Sign in to follow this  
low_rider

sr20det into e30

hey im looking at putting a sr20det or a sr18det into a 320i or 318i e30 bmw

what would be the easiest to do?

any info on this would be great

Guest Andrew

Well - i think it would kill the character of the car slightly - I would do it to any e30 like a nice 325.. but to a 318 or 320 is an OK idea. It depends how much work your doing yourself - at least you know it will fit in the engine bay. Buy a crap e30 and a dead SR20-DE block and head and just start fitting it all together - drive shaft shouldn't be too expensive etc etc. Bit of wiring to do .. i'd budget at least 8000 bucks to do it.

Ask gus - i don't know if he's found out any more about doing it. Or even ask glenn about his 1JZ swap - which I imagine would be a 10x harder swap.

ive been researching it too....wouldnt bother with an sr18det whats that out of anyway? never heard of it.....the sr fits which is the main thing, means custom radiators like glenns doesnt have to used....basically tear old engine out, dummy fit the sr, custom make gearbox and engine mounts, get a custom driveshaft made to bolt up to e30 diff and sr box, then bolt it all in and start wiring sh*t up....simplifies it a lot but thats the basic process, glenn correct me if im wrong. glenns stock diff and half shafts are handling 292RWHP, so they can take it (dunno for how long though) and the reduced torque of the sr means it should be sweet....as andy said budget at least 7-8k for the job to do it properly, im keen to do in a couple of years time, im in no rush so someone else could pioneer it. be careful of not doing it properly...a guy on the shore put a RB20det in his e30....i dunno who did it (it wasnt him) but a couple of weeks later his powersteering blew (another reason i want a manual rack) and engine bay caught fire....not sure of the outcome but im sure it wasnt pretty. the main reason im wanting to do it is that to get anything near 200hp out of an m2o costs a sh*t load, eg andrews car is beautiful to drive (nice and torquey down low) but i couldnt justify throwing that coin at a still functional (if slightly tired) m20 like mine.....good luck and let us know how you get on

sweet...will be interesting to read once dtm starts working again....

(another reason i want a manual rack)

Haha at least my budget 318i has got some good about it. I swear I must have brought the most basic model available. My only electrics are the mirrors. I got manual steering, manual gear box, no CL, manual windows, manual sunroof, steel rims and no fog lights. Oh well, at least it should all last way longer and its lighter. Since buy the car I got bottle caps and fog lights so it aint that bad.

Gus- you sure you want manual steering? I was going to change to power steer.

Edited by petone

yeah man....i could be keen for a swap!

the only luxury item you have is a sunroof! its all lighter! good for you! but yeah....e30 steelies are nasty...and fog lights look cool...

Guest Spargo

Reasearch? My ass!

If you'd done your homework you'd know you can buy off the shelf kits to fit the SR20.

yeah man....i could be keen for a swap!

the only luxury item you have is a sunroof! its all lighter! good for you! but yeah....e30 steelies are nasty...and fog lights look cool...

Hehehe, when I bought my car from the lot 4 yrs ago it had steelies with the gay bma wheel covers...took a few weeks to find som ealloys that'd fit it, not much choice back then.

Are the Alpinas 15" or 16"???

Guest Spargo

Are the Alpinas 15" or 16"???

E21 alpinas, 15"x7"

E30 alpinas, 16" either x7" or x8"

alpinas are 16's, and hot....the staggered ones are very rare and are 16x7 on the front and 16x8 rear

sam i was researching doing it myself, im not about to go and order a kit from the states now am i?

it would be more than 1500...custom FMIC, custom gear box and engine mounts, all the turbo piping, and there will be a lot of misc stuff that pops up....dont take it on unless you have a decent amount of disposable income because it would suck to have a dead e30 on your hands because you dont have enough coin to fix it

Guest WAGON

WAS GOING TO DO IT TO MY 323I A WHILE AGO NO TO HARD JUST SOME CROSS MEMBER sh*t TO CHANGE WIRRING AND SO FORTH BUT LOOKING AROUND 5K MARK DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR THE MOTOR SOME GUY SAID 8K YOU COULD BUILD 2.8L TURBO BMW MOTOR PUTTING OUT AROUND 500HP FOR THAT CASH DO SOME RESEARCH BRO QUEST FOR IN AUCK ON THE SHORE WAS GOING TO DO MINE FOR f**k ALL

Guest Andrew

WAS GOING TO DO IT TO MY 323I A WHILE AGO NO TO HARD JUST SOME CROSS MEMBER sh*t TO CHANGE WIRRING AND SO FORTH BUT LOOKING AROUND 5K MARK DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR THE MOTOR SOME GUY SAID 8K YOU COULD BUILD 2.8L TURBO BMW MOTOR PUTTING OUT AROUND 500HP FOR THAT CASH DO SOME RESEARCH BRO QUEST FOR IN AUCK ON THE SHORE WAS GOING TO DO MINE FOR f**k ALL

Dude.. a 500 hp m20 2.8 is still impossible.. where do you pull all these stupid power figures from?!

8K to turbo your car???

IMHO don't turbo a bimmer engine, use a toymota, talk to Glenn - turboing a bmw engine - blasphemy

Guest Andrew

8K to turbo your car???

IMHO don't turbo a bimmer engine, use a toymota, talk to Glenn - turboing a bmw engine - blasphemy

No its awesome - they handle boost very well and spool up turbos pretty damn quick.

...SOME GUY SAID 8K YOU COULD BUILD 2.8L TURBO BMW MOTOR PUTTING OUT AROUND 500HP FOR THAT CASH DO SOME RESEARCH BRO QUEST FOR IN AUCK ON THE SHORE WAS GOING TO DO MINE FOR f**k ALL

500hp for $8k from a M20, LOL.

I'd be lucky to get 500hp from my 1JZ with $8k, and I wouldn't even need to do any engine work!! Let alone a full forged engine rebuild (pistons/rods).

A'well, good thing dreams are free!!

ps. it's Quest 4 not "for"

Guest WAGON

btw guys that wasnt me posting just some random that used my account at the cyber net cafe im pissed off :angry::angry:

Guest Andrew

btw guys that wasnt me posting just some random that used my account at the cyber net cafe im pissed off :angry::angry:

lol - the guy knew some sh*t though hah.

why a sr20 anyway? the top ends are weak and don't rev and the ecu is just nasty.

P.S. I am also a nissan kinda guy... and I still don't like them!

If you are doing it yourself what about an s2000 engine. 200bhp + ( with a good tune 250 is do able ) and if it'll go an a 120y or an escot, it'll go in a bmw!

Plus add a mugen or hondata ecu and a 6-10 lb turbo, and then your 300+.

Just a thought.