Sign in to follow this  
m_reaney

87 m325i

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know anything about this m325i, its history, any former owners on the site etc..

Thanks.

87 m325i

Edited by m_reaney

Looks like a good buy. Has it had a prang in the passenger door? I know from experience that colour is hard to match as it fades very quickly.

Looks like a good buy. Has it had a prang in the passenger door? I know from experience that colour is hard to match as it fades very quickly.

I have no idea. I have not seen the car in the flesh, although the side on image of the pass door does look slightly different.

Apart from that is there anything in particular to look out for (common issues) in general with these models?

Cheers.

I have had my 87 M325i for 4 years now, it has done 172000Miles (277000). I have had no major issues, they just need general regular servicing. But in saying that I gave the engine an overhaul beginning of last year as it started to smoke when I put my foot down. Got new bearings/seals/pistons etc. What do you expect from a car over 20years old though.

common issues

Um pretty much everything rubber will be going bung after 21 years

Clutch master cylinder

Gear box seals

gear box bushings

head gaskets go

power steering rack

power steering pump

G/box mounts

Engine mounts

Radiators pop

Exhaust manifolds crack

Plus heaps of other little things.

Well these were some items i replaced on my one which was the same colour.

Have fun

Nice car,

That door does look a shade too dark and unfortunately only 14" Weaves?

Noticed that on trademe yesterday it looks like a good buy. Would be interested to know the condition

Noticed that on trademe yesterday it looks like a good buy. Would be interested to know the condition

I plan on getting BMW to check it out. Will keep you posted.

I plan on getting BMW to check it out. Will keep you posted.

Realise that BMW will likely say it is sweet. That doesn't mean future issues are not going to come up.

Not trying to put you off, but a whole lot of people on here know the e30 burn.

Don't be naive about a 20 year old car is all I am saying.

It really depends what you are after, if it's a daily run-about then you will likely get a few issues crop up with use. For a sunny sundays only type of drive then with the right TLC could be good for many years to come.

The car is local to me in Palmy so I may go and have a look over it and ask a few questions to check it out a bit more.

Realise that BMW will likely say it is sweet. That doesn't mean future issues are not going to come up.

Not trying to put you off, but a whole lot of people on here know the e30 burn.

Don't be naive about a 20 year old car is all I am saying.

Cheers. I have owned a couple of BM's previous - e30 325i cab and e36 M3 and over that time developed a close relationship with JG BMW, so somewhat aware of the burn, and confident BMW will give me an accurate professional opionion on the car.

This said thanks for yours and everyone elses feedback, I really appreciate your knowledge and experience as mine is fairly limited.

M20 engines are renowned for cracking their cylinder heads also.

Don't ask me how I know...

Nic

When they are overheated.. otherwise they are fine.

car door possibly just in a different light, I get that with my car, silver aswell and it sometimes looks different in photos,