Sign in to follow this  
Biddy

New Mag Wheel Design

This is the first time I've been on here, so I was naive enough to put that I have a Mit Gal, and not a BMW. However, I thought I'd brave it and ask you lovely fellas for some help. I have to design a new Mag Wheel as part of my course and thought I would ask for some help with ideas. Thanks for any input you can give. I have learned alot just reading what you all have to say - many thanks. :huh:

i would say most of us would be looking for a design in keeping withour cars....a great number of which must be, or are aproaching 20 years old

Replica bbs rs's

_design a NEW mag_

Got abit of Chip Foose in you do ya?

Get a mean muscle car then make some wheels to suit that.

For a muscle car, chrome and staggered dish look hot.

Lovely fellas? Are you sure you are in the right place?

There are three camps on this forum:

Those with mid-late 80's 3-series, and 90's 3-series who like them low, loud and with huge, heavy, modern mag wheels

Those with mid-late 80's, and 90's BMWs who like a wheel design that is in the style of the era their car was made.

Everyone else who either has a factory wheels, or owns a much newer model and has the coin to shell out for the latest and greatest in rim design.

I generally prefer rims from the second camp. Generally a 16 or 17" design often with a lot of dish and a staggered setup front and rear. Between 7 and 9 inches wide and then the world is your oyster as far as spoke design goes. Pretty much anything goes from Borbet type A's to BBS RB/RC's and BBS basketweaves, to more modern spoke design.

Maybe post up a few pics of wheels that you like the look of for your design and we could give some ideas on how we would like to see them redone.

Wheel design is open really - check out the rims at SEMA these days - anything up to 42" diameter and beyond, screens and LED's built into the wheels, dish, no dish, lots of spokes, no spokes, chrome, gold, diamond studded, polished dish with coloured centre, polished centre with coloured dish, you name it, it's being done.

Of course. If they're any good.

BTW Biddy, you assumed its a purely guys domain down here. Its not - we have a fairly strong female membership as well.

Edited by bravo

For the older BMW's.

A Staggered Dish 16 or 15X8 or 8.5. Offset of at lease +25. Although 15X8 with +0 offset will go on a E30 and it looks great.

A basket weave would get you good marks if you can design something nice. A little more complex than say what you would find in the Advanti book.

I quite like a deeper colored center piece with a polished or chrome lip. A two or three piece light weight or a forged wheel is the look I like.

I'm none of those 3 camps :)

I like 5 spoke or twin 5 spoke (such as the stock evo 9 wheel or wedsport TC-005's) on japanese cars, but on BMW's my tastes are more varied.

Wheels like the bmw style 126 and the throwing stars are very unusual and I think a unique design like that would be kind of cool :)