Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

What to look for in a e46?

Hi guys,

I'm planning on having a look at a 98 e46 318i. I've never driven one before, so I don't really know what to expect. Are there any problems I should look out for? And what would be a resonable price?

Any opinion would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm planning on having a look at a 98 e46 318i. I've never driven one before, so I don't really know what to expect. Are there any problems I should look out for? And what would be a resonable price?

Check the rear suspension subframe mounts. The metal wears and tears (metal fatigue) resulting in a fix that can cost thousands and thousands.... sometimes $10,000.

google E46 suspension subframe problems

Read this: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/susp...inforcement.pdf

you can also see videos on youtube:

BMW subframe damage video

Problem was fixed in factory on post 2001 (I think) cars.

Hi guys,

E46 released in 98, probably takes a few years to iron out bugs.

May not be any help but my Mum has had a NZ new E46 for 6 years and nothing has gone wrong with it. Ever. That car changed my opinion of BMW’s, If they are looked after and properly maintained they are brilliant reliable cars so I would sagest getting NZ new with full service history, it may cost a few grand more but you’ll get it back in saved repair costs and resale value.

Check the rear suspension subframe mounts. The metal wears and tears (metal fatigue) resulting in a fix that can cost thousands and thousands.... sometimes $10,000.

google E46 suspension subframe problems

Read this: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/susp...inforcement.pdf

you can also see videos on youtube:

BMW subframe damage video

Problem was fixed in factory on post 2001 (I think) cars.

This isn't really a problem in the 318's as they dont have enough torque to stress the subframe areas.

The problem only manfests itself in M3 / 330 and the occasional 328. The other ways it comes about is people riding around with little or no suspension (cut springs / lowered past 60-70mm)

It also again depends how the car was driven.

Put it this way, I've had my '00 330i lowered for about 3 years to 50mm and its fine.