system with the legnum VR4 and was only avaiable for a short time before they went Brembo. 294mm rotor with twin pot mitsi calipers have to be better than the E30 260mm. But in saying that we have never had a brake problem with E30 series running the std brakes.

when you get a chance I would love to see some photos of how this has been done.

Evo 4 shares it brake system with the legnum VR4 and was only avaiable for a short time before they went Brembo. 294mm rotor with twin pot mitsi calipers have to be better than the E30 260mm.

I think I have some lying around, will dig them out.

But in saying that we have never had a brake problem with E30 series running the std brakes.

*cough* because they don't go that fast or weigh that much *cough*

A full weight E30 (1250kg iirc) with 2.5x the power of a E30 series car needs all the help it can get!!

But in saying that we have never had a brake problem with E30 series running the std brakes.

Which I find really interesting! You guys can easily outbrake my 2002 (a lot of that is the driver), despite me having a pretty decent weight advantage. Other series guys tell me there are zero problems with the brakes.

If I was gonna change the brakes, I'd use Skyline ones personally.

A full weight E30 (1250kg iirc) with 2.5x the power of a E30 series car needs all the help it can get!!

Yet to see a 325i E30 with 2.5x the power of a series car *cough* :P

ps. that would mean 300rwhp :lol:

Yet to see a 325i E30 with 2.5x the power of a series car *cough* :P

ps. that would mean 300rwhp :lol:

That would be because it's (well was) a 323i, and in wgtn.

292rwhp is only a twist of a boost tap away from 300rwhp :P Close enough for me.

That would be because it's (well was) a 323i, and in wgtn.

292rwhp is only a twist of a boost tap away from 300rwhp :P Close enough for me.

I guess it's not a 325i then? ;)

I think I have some lying around, will dig them out.

*cough* Theres a lot of difference between a road car stopping once from a high speed and race car on a track.

Even after 20 laps at manfeild the std brakes in my race car are still good not many road cars can do that.

What i'm trying to get at is the std e30 325i setup is very good

Also race weight for a 320 series car is 1225Kg and doing low 1:15s at puke Not to slow eh

*cough* Theres a lot of difference between a road car stopping once from a high speed and race car on a track.

Even after 20 laps at manfeild the std brakes in my race car are still good not many road cars can do that.

What i'm trying to get at is the std e30 325i setup is very good

Also race weight for a 320 series car is 1225Kg and doing low 1:15s at puke Not to slow eh

Dunno if 1:15's at puke are fast sorry, but with 2.5x the power I imagine it would be substanially quicker.

I also thought they would be lighter than that!! (1050-1100kg)

When I had mine corner weighted (with full interior + all the other heavier components I'm running, brakes, wheels, diff, subframe/RTA's) it was 1250kg.

It's now completely stripped (awaiting cage funds $$) so should be a fair bit less.

I don't use it as a "road" car, it's only road legal because a tow car & trailer aren't in the budget (ever) so need to drive it to the track & back.

At Manfield it has 3 hard stops from ~200kph per lap so yeah, there is A LOT of difference than some boy racer hauling up from a 100mph run from the traffic lights.

1:15 isn't overly fast. But what I'm trying to say is for most applications the std E30 brakes are well up to the task.

Us slow E30 class guys have 2 stops from 180+ at Puke, the one at the hairpin we're not hitting the picks till the 50m board!

For your car however being a proper race car I would be getting the biggest and best brakes you can afford.

Having brakes at the end of a 8 lap race is more important than having 300bhp.

I like the idea of using Evo brakes, are you doing this on your current car?

Yep 1225 kg, No wounder the 320 boys complain about the weight next time you see an 320 E30 series car ask to see there lead collection :lol:

i agree...e30 standard brakes are pretty damn good, even on a stock power 325i

i agree...e30 standard brakes are pretty damn good, even on a stock power 325i

I disagree with that.

As does 1988 Autocar who think they are a weak point... in 1988

Edited by Nick G

hmmm yeah the e30 325 brakes were pretty poo even when I replaced them with stock new OEM parts. Having the 6pot 330mm slotted fr and 2 pot 315mm rr's even on 8x5 rubber is a little bit over kill but id rather have the option to lock up than having fade.

on my car, slowing from 190 at back straight, with slotted fr discs and stock everything else they worked great over multiple laps

if we are talking about how they feel its a whole other ball game! esp being RHD and ABS.

these are my old brakes, i loved em...tried buying them back so many times! offer still stands! Sydwayz, let me know if you want to get rid of them.

1:15 isn't overly fast. But what I'm trying to say is for most applications the std E30 brakes are well up to the task.

I definitely agree.

Us slow E30 class guys have 2 stops from 180+ at Puke, the one at the hairpin we're not hitting the picks till the 50m board!

Driving on limit is another luxury (if you can call it that) I don't have, needing to drive the car home at the end of the day and all.

Having longer braking zones undoubtably adds extra heat into the brakes that could be avoided with a more agressive/racing driving style.

For your car however being a proper race car I would be getting the biggest and best brakes you can afford.

Having brakes at the end of a 8 lap race is more important than having 300bhp.

I like the idea of using Evo brakes, are you doing this on your current car?

I wouldn't call it a proper race car just yet, or belittle a E30 series car (prob. quicker around the track than I would be LOL).

These were my original brakes, they are a fair bit bigger now.

996 Porsche Calipers front & back with Pagid Oranges

Yep 1225 kg, No wounder the 320 boys complain about the weight next time you see an 320 E30 series car ask to see there lead collection :lol:

Well I'll be....

yeh im going to pull all the brakes off to give them a lick of red paint soon so will put up pictures then.

After getting use to driving my E30 325 and then jumping back into a stock 180SX I nearly gave my self whiplash. lol. I want to find some nice stoppers that will fit under my 15" wheels.

After getting use to driving my E30 325 and then jumping back into a stock 180SX I nearly gave my self whiplash. lol. I want to find some nice stoppers that will fit under my 15" wheels.

driftit, the 15x6.5 20 offset rims on my Z31 Clear the Skyline 4 pot calipers i bolted up as a test fit. you know the ones i mean..

So maybe a similar size rotor and a 5 series caliper with a custom brackett or something would work well.

Hmm will look into that. Mate is just changing his twin pot Silvia calipers (same as R32) for R34 ones. Will test fit them up.

What about the master cyl. Can it handle them alright? New one of course.

Oh and I am running 15X8 with 0 offset. So should have more space than the 15X6.5's.

Edited by driftit