Sign in to follow this  
bazza132

trans fluid in power steering

Took my 320i for first service since I bought it and mechanic told me that some dick head had put trans fluid in power steering when it had its first service from japan oh how clever now im waiting til tomorrow to see if i have to replace power steering pump. watchout for the cowboys out there people they put all the cheap sh*t in beamers when they import them.maybe there is a lesson for me but im going back to the dealer and kickin his arse!!

Hey as far as I know, some cars, such as my M52 E36 uses ATF (auto transmission fluid) for power steering ;o

Edited by curryinahurry

I could be wrong but I believe certain power steering systems use ATF.

yeah i know what you mean but this mechanic has worked for team macmillan bmw and he seems to know his stuff it may be the grade or type of fluid, he did sat it was red trans fluid and not gold power steering fluid and was really to thick for the power steering.

I have a 95 325i.On top of power-steering resevoir cap is written ATF oil only.I assumed ATF stood for automatic transmission fluid.Have a slight recollection of seeing somwhere,maybe u.s bimmer forum that ATF oil is used in power-steering.Havent added any,just my two cents. :D

I have a 95 325i.On top of power-steering resevoir cap is written ATF oil only.I assumed ATF stood for automatic transmission fluid.Have a slight recollection of seeing somwhere,maybe u.s bimmer forum that ATF oil is used in power-steering.Havent added any,just my two cents. :D

Yeah I saw that to somewhere on there as well something rings a bell that even though its got atf on there it is not certain it is trans fluid,may have been a reply by someone on that forum not %100 sure though

Taken from another forum :

"You'll want to use any Dexron-III ATF fluid for your power steering resevoir. I talked to the dealer, and they said brand doesn't matter much. I've always used Mobil 1 oils for everything else, so if I were doing this, I'd use the Mobil 1 Syntec ATF fluid. But, as long as the oil you have is Dexron-III ATF, then you are golden."

ATF is the correct fluid, we use ELF G3 Full synthetic

Only cars with hydraulic suspension or hydraulic brake boosters need special oil

Took my 320i for first service since I bought it and mechanic told me that some dick head had put trans fluid in power steering when it had its first service from japan oh how clever now im waiting til tomorrow to see if i have to replace power steering pump. watchout for the cowboys out there people they put all the cheap sh*t in beamers when they import them.maybe there is a lesson for me but im going back to the dealer and kickin his arse!!

I might also add...your mechanic needs educating.

Not as bad as some goon filling your Auto box with engine oil. lol. Happened to my mates Windom. Box didn't like it much.

I would suggest you find another mechanic. This one is either stupid or is trying to pull a fast one, either way you can only be a loser sticking with him!

Try our sponsor Glenn, I know he knows his stuff!

Will

yeah i know what you mean but this mechanic has worked for team macmillan bmw and he seems to know his stuff

Like other people has mentioned, he might try to pull a fast one on you or something. If he really had worked for them, he should have known better. For all we know, his pants could be on fire.

yeah i know what you mean but this mechanic has worked for team macmillan bmw and he seems to know his stuff it may be the grade or type of fluid, he did sat it was red trans fluid and not gold power steering fluid and was really to thick for the power steering.

The colour of the fluid does not make it wrong. Its only wrong if its the wrong spec. Some guys only know what they have been taught at the dealerships. And they might only distinguish by colour. There is also a difference between G3 and G3 full synthetic... they are both the same colour too. It just might be prudent to change it for peace of mind.

Either use genuine or G3 full synthetic.....up to you. I'd also change gearbox oil, diff oil, antifreeze & brake fluid as well. Then you at least know where you are with it.

Cheers

Glenn