Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

540iS on 18" Alpinas

Dude, they look awesome from close up, not so sweet as the other ones from the distance. Have you brought them?? If you dont want em, I'll buy them for my E39

I prefer the 5 spoke!

The dish gives them bulk and they're more muscular

Guest Simon*

I think that 17x8 and 17x9 throwing stars would look pretty hot on an E34....... /runs!

Ha! Well i did ask mate :)

Only 9" wide at the rear? Poor baby will get vertigo on those skinny rims ;)

Guest Simon*

I prefer the 5 spoke!

The dish gives them bulk and they're more muscular

Cheers Tony - they are much more muscular I agree

the 5 spokes look is nice...when i first got my car i wanted a set of these...one of the cars i drove had them

Posted Image

certain wheels suit the e34 IMHO

style 5s or similar

some of the meshy BBS or similar

the alpina as on the e34 B10

the style 10 s above or similar

Guest Simon*

the 5 spokes look is nice...when i first got my car i wanted a set of these...one of the cars i drove had them

Posted Image

certain wheels suit the e34 IMHO

style 5s or similar

some of the meshy BBS or similar

the alpina as on the e34 B10

the style 10 s above or similar

Subjective subject this one ;)

Paul I can't stand these wheels above! They look awful - sorry

Remind me of some I kept seeing on E36's that I call the "sherriff's badge" - 6 pointed star thingy, make me puke

Your current wheels look sensational I reckon so you must have some taste though!!

I'm just saying the proper fitment E34 Alpinas look better than these E39 ones I've tried - somehow they look small too even though they're 18's

i know simon....its funny about those style 10s isnt it...There are two styles i think the above 17 in ones with a bit of dish,look 100 times better than the ones you are referring too.I loved the look of the car i drove with htese on,delphin gray 535 is,dark grey interior, and the wheels looked brand new.Perhaps colour my judgement,otherwise just the low spoke count look.I wemt off them when i went in to shelleys and was quoted 750 each plus gst(and that was discounted)

Edited by kiwi535

My E34 had 17" Schnitzers on it, (classic 5 spoke) but it sure didn't look as good as Classic Alpina 20 spoke.

They had no dish and and just like a tired old record, heard (seen) it all before on every car.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....q=si&img=94

Edited by mr E34

Subjective subject this one ;)

Paul I can't stand these wheels above! They look awful - sorry

Remind me of some I kept seeing on E36's that I call the "sherriff's badge" - 6 pointed star thingy, make me puke

Your current wheels look sensational I reckon so you must have some taste though!!

I'm just saying the proper fitment E34 Alpinas look better than these E39 ones I've tried - somehow they look small too even though they're 18's

Paul, I am surprised you like those wheels, seeing that you dislike E36s. Some E36s came with that wheel, minus the dish. :P

Simon, did you have to do anything to the wheels seeing they were for an E39, from memory you need to use hubcentric rings to mount E39 wheels on the E34?

Guest Simon*

Paul, I am surprised you like those wheels, seeing that you dislike E36s. Some E36s came with that wheel, minus the dish. :P

Simon, did you have to do anything to the wheels seeing they were for an E39, from memory you need to use hubcentric rings to mount E39 wheels on the E34?

Yeah Yuen

I've had E39 wheels on an E34 before so I hooked up some hubcentric rings straight away

I think the E34 needs plenty of dish and wide rears to give it that really tough stance.

I need to take a couple of pics of the back of mine showing just how fat the current wheels are (and the massive -ve camber too!) :)

yes but dish(and diameter) is the very important difference between the two versions of style 10.I will find another pic of an e34 on 10s...you guys obviously need educating <_<

Posted Image

no?

Edited by kiwi535

Yeah Yuen

I've had E39 wheels on an E34 before so I hooked up some hubcentric rings straight away

I think the E34 needs plenty of dish and wide rears to give it that really tough stance.

I need to take a couple of pics of the back of mine showing just how fat the current wheels are (and the massive -ve camber too!) :)

Awesome :) So which wheels are on the car now? How wide are the Beyerns/Alpinas? Also I'm wondering how much each one weighs, seeing that both don't have a reputation for being light.

yes but dish(and diameter) is the very important difference between the two versions of style 10.I will find another pic of an e34 on 10s...you guys obviously need educating <_<

Posted Image

no?

No :ph34r: The 6 spoke design just doesn't do it for me. I rank those wheels as an improvement from bottlecaps but in general on the E34 I like 5 spokes (Schnitzer, Throwing Stars) or lots of spokes (ie: Style 5, Alpinas). Lip should preferably be polished, and wide... and must accompany any mesh design.

Posted Image

And perhaps the 17" wheel looks better because it has more tyre to it.

Common problem with older cars and rubber bands, just some shape missing somehow.

those schnitzers look hot on that E34, actually the whole car looks hot :)

I dislike 6 spoke wheels as well, just the whole geometry of them doesn't appeal to me. I prefer 5 spoke, twin 5 spoke or 10/15 spoke wheels.

those schnitzers look hot on that E34, actually the whole car looks hot :)

I dislike 6 spoke wheels as well, just the whole geometry of them doesn't appeal to me. I prefer 5 spoke, twin 5 spoke or 10/15 spoke wheels.

+1

Guest Simon*

I have to agree

5 spoke looks good - especially that white one with the Schnitzers. Turbines are hot too

6 spoke shouldn't be done

20 spoke is great on the E34 provided it comes with some dish

Nah Tony it's not the size of the rubber that's the issue - 18's def suit my wagon IMO (like I'm running now) it's the dish/lip factor

Guest Simon*

Awesome :) So which wheels are on the car now? How wide are the Beyerns/Alpinas? Also I'm wondering how much each one weighs, seeing that both don't have a reputation for being light.

Hey Yuen

Beyerns are back on the car now. The set i have are 18's with 8.5" fronts and 9.5" rears, but they're slightly flared and there's a bit of stretch to fit the 265/35's on the rear. I'm sure you're right about the weight issue but when I was lugging them around I was surprised that they weighed less than I expected.

From the rear the wheels look very wide - so yeah, will have to get that photo soon

Hey Yuen

Beyerns are back on the car now. The set i have are 18's with 8.5" fronts and 9.5" rears, but they're slightly flared and there's a bit of stretch to fit the 265/35's on the rear. I'm sure you're right about the weight issue but when I was lugging them around I was surprised that they weighed less than I expected.

From the rear the wheels look very wide - so yeah, will have to get that photo soon

Cool, looking forward to the photos :)