Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Eagle F1s

This is more referring to Zenetti but any coments taken on board, i'm currently in need of four tryes, the only thing holding me back from getting my car back up and running, i've got eagle F1s on it now 225/40/18s, was wondering how much of an comfortable ride it would be with 35 profile tyres? And of course price differances?

Now Zenetti you said $208+ per tyre for BS members, is this still running?

Cheers.

yep still the same price :)

there is a common misconception that the "profile size" changes when you go to 35,40, 45 etc.

That number is actually an aspect ratio. It refers to the sidewall height of the tyre as a percentage of the width.

so a 225/40/18 has a sidewall height of 40% of 225

whereas a 225/35/18 has a sidewall height of 35% of 225

so in essence you are dropping 5% out of the overall height of your tyres.

Staggered fit tyres are generally the same overall diameter

ie 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 are the same overall diameter.

I could write a very long winded explanation but it is still early on monday morning and the caffeine has not quite reached my brain yet - do a search on the net for explanation of aspect ratios - hopefully then it will become as clear as mud :P

ps when you do a search use 'i' in tyre - silly yanks!

long story short - run 225/40/18's!

Edited by zenetti

O.k it will stay at 40, i'll be in contact with you in the near future. :)

I run 225 all round, how they came and will stay, 235 or 245 would not fit in the rear i would think, 225 only just seems to clear the inner gaurd.

check this link out:

http://www.tyresite.com/fitment.asp?psearch=BMW

kind of backs up what Greg and I have been talking about, and it's a "european site" :P

a 225/40/18 is the correct upsize for 225/45/17

225*45% = 101.25mm x2 + 17" (431.8mm) gives 634.3mm diameter

225*40% = 90mm x2 + 18" (457.2mm) gives 637.2mm diameter

It all comes down to the design of the tyre as well, some tyres have quite large shoulders. The sectional width will be measured as 225 for example but could be anywhere between 220mm and 230mm.

I don't how how you "set up a tyre", personally I would have thought it would be more to do with suspension.

Edited by zenetti

I don't know if i am repeating myself but the wheels i have on the car are off an E46 M3, whether they have a staggered setup on a E46 i don't know, they arnt on my car, i don't see the need to get bigger tyres at the rear?

Would it make much of a differance if i was to leave 225 on the front and get 235 on the rear? And also could i put 235 tyres on the the same alloy?

I don't know if i am repeating myself but the wheels i have on the car are off an E46 M3, whether they have a staggered setup on a E46 i don't know, they arnt on my car, i don't see the need to get bigger tyres at the rear?

Would it make much of a differance if i was to leave 225 on the front and get 235 on the rear? And also could i put 235 tyres on the the same alloy?

my understanding of m3 bmws wheather be e36 or e46 the wheel are stagger fitment.fronts being 8 '' wide & 9'' rears

as the rear suspension is different to normal 3 series.

i was sure the e36 m3 run 225/45/17 on the fronts and 255/40/17 rears.so if you were to up size to 18'' you would need to run 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rears

so im guessing if you want to run a 235/40/18 on a factory e46 m3 rear rim being 9'' it would be extremely stretched and the difference between 225/40/18 & 235/40/18 are really big,considering the a.b.s.

i would be talking to one of our sponsors, botany motorworx he can give you advise on weather it does/doesnot effect a.b.s

Well the setup i have now is working fine so i may as well stay with what i know i guess.

I know 255 will not fit in the rear archs, way too big.

And if you type in Tyre you are more likley to get European answers rather than American answers - the latter tend to be more subjective and opinionated.

haha - people that live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones :P

Greg - price drop for you $209 incl GST and freight to your door

WOW, that makes it even harder to refuse, awsome, cheers for that.

I'm not going to get into the wheel size/tyre size debate here

All I will say is that, if the rolling circumference is to much different between front and rear on any BMW, the ABS and ASC will will be effected. The tollerance can only be 1-2 kph @ 30kph. This allows tollerance for tyre wear. Exceed that and you will have problems. Some ABS ECU's are more sensitive to this than others.

Edited by botanymotorworx

Had the car for 10 months with these wheels and tyres and had no problem what so ever, it doesn't have ASC so no problem there and as for the ABS it works as well so still no problem!!!

Proberly a good thing that's is it from you! I believe you we're the one who took this off topic about PROFILE size.

:)

[quote name='3pedals' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:38 PM'

that's it from me this thread is going nowhere

:blink:

I understand that you gave me information, thank you for that but if i have the incorrect wheel size on the back do you expect me to go out and buy two new ones that are correct???

Not made of money here.

As i said the ABS etc are still working fine so there is know worry here for me.

Edited by Greg111